Marines Investigating Woman's TikTok Video Claims that General Allowed Perpetrator to Stay in Uniform

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Marines Investigating Woman's TikTok Video Claims that General Allowed Perpetrator to Stay in Uniform

19 Feb 2021 Military.com | By Gina Harkins

Marine Corps officials are gathering details about an emotional video shared widely on social media this week in which a woman claims a man who admitted to sexual misconduct will be allowed to remain in the service.

The video, posted to TikTok on Thursday, shows a Marine in tears saying a commanding general has opted to allow a man accused of sexual misconduct to remain in the Corps despite proof and his admission of guilt.

"This is exactly why ... females in the military f---ing kill themselves," the woman yells through her tears.

Marine officials are "aware of the video and [are] gathering all the details of the situation," Capt. Casey Littesy, a spokeswoman for the service, said Friday morning.

"Sexual assault is a crime, is unacceptable, and violates our core values of honor, courage and commitment," Littesy said. "We will respond with an update when we have more information."

Additional questions about what commanding general made the decision, why and whether it was under any sort of review were referred to the North Carolina-based II Marine Expeditionary Force. A II MEF spokeswoman said the command is aware of the video and looking into the matter.

"We will be in touch once we gain more information," she said.

The TikTok user who posted the video did not respond to questions from Military.com.

According to the Marine in the video, the perpetrator, whom she faced in court, was initially set to receive an honorable discharge. That could have potentially allowed the man to join another military service.

Then, she adds, she got word that the man would be retained.

"All the way up, across the board, everybody said they would not retain him," she said. "And the f---ing head honcho ... [with] admission to guilt decided that they will retain him."

When asked about the video Friday, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin called it "deeply disturbing" and said he has requested more information from his staff.

"We have to get the facts, we have to understand what just happened," Austin said. "Let me also say that I care about each and every one of our troops, and certainly I'm going to ask that her chain of command makes sure that someone is looking out after her needs and make sure that we're taking care of her."

The video was shared on Twitter, where it received thousands of retweets. Users tagged Commandant Gen. David Berger in their responses, along with the acting Navy secretary and members of Congress, calling on them to act.

"This is absolutely heart-wrenching to watch and listen to," one Navy officer responded. "We as leaders continue to say there is no place in the military for sexual assault, but yet, time after time, the opposite rings true."

"She deserves better. Do better," another person replied.

Last month, the SecDef ordered the military's top leaders to report on what they're doing to prevent sexual assault and harassment, and how they know those measures are working. Marine Corps officials did not immediately answer questions about what details they provided to Austin; the reports were due Feb. 5.

Austin told senators during his January nomination hearing that he takes the issue of sexual assault "seriously and personally."

"If confirmed," he said, "I would like to work with the chain of command and very rapidly assess what things need to be fixed or addressed."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/02/19/marines-investigating-womans-tiktok-video-claims-general-allowed-perpetrator-stay-uniform.html

• Administrator
Salty Dog

‘I found the video deeply disturbing’: Here’s what we know about the viral video of a female Marine claiming her alleged ‘perpetrator’ will be allowed to stay in the Corps

The Marine Corps is looking into the details surrounding a viral video that shows a female Marine weeping after she allegedly found out a male Marine she claims admitted to perpetrating a sexual crime against her will remain in the Corps, despite his confession.

The TikTok video posted Thursday and amplified by the Twitter account Not In My Marine Corps, an organization dedicated to ending sexual assault and harassment in the military, shows the female Marine, devastated in her car, saying that the Marine Corps failed her.

“I’ve dedicated my life to the military and the Marine Corps and everything that I’ve done and that I was able to see my f*cking perpetrator in court and how much it f*cking sucked,” she said, tears streaming down her face.

The Marine claimed that her alleged perpetrator was set to get an honorable discharge, potentially allowing him to receive all his military benefits, despite allegedly admitting to the sexual assault.

“Not even f*cking 10 minutes ago I just got word that this motherf*cker will be getting retained because it went all the way up … the f*cking head honcho, the f*cking CG, with all of the proof and a f*cking admission to guilt, decided that they will retain him,” she said. “This is exactly why f*cking females in the military f*cking kill themselves, this is exactly why nobody f*cking takes us seriously.”

