Gasoline Container

SkyMan

I need to leave my caretaker with a somewhat large container of gas to run my lawn mower.  I have one of those large red plastic 5 gallon tanks from Ace Hardware but that's well used and probably not much use anymore.  The spout got brittle and broke off and handle started splitting so I had to wrap it with electrical tape which only works so well.  I'm going to need to leave more than 5 gallons anyway.  So I thought about getting 2 new tanks but the price has doubled since I bought mine.  I'm thinking about using one of those blue plastic (HDPE) drums.  Not the 55 gallon but the smaller size, like 15-20 gallon size.  I probably won't fill it all the way and would leave it in a perpetual shade spot.  Does this seem like a disaster in the making or reasonable safe?

cookie47

Have a look at this...

A good article exploring the issues of storing petroleum .Short term appears ok ,Long term has issues with the plastic breaking down even though the container appears originally suitable for petrol/gas... probably answers an age old question why hardware shops/mower repair businesses still sell the 4 litre tin containers...(In Australia)

https://www.airseacontainers.com/blog/can-you-store-fuel-in-a-plastic-drum/

Edited by cookie47
Addition
  • Like 1
cookie47
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Does this seem like a disaster in the making or reasonable safe?

Re my last post...

The whole question conjures up inconsistencies as thinking about it whipper snippers (weed wackers) have "plastic" tanks..

• Like 1
SkyMan
6 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Re my last post...

The whole question conjures up inconsistencies as thinking about it whipper snippers (weed wackers) have "plastic" tanks..

The article seems to be a bit biased in buying their Steel drums.  

• Like 1
cookie47

Yeh, you could be right in that.. 
Have you checked   Lazada...

to_dave007

I assume any plastic container would always be stored OUT of the sunlight.

• Like 2
cookie47
35 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

I assume any plastic container would always be stored OUT of the sunlight.

That's true ,but the amount of utes,(pickup trucks) to you see with plastic fuel containers of 20 litres plus (a lot being commercial gardener's) is quite High, particularly in 40 degree C in Aus and the pressure that builds inside is scarry.

I've used the RED plastic containers for years without even a thought .My concern is just because the BLUE drums are described as HDPE Are they of the correct thickness and pressure rating..... And chemical composition.?

Another article.(sorry, im sounding negative ,but petrol is not very forgiving) and I've been around it for many years....

https://www.cnbc.com/2013/12/04/warning-scientists-say-gas-cans-carry-risk-of-explosion.html

• Like 1
Ozepete

Saw a bloke pull up at Marla pub with his cruiser, towing a camper and with family onboard. He had a 'Mack sized home made bull-bar up front which housed two 10lt jerry cans of petrol. He got pissed off when I asked him if he really wanted to bar b que his kids,. Obviously he hadn't thought about what happens to the family if/as a split cans petrol gets sucked into the engine compartment and explodes. :shocked:

• Like 2
fred42

We use 7 liter Wilkinsons bottles and the gallon sized Juice concentrate jobbies.. 

• Like 1
cvgtpc1

Liter glass coke bottles?  Sara Sari store gas station lol

• Like 2
cookie47
37 minutes ago, cvgtpc1 said:

Liter glass coke bottles?  Sara Sari store gas station lol

Not as crazy as it appears.

GLASS ,No issues with static electricity.

The bottle was made to take pressure..

I always shudder when I see them filling a bike with the rider still sitting (which I know happens also in the West).At least with a scooter you have to get off to lift the seat...

One false move and the crown jewels will be gone...😂😂

• Haha 1
cookie47

The only way to "safely" carry/store fuel.IMHO.

Screenshot_2021-04-04-18-42-16-229_com.android.chrome_1.jpg

• Thanks 1
Daddle

The second-hand 10-20 liter polyethylene containers one finds at shops in the provinces are fine for gasoline. But keep in mind they were never intended to be durable in sunlight. Probably intended for cooking oil or detergent. Keep them in the shade, away from the home, and discard at first sign of weathering. Can't beat the price.

Static electricity sparks are a real problem. Touch jug and tank with hands before touching the spout to tank. There must be plenty trike drivers with toasted testicles.

The trick for a purist is finding a proper funnel in the PI

• Like 1
Soupeod

:yahoo:

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Daddle said:

The second-hand 10-20 liter polyethylene containers one finds at shops in the provinces are fine for gasoline. But keep in mind they were never intended to be durable in sunlight. Probably intended for cooking oil or detergent. Keep them in the shade, away from the home, and discard at first sign of weathering. Can't beat the price.

I have a couple of those I use to store used motor oil.  I don't think I'd put gas in them because the rubber seal isn't great and the caps tend to split.

• Like 1