Norwegian National Found Dead - Biliran

Soupeod

https://www.biliranisland.com/blogs/2021/04/01/norwegian-national-found-dead/?fbclid=IwAR0eddbiKaO2nZVLt9Ub0gp168kOec-Fj8tBhhg-1Hs_iR2CoSmWAerDRIs

BiliranIsland.com Staff
BiliranIsland.com
First Posted 11:10:00 04/01/2021

Naval, Biliran – The local police in the capital town in the Province of Biliran are conducting a thorough investigation over the alleged shooting to death of a Norwegian National inside their house about 10:25 in the evening last night Wednesday (Mar 31) in Sitio Kahukaw, Brgy. Villa Caneja here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Naval COP Police Major Michael John Astorga identified the victim as Svein Hakonse y Ingar, 63, married, a Norwegian National who is temporarily residing in the said place with his wife, child, parents and sibling.

The police said that Chairwoman Juanilla Monchedora, of Brgy. Villa Caneja has called their station reporting about a shooting incident in the barangay. Acting on the said report the local police immediately responded and went to the house of the victim which is isolated from the barangay proper and located in the mountainous area. Upon arrival at the house of the victim, the responding police found that the victim was lying lifeless inside his house with a gunshot wound on his jaw.

The police have requested SOCO operatives to process the crime scene.

Meanwhile, Chairwoman Juanilla Monchedora, in an interview said that the wife of the victim went to their house last night informing them of what happened. But she said did not asked anything about the incident because she immediately reported the incident to the police. She added that she learned that the couple has built a house in the isolated part of the barangay but it has a road in front of the house.

Chairwoman Monchedora continued that the couple did not inform the barangay about their building of a house, but they always saw them passing at the barangay hall riding their vehicle.

She added that aside from the couple’s siblings and parents they also hire a security guard.
The local police are conducting a hot pursuit to people they considered as person of interest.

– BiliranIsland.com

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
M.C.A.

So much for hiring a security guard and where was the wife, looks like he was shot in bed.

East Saxon
1 hour ago, M.C.A. said:

So much for hiring a security guard and where was the wife, looks like he was shot in bed.

A good question, he must be a suspect?

• Like 1
streak03

Normally the wife is involved one way or another

• Like 2
smokey

Well in 20 years u hear them all the best one i heard was of a couple he was 65 plus her 30 and her two kids .. well they needed a boy so the wife found one a neighbor she knew many years .. problem was the kids keep calling him pappa

• Haha 2
Kabisay-an gid
3 hours ago, East Saxon said:

A good question, he must be a suspect?

Too soon to consider him a suspect, but I'm sure he's near the top of the list of people that police are going to interrogate. At this point, we don't even know if he was on duty at the time. No sense jumping to conclusions this early, the guard might have a perfectly good alibi. Hopefully the local media and authorities will keep the public posted as the investigation continues.

2 hours ago, streak03 said:

Normally the wife is involved one way or another

Do you have any verifiable documentation to support your statement, or is it just a biased opinion?

Often a foreign husband is the primary means of support for their Filipina wife and her family, so it wouldn't make sense for her to knock off her meal ticket.

Of the many thousands of foreigners who've come through this discussion forum over the last 15 or so years, the only one I remember that was allegedly killed by his Filipina asawa was James Musselwhite's Canadian neighbor in Mindanao. However, that wasn't a surprise to anybody, considering the Canadian was said to have a low opinion of his wife and Filipinos in general, and was frequently verbally abusive of them. 

Yes, sometimes the wife is involved in the death of her foreigner husband, but I've seen no hard evidence that that's true in most cases. In this current case under discussion, she MIGHT turn out to be involved, but it's too early to jump to conclusions based on personal biases.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
cvgtpc1
19 hours ago, Soupeod said:

She added that aside from the couple’s siblings and parents they also hire a security guard.

This reads to me like she recommended now they get a security guard, and they didn't have one when this happened?  :unknw:

Swissrider

I have been living in the Philippines for many years. Doesn't mean I know everthing but often when an expat is murdered without it being a robbery, the reasons are often the same. It can be about money. Either the victim owes a Filipino or his own wife wants his money. Also, maybe he massively insulted a Filipino. You really can get killed for this in the Philippines. Then there is the possibility that the couple might wanted to do business that is reserved for the Filipinos. Like i.e. money lending. Either way, the fact that a security guard was hired indicates that the couple was maybe aware that a threat was imminent. I really hope the police will find the killers. As we know from other cases they never find them unfortunately.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid
11 minutes ago, Swissrider said:

I have been living in the Philippines for many years. Doesn't mean I know everthing but often when an expat is murdered without it being a robbery, the reasons are often the same. It can be about money. Either the victim owes a Filipino or his own wife wants his money. Also, maybe he massively insulted a Filipino. You really can get killed for this in the Philippines. Then there is the possibility that the couple might wanted to do business that is reserved for the Filipinos. Like i.e. money lending. Either way, the fact that a security guard was hired indicates that the couple was maybe aware that a threat was imminent. I really hope the police will find the killers. As we know from other cases they never find them unfortunately.

How do you know it wasn't a robbery? This just happened, and the investigation has barely begun. I don't believe it has been determined whether or not anything is missing from the house.

