Jump to content

Virtual Town Hall for U.S. Citizens: Documenting Your Child as a U.S. Citizen


Salty Dog

Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Seal with white background

 

United States Embassy and Consular Agency in the Philippines

February 23, 2021

Virtual Town Hall for U.S. Citizens in the Philippines: 

Documenting Your Child as a U.S. Citizen

 

Are you a U.S. citizen whose biological child was born outside the United States?  Do you want to document your child as a U.S. citizen?

Join us for a virtual town hall as we answer questions about the U.S. citizenship application process on Wednesday, March 3, 2021, from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Manila time.

Hosted by the Embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit, this virtual town hall is open to all U.S. citizens in the Philippines.  If you wish to participate, please RSVP using this form.  We will email log-in details to confirmed attendees no later than March 1, 2021.

Please note that we are unable to answer questions related to U.S. visas or notary services during this town hall. For more information on services available to U.S. citizens in the Philippines, please see our website.

 We look forward to seeing you on March 3, 2021!

 

Blue CA shield

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Dog, I'm gonna hijack your thread and share a life experience. When my second daughter was born in the Philippines in 1990, we got her Certificate of Birth Abroad, passport, social security number, all of it. Didn't think twice about her Filipino citizenship, arrogance on my part I guess. About 3 years later, my wife and daughter were going to come over and visit me in Saudi. Remember this was back before cell phones and ATM cards.

She got to the airport in Manila, and immigration threw a fit because they said my daughter was an overstayer and illegal to boot. My wife argued that she didn't have a visa because she was born there. They weren't having it, and come up with some gawd awful number for a fine, more than my wife had in cash on her. So she gave them a sob story and started crying and pinched the baby to make her cry, so immigration took pity, gave her a warning, and sent her on her way.

The moral to the story is that while you're doing your US paperwork, do the Philippines paperwork as well, it could save you some heartache at a later time. There have been a lot of stories this year where people weren't prepared because they either didn't think about it, figured they could do it later, or thought they would never need it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond
9 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Seal with white background

 

United States Embassy and Consular Agency in the Philippines

February 23, 2021

Virtual Town Hall for U.S. Citizens in the Philippines: 

Documenting Your Child as a U.S. Citizen

 

Are you a U.S. citizen whose biological child was born outside the United States?  Do you want to document your child as a U.S. citizen?

Join us for a virtual town hall as we answer questions about the U.S. citizenship application process on Wednesday, March 3, 2021, from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Manila time.

Hosted by the Embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit, this virtual town hall is open to all U.S. citizens in the Philippines.  If you wish to participate, please RSVP using this form.  We will email log-in details to confirmed attendees no later than March 1, 2021.

Please note that we are unable to answer questions related to U.S. visas or notary services during this town hall. For more information on services available to U.S. citizens in the Philippines, please see our website.

 We look forward to seeing you on March 3, 2021!

 

Blue CA shield

 

Thanks Salty. I am helping a friend whose son is the biological son of a deceased US citizen. He has already been approved for SS benefits, but they told his mother that he needs to be a US citizen in order to receive monthly SS payments, so hopefully this town hall will shed some light on the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
nothingbutquestions

Roger, is it to be implied since you said the child is the biological son of  the deceased US citizen that the child's parents were not legally married? To anyone's knowledge would it make a difference as far as SS benefits are concerned?

Edited by nothingbutquestions
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond
21 minutes ago, nothingbutquestions said:

Roger, is it to be implied since you said the child is the biological son of  the deceased US citizen that the child's parents were not legally married? 

No they were not married.

21 minutes ago, nothingbutquestions said:

To anyone's knowledge would it make a difference as far as SS benefits are concerned?

From what I have been able to discern in the limited time I have been working on it, it makes no difference if they were married or not. Apparently the father, who was a dual citizen, applied for benefits for the son before he died. Right now we are submitting the paperwork to have the mother recognized as the payee to the SSA in Manila, but the benefit that he is entitled to without being a US citizen may be limited to the death benefit. We will see shortly.

The next thing to work on will be the CRBA. I have just started, but I think the we have most of the paperwork needed. I would think that it should be fairly easy since the government already approved the kid for SS before the father died.

Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
5 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

Sorry Dog, I'm gonna hijack your thread and share a life experience. When my second daughter was born in the Philippines in 1990, we got her Certificate of Birth Abroad, passport, social security number, all of it. Didn't think twice about her Filipino citizenship, arrogance on my part I guess. About 3 years later, my wife and daughter were going to come over and visit me in Saudi. Remember this was back before cell phones and ATM cards.

She got to the airport in Manila, and immigration threw a fit because they said my daughter was an overstayer and illegal to boot. My wife argued that she didn't have a visa because she was born there. They weren't having it, and come up with some gawd awful number for a fine, more than my wife had in cash on her. So she gave them a sob story and started crying and pinched the baby to make her cry, so immigration took pity, gave her a warning, and sent her on her way.

The moral to the story is that while you're doing your US paperwork, do the Philippines paperwork as well, it could save you some heartache at a later time. There have been a lot of stories this year where people weren't prepared because they either didn't think about it, figured they could do it later, or thought they would never need it.

For the child MUST !!! have BOTH foreign passport AND Philippines passport.  Philippines passport in and out of PI.. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
nothingbutquestions
On 2/23/2021 at 8:30 PM, RogerDuMond said:

No they were not married.

From what I have been able to discern in the limited time I have been working on it, it makes no difference if they were married or not. Apparently the father, who was a dual citizen, applied for benefits for the son before he died. Right now we are submitting the paperwork to have the mother recognized as the payee to the SSA in Manila, but the benefit that he is entitled to without being a US citizen may be limited to the death benefit. We will see shortly.

The next thing to work on will be the CRBA. I have just started, but I think the we have most of the paperwork needed. I would think that it should be fairly easy since the government already approved the kid for SS before the father died.

Is not the child a US citizen as soon as the US citizen father registers his birth at the Embassy? If that is true, then is the child not qualified for Survivor's benefits of his father and the only hiccup is, as you wrote, is having the mother appointed as the SSA payee and opening the appropriate bank accounts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, nothingbutquestions said:

Is not the child a US citizen as soon as the US citizen father registers his birth at the Embassy?

As far as I can find out, the father never registered his birth at the U.S. Embassy. I can only assume since he was a dual citizen, that he had no intention of going back to the U.S. so it wasn't that important to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
16 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

As far as I can find out, the father never registered his birth at the U.S. Embassy. I can only assume since he was a dual citizen, that he had no intention of going back to the U.S. so it wasn't that important to him.

Does the BC say both parents are Filipino Citizens?

Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond
4 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Does the BC say both parents are Filipino Citizens?

No, BC states citizenship of the father as American.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Irenicus

For CBRA, you can either do Manila or have them set an appointment for Cebu.  No quarantine in Cebu if in and out but the returning LGU (Negros in our case) still wants 14 days quarantine.  I ain't doing that with my baby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Irenicus said:

For CBRA, you can either do Manila or have them set an appointment for Cebu. 

Cebu says only in Manila

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rats the form is no longer active.     My kid was born May 2019  and just before our trip to MNL for CRBA  last March ..   Covid Hit and Lockdown.   Just now trying to get it done again.    Yes  it has to be  done in Manila..unless they have some outreach mission gearing up which i havn't heard of .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...