What do you call this part of the bread ?

RogerDuMond

When I was a kid, it was called the baker's nose.

KID

my mom always called it the heel and told us to put it back in the bag to keep the next piece of bread from getting hard------The hoe----LMAO on that one

• Like 2
mikecon3

We were boring folks, I guess...we just called it the end piece.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
2 hours ago, KID said:

my mom always called it the heel… 

Same here.. 

SkyMan
3 hours ago, KID said:

my mom always called it the heel and told us to put it back in the bag to keep the next piece of bread from getting hard

I've always called them heels and do the same. I keep waiting for my wife to catch on to this but she hasn't so far and she will use it straight off. I consider them to be best part to save until the end. 

• Like 1
lamoe

When we bought bread it was  the heel. Now Tata makes all our bread  it's the end.

I eat the end first . Best part, then put in Ziplock and stand on cut end - stays fresher.

sierra01

Bakers nose, heel, what on earth are you lot on about?  In proper English it's the crust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
lamoe
4 minutes ago, sierra01 said:

Bakers nose, heel, what on earth are you lot on about?  In proper English it's the crust.

The crust is the exterior,  interior is called the crumb, what'\ the end is called depends on where you're from - including Dobie.

Davaoeno
3 hours ago, sierra01 said:

proper English

yes, I love a proper English breakfast ! 

images.jpg

• Like 1
Semper paratus

My wife calls it the butt.

cookie47
10 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

We were boring folks, I guess...we just called it the end piece.

Yep, It's always been called nothing more complicated than..."..................The end bit"...... in my House (England, Australia, and now the Philippines,,,,and yes I leave it to last on the presumption it keeps the remaining fresh...

• Like 2
aabel

This slice was an end slice of a form baked bread. Without form, breads are much more streamlined, like modern wans.

My mother made much our own breads and she cut of what she called "skalk". As you (probably) know do many English and Nordic words have same origin.

English: SKULL. Norwegian: SKALLE.  Top of head of a human. Pronunciations are totally equal. Ok, so far so good, just add a k for the Norwegians and there we are.

Funny people this Norwegians; When drinking, they say SKULL. Not cheers, not gesundheit, no. SKULL. Were Vikings drinking from beheaded  enemies skulls?

Nobody to ask this days.... 

aabel

Aha, you have the æøå in your alphabet? Da kan vi skrive norsk?