Mobile number portability seen to help DITO corner 30% of telco market

• Administrator
Dafey

DITO Telecommunity Corp. said on Monday the planned implementation of the mobile number portability law would help the company achieve its target of capturing 30% of the telco market.

“Now, ‘yung laban natin (the competition) will really be on the quality of service,” DITO Chief Administrative Officer Adel A. Tamano said at a virtual briefing, noting that switching telecommunication networks will be easier once consumers are allowed to retain their contact digits.

“What mobile number portability does is that you can keep your number, and you are not forced to stay with the current telco that you have,” he added.

DITO Chief Technology Officer Rodolfo D. Santiago said the new telco player, which launched its mobile services in Metro Cebu and Metro Davao on Monday, targets to corner 30% of the market “as soon as possible.”

DITO is currently capable of serving 37.48% of the country’s population based on the technical audit report by R.G. Manabat & Co.

Thirty percent of the telco market is “more than enough” for DITO to be profitable, according to Mr. Santiago.

“(But) we cannot achieve the 30% market share with just 37% (national population coverage),” he noted.

“Pinakamadali siyang ma-achieve kapag 84% na ‘yung population coverage or higher (Achieving the target is easier if we increase our population coverage to 84% or higher),” Mr. Santiago explained.

The telco has a commitment to cover 84% of the population and provide an internet speed of at least 55 megabits per second (Mbps) by the end of its fifth year of commercial operations.

“We’re not contemplating on achieving the five-year commitment of 84% in five years; we want to achieve that very soon,” Mr. Santiago said.

The Securities and Exchange Commission approved in January last year the creation of the Telecommunications Connectivity, Inc. that would ease the portability of mobile phone numbers.

The new company would enable number porting services in line with the new mobile number portability initiative of the government or Republic Act No. 11202, also known as the Mobile Number Portability Act.

It was jointly put up by the country’s major telecommunications companies.

“We are fixing a few things. But maybe by July, it will be available to the public,” Mr. Tamano said, referring to the actual start of the implementation of the mobile number portability law.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/money/business/mobile-number-portability-seen-to-help-dito-corner-30-of-telco-market/ar-BB1en0ZZ?ocid=msedgdhp

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Dito launches services in Visayas, Mindanao; Metro Manila to wait a few weeks

Dito Telecommunity Corp. on Monday officially launched commercial services in select areas in Visayas and Mindanao, while Metro Manila will have to wait a few more weeks to avail of its services.

Dito services are currently available in the 15 pilot areas the company earlier announced -- 10 in Metro Cebu and five in Metro Davao, mostly with basic coverage of 4G LTE and 5G capacity.

"We faced the Senate, Congress, and our regulators knowing all too well that a good number of people were thinking that we would eventually fail. They were wrong. Here we are," Dito chairman and chief executive officer Dennis Uy said in a press conference.

Dito SIM cards are currently available at some 10 to 20 points of sale in the pilot areas at P40 each, inclusive of 1 gigabyte of data valid for seven days. They may also be availed online at P199 each, following a questionnaire.

As part of its welcome offer, the third major telco is offering a P199 unlimited promo which includes unlimited data, and unlimited calls and texts within the network valid for 30 days. The promo will run until March 31, 2021.

Among the first that will avail of Dito services are some 3,000 frontliners in the Visayas and Mindanao who will be given SIM cards, which the company said was part of "giving back."

"In the following weeks, you will see us rise in various areas in the country but today, March 8, we first give back to where it all began," said Uy, who was among the top backers of President Rodrigo Duterte during the 2016 campaign.

Uy presented the SIM cards to Davao City Vice Mayor and presidential son Sebastian Duterte, who was in attendance at Monday's launch.

For the rest of the country, specifically Metro Manila, Dito chief administrative officer Adel Tamano said the public will have to wait a little longer.

"The answer that we will tell you is we will be here in NCR in a few weeks. Medyo maghintay hintay lang, Dito will be in NCR very soon," he said, but declined to provide a specific timetable.

