Mars Helicopter Prepares For Takeoff

SkyMan

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25769/mars-helicopter-prepares-for-takeoff/?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nasa-mars&utm_content=20210401-MarsNewsletter

Mars Helicopter Prepares for Takeoff

March 31, 2021

Beginning April 2021, the window opens for the first flight of NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter. It will be history’s first attempt at powered, controlled flight on another planet. Ingenuity arrived at Mars on February 18, 2021, riding along with NASA’s Perseverance rover. Before it attempts takeoff, the Mars Helicopter must first survive the arduous journey to Mars – from the turbulent liftoff to the harrowing landing – as well as dangerously cold nights where it must maintain power to keep itself warm enough to operate. The duration of Ingenuity’s mission is 30 days, where one or more test flights will be attempted.

As a technology demonstration, Ingenuity is testing a new capability for the first time: showing controlled flight is possible in the very thin Martian atmosphere. If successful, Ingenuity could lead to an aerial dimension to space exploration, aiding both robots and humans in the future.

For more about the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter, visit: mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
BossHog

Is this gonna be another thing that crashes and burns upon landing and is hailed as a success? 

• Haha 1
rfm010
16 hours ago, BossHog said:

Is this gonna be another thing that crashes and burns upon landing and is hailed as a success? 

If i were at the controls?  yes.

SkyMan
On 4/2/2021 at 4:40 PM, rfm010 said:

If i were at the controls?  yes.

I don't think anyone is at the controls.  I think they program a course to it and it goes on it's own.  Any control transmitted from Earth wouldn't reach there in time to prevent a crash.  I think I can actually do that with the drone I have.  Just mark some way points and have it go fly the route.

• Like 1
rfm010
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Any control transmitted from Earth wouldn't reach there in time to prevent a crash.  

Pretty much the excuse i would have used if given the chance.

• Like 1