The fact that the deceased hired a security guard before his death, would indicate to me that he was concerned with a threat originating from somebody OUTSIDE his home, NOT his wife or anybody else living inside the home.

Perhaps a dispute with a neighbor or local official, or maybe just a violent Filipino who hates foreigners decided to do him in.

His wife cannot be ruled out as a suspect yet, but the fact that a security guard was hired would point AWAY from her, not towards her.

Soupeod
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Perhaps a dispute with a neighbor or local official, or maybe just a violent Filipino who hates foreigners decided to do him in.

I noticed how the barangay lady started mumbling about permissions to build etc..As you said who knows? I think most folks are speculating what happen.

Edited by Soupeod
  • Like 2
Kabisay-an gid

Biliran is no stranger to murderous gun-toting punks who shoot foreigners. The article below is from July 2017:

New Zealander is Third Foreigner Shot Dead on Biliran Island in Recent Times

https://philippineslifestyle.com/new-zealander-shot-biliran/?amp

"Three motorcycle-riding gunmen shot and killed a New Zealander in Naval, Biliran, early this morning (Wednesday, July 26).

Following the killing of Simon Rawlinson, aged 63, town mayor Gerard Espina offered a bounty of 80,000 to track down the killers.

As of today, he says that two have already been apprehended, while one remains at large. Writing on his Facebook page, he said: “Caught the gunman with the alleged murder weapon. Two down, one more to go. The driver left. I’ll be late. Just wait.”

The alleged lookout has been named as Manuelito Estreller and the gunman as Antonio Rubaro.

The New Zealander lived at Barangay Bato in Maripipi.

There is no known motive for the killing, but — suggestively — the mayor also wrote on Facebook: “Its early to tell if this is related to the number of reported incidences which involved the gunned person in Maripipi.

“Let’s suspend our speculations. Once we have apprehended the gunmen, we will know the whole story.”

Other foreigners murdered

The killing is the third shooting of a foreigner by gunmen riding in tandem on the Eastern Visayan island in recent times.

In June last year we reported how 74-year-old Henk Nuits, a Dutch businessman, was shot dead by a pillion rider. His 11-year-old son, Jake Henry, was shot in the chest but survived.

Former US Marine Harvey Abrams who was gunned down on Biliran Island in March this year

Then, in March this year, former US Marine Harvey Abrams was also shot by motorcycle-riding assassins.

In both these previous killings the victims were driving their own vehicles when targeted, while Mr Rawlinson was on foot."

• Thanks 2
Swissrider

How do you know it wasn't a robbery? This just happened, and the investigation has barely begun. I don't believe it has been determined whether or not anything is missing from the house.
The fact that the deceased hired a security guard before his death, would indicate to me that he was concerned with a threat originating from somebody OUTSIDE his home, NOT his wife or anybody else living inside the home.
His wife cannot be ruled out as a suspect yet, but the fact that a security guard was hired would point AWAY from her, not towards her.

I did not claim anything. I just outlined what is often the reason behind such cases. But seems you know better what really happened.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 2
Kabisay-an gid
9 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

I noticed how the barangay lady started mumbling about permissions to build etc..As you said who knows? I think most folks are speculating what happen.

A property dispute is a definite possibility. If you have the time, keep us posted on updates to this story. Thanks.

Soupeod
49 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Biliran is no stranger to murderous gun-toting punks who shoot foreigners. The article below is from July 2017:

New Zealander is Third Foreigner Shot Dead on Biliran Island in Recent Times

https://philippineslifestyle.com/new-zealander-shot-biliran/?amp

"Three motorcycle-riding gunmen shot and killed a New Zealander in Naval, Biliran, early this morning (Wednesday, July 26).

Following the killing of Simon Rawlinson, aged 63, town mayor Gerard Espina offered a bounty of 80,000 to track down the killers.

As of today, he says that two have already been apprehended, while one remains at large. Writing on his Facebook page, he said: “Caught the gunman with the alleged murder weapon. Two down, one more to go. The driver left. I’ll be late. Just wait.”

The alleged lookout has been named as Manuelito Estreller and the gunman as Antonio Rubaro.

The New Zealander lived at Barangay Bato in Maripipi.

There is no known motive for the killing, but — suggestively — the mayor also wrote on Facebook: “Its early to tell if this is related to the number of reported incidences which involved the gunned person in Maripipi.

“Let’s suspend our speculations. Once we have apprehended the gunmen, we will know the whole story.”

Other foreigners murdered

The killing is the third shooting of a foreigner by gunmen riding in tandem on the Eastern Visayan island in recent times.

In June last year we reported how 74-year-old Henk Nuits, a Dutch businessman, was shot dead by a pillion rider. His 11-year-old son, Jake Henry, was shot in the chest but survived.

Former US Marine Harvey Abrams who was gunned down on Biliran Island in March this year

Then, in March this year, former US Marine Harvey Abrams was also shot by motorcycle-riding assassins.

In both these previous killings the victims were driving their own vehicles when targeted, while Mr Rawlinson was on foot."

Side note - All of those were land disputes if I recall correctly.

39 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

A property dispute is a definite possibility. If you have the time, keep us posted on updates to this story. Thanks.

If I hear anything I will.

• Like 1
smokey

Lets see are foreigners killed by family members ? Hummm sure   does anything get done  about it ? Not often    WHY?    Well who will file the case .. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1