The Dito consortium is made up of Uy's Udenna Corporation, Udenna's subsidiary Chelsea Logistics Holdings Inc., and Chinese state-owned China Telecommunications Corporation.

Shares in Dito CME Holdings Corp., the holdings company for Uy's communications media and entertainment businesses, opened Monday at P15.24 apiece, unchanged from last Friday's finish. Shares are down P1.34 or 8.79% to P13.90 apiece as of 12:50 p.m.  —KBK, GMA News

This article Dito launches services in Visayas, Mindanao; Metro Manila to wait a few weeks was originally published in GMA News Online.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/money/economy/dito-launches-services-in-visayas-mindanao-metro-manila-to-wait-a-few-weeks/ar-BB1elX4L?ocid=msedgdhp

• Like 2
Soupeod
9 hours ago, Dafey said:

In Ormoc City now.

• Like 1
SkyMan
1 hour ago, Soupeod said:

In Ormoc City now.

Supposed to be in Lilo-an too. I signed up online for a SIM and the system said my phone wasn't supported but it seems to have let me sign up anyway.  Haven't gotten the confirmation email yet but that's not surprising.  There's only like 3-4 Samsung phones listed as ok.  I have a fairly new one, the Galaxy S8+.

• Like 1
Soupeod
13 hours ago, SkyMan said:

There's only like 3-4 Samsung phones listed as ok. 

Ok for the ease of spying on you? :)

• Like 3
Dutch

Very dangerous development, telecom services controlled by a foreign state run company...

• Like 1
SkyMan

I went to 3 of the 4 listed stores to get a sim but you had to buy a phone to get one.  Cheapest Oppo phone was like p4K.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
East Saxon

I am not keen on using a 40% China owned  company that was once the Mindanao Islamic Telco.

• Like 1
SkyMan

Happened to be down by SM City Consolacion again today and decided to give the Oppo store another shot.  The rule has changed from, you have to buy a cell phone, to, you have to spend p300.  So I bought a cable and the Dito sim was free.   We tried for a while to install it in my unlocked Galaxy S8+ but it just wouldn't go.  I think if I add the dito apn settings it will work for data at least.  So we tries the S20+ I'd gotten from T-Mobile in the US and it was locked and wouldn't unlock so I took it home and got T-Mobile to unlock it.  Still had trouble so I found a YouTube on how to set the APN for Dito and at least I get data now.  It tested at 18MBPs.  Not awesome but liveable and I can probably hook up my firestick now.

• Like 2
SkyMan
17 hours ago, SkyMan said:

We tried for a while to install it in my unlocked Galaxy S8+ but it just wouldn't go.  I think if I add the dito apn settings it will work for data at least. 

I put the Dito sim back in the S8+ and set the APN settings to dito and now it works for data and phone.  Signed up for the p199 for 1 month unlimited plan.  Although it seemed like I was getting unlimited data on the s20+ without signing up.

• Like 1
SkyMan

Back to DITO.  I live on a hill overlooking Lilo-an and currently no fiber reaches my area. This is on my 5G phone with NordVPN running and connected to a server in the US.  

I know there are many other faster marks out there but this is 10X faster than anything else I've had at this location.

image.png.071d28f86d2cf366bfe42487d0d6959e.png

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
SkyMan

So this evening, my DITO Welcome Promo 1 month of unlimited internet/call/txt ran out.  I was warned it was going and it looked from the app like I could buy another month for p199 so I loaded the sim with another p200.  Well, bad idea because when the promo ran out it burned up the 200 pretty fast and then I had no internet.  So, I had to use an alternate really slow internet to load another p200 and then with some difficulty I was eventually able to buy the Welcome Promo again.  It's currently running until the 15th but I imagine that will be extended again because they still haven't released what their regular rate will be.  So if you've had DITO about a month, you may want to buy another Welcome Promo before the 15th.

@smokeyThis might be a good internet solution for you if you don't want a long contract.

Edited by SkyMan