The Marine has declined to talk to Marine Corps Times about the video.

A Marine Corps spokesperson confirmed to Marine Corps Times that the Marine referenced in the video was not charged with raping her in this case. The crime he allegedly admitted to and was accused of was distributing intimate photos of her.

The Marine in the video also claims to have been sexually assaulted by a fellow Marine.

Marine Corps Times cannot confirm whether the rape accusation has any relation to the Marine who was accused of distributing personal information, or where the rape accusation is in the investigation process.

“This video specifically refers to an allegation of misconduct regarding the wrongful appropriation and distribution of personal information,” another Marine spokesperson, Capt. Angelica A. Sposato, with II MEF, said in a statement. “The current administrative separation process for the accused perpetrator mentioned in the video is ongoing.”

The video managed to reach the desk of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, who said he was looking into the issue.

“I’m going to ask that her chain of command make sure that someone is looking out after her needs, and make sure we are taking care of her,” Austin told reporters on Friday. “I found the video deeply disturbing. And I’ve asked my staff for additional information. And I’ll leave it at that.”

Sposato added that the MEF has reached out to the Marine to ensure her voice is heard.

“The Marine in the video is safe and has been afforded the opportunity to meet with senior representatives in her command,” Sposato said. “The Marine Corps and the nation expect the highest standards of conduct from Marines and sailors. Those who do not uphold these standards will be held accountable in accordance with Marine Corps and Department of Defense policy.”

The spokeswoman said the Corps takes all allegations of “prohibited conduct and activities seriously,” and ensure Marine victims are “fully supported with appropriate resources specific to the nature of an incident.”

An aide for Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif., told Marine Corps Times the representative is already looking into the issue.

“The congresswoman is aware of the video and is concerned about the situation,” an aide for the representative said in an email. “We are in communication with the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps says that she is safe, and we are awaiting additional information.”

Speier, the chair of the House Armed Services Military personnel subcommittee, routinely has taken the military to task over its failure to combat sexual assault in its ranks and is the sponsor of the I Am Vanessa Guillén Act.

The bill is named after Fort Hood, Texas, soldier Spc. Vanessa Guillen who was allegedly killed by a fellow soldier who then died by suicide.

Shortly before her death, Guillén told her mother she was being sexually harassed.

The bill would make sexual harassment a crime punishable under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, allow those who were sexually assaulted or harassed to receive compensation from the Department of Defense, and would force independent investigations, outside the chain of command, for all sexual misconduct claims.

New York Democrat Kirsten Gillibrand is also looking into the issue, a spokesman for her office said.

“Senator Gillibrand’s office has sent inquiries to the Department of Defense and the United States Marine Corps inquiring about the Marine’s case and her safety,” Evan Lukaske told Marine Corps Times in an email.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2021/02/19/i-found-the-video-deeply-disturbing-heres-what-we-know-about-the-viral-video-of-a-female-marine-claiming-her-alleged-perpetrator-will-be-allowed-to-stay-in-the-corps/

A_Simple_Man

On average, about 10,000 men are sexually assaulted in the American military each year, according to Pentagon statistics. Overwhelmingly, the victims are young and low-ranking. Many struggle afterward, are kicked out of the military and have trouble finding their footing in civilian life.

New York Times link

I am not going to belittle the crime of sexual abuse.  I am going to suggest we have not seen any of these guys on TikTok.  Maybe someone lied to this victim and told her life was fair.

• Sad 1
lamoe
1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

New York Times link

I am not going to belittle the crime of sexual abuse.  I am going to suggest we have not seen any of these guys on TikTok.  Maybe someone lied to this victim and told her life was fair.

Life is not fair but military should treat everyone fairly.

TikTok - Consider "batted wife vs battered husband" reports https://www.webmd.com/balance/features/help-for-battered-men

• Like 1
SkyMan

The guy should resign ASAP while he has the chance. 

Davaoeno
3 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

New York Times link

I see misogyny is alive and well on Linc !!