Vehicle Inspections Halted

cookie47

mvis_2021-02-11_22-31-00.jpg
Facebook photo shows a Private Motor Vehicle Inspection Center in Mandaue City.

Duterte suspends vehicle inspection scheme

Christina Mendez (The Philippine Star ) - February 12, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Amid mounting complaints, President Duterte ordered the Land Transportation Office (LTO) to suspend the mandatory conduct of the motor vehicle inspection system (MVIS), a requirement for the registration or renewal of vehicles.

“MVIS is no longer mandatory. That means there should be no additional collection of payments when you register your vehicles,” presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. confirmed yesterday.

Previously, vehicles being registered at the LTO were merely inspected for compliance with the Clean Air Act through a smoke emission test done by private emission testing centers (PETCs).

With the arrival of private motor vehicle inspections centers (PMVICs), vehicles must pass an automated three-stage system with 73 inspection points before being considered roadworthy and eligible.

Duterte also deferred the implementation of the Child Safety in Motor Vehicles Act or Republic Act 11229, which mandates that children should use car seats while inside cars and other vehicles.

“The President has decided to defer the implementation (the use of) child car seats,” Roque added.

Roque said the President is also banking on the Senate and the House of Representatives to follow through his lead by possibly amending the provisions of the new law on car seats and the MVIS.

Private inspectors lower rates

After the Palace announcement, Department of Transportation (DOTr) Assistant Secretary Giovanni Lopez said PMVICs would indefinitely lower their fees to the same rates being offered by PETCs, while collection of re-inspection fees will also be suspended for a year.

“After long negotiations and discussions, Secretary Art Tugade was able to convince the MVIC owners to level their charges with the current rates of PETC owners. In addition, there will also be no re-inspection fee for a period of one year,” Lopez said.

Adjusted PMVIC fees were pegged at P600 for light vehicles, P500 for motorcycles, and P300 for public utility jeepneys, according to Iñigo Larrazabal, president of the Vehicle Inspection Center Operators Association of the Philippines (VICOAP), a group of 80 PMVICs nationwide.

Bill still needed

On the other hand, Rep. Rufus Rodriguez reiterated that President Duterte still needs a bill from both houses of Congress for purposes of stopping the implementation of the controversial Child Car Seat Law.

“It’s Congress that passed the law (Republic Act 11229) requiring child car seats, and it’s Congress that can suspend its implementation,” Rodriguez said.

Rep. Ruffy Biazon pointed out that the implementing rules and regulations of the law definitely need fine-tuning.

“I support the initiative of the chair to have the implementation suspended but I also hope that the opportunity to review the IRR be taken while implementation is delayed,” Biazon said.

Senators welcome suspension

Meanwhile, senators welcomed the decision of the President to suspend the implementation of the MVIS and Child Car Seat Law.

“The lesson here is that before you ram through a rule that will force the people to pay, be sure to run it by the President first. Never pull a fast one,” Senate President Pro-Tempore Ralph Recto said.

Sen. Joel Villanueva also welcomed the President’s decision, saying “Many will be glad that he did not let it through. Now let us take advantage of the pause ordered by President to perfect their implementation.”

Sen. Bong Go said he is thankful to the private operators of MVIS and Secretary Tugade for responding to the call not to increase the burden borne by the Filipino people while the situation is not yet normal.

“So despite improving mechanisms to ensure the roadworthiness of vehicles through this enhanced inspection system, they will push for a ‘pandemic special rate’ that will ensure that no unnecessary burden is imposed on ordinary Filipinos at this time,” Go said......

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2021/02/12/2077154/duterte-suspends-vehicle-inspection-scheme

• Like 6
  • Administrator
Dafey

In lieu of MVIS, smoke emission test still needed

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang yesterday clarified that while the Motor Vehicle Inspection System (MVIS) is no longer mandatory, motorists seeking vehicle registration or renewal still need to submit emission clearance certificates to the Land Transportation Office (LTO).

“We just have a clarification. While the President said that motor vehicle inspection must be suspended, there is still a need to submit either the emission clearance or MVIS,” presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said in Filipino.

Motorists can opt to get either the emission testing clearance given by private emission testing centers (PETCs) or MVIS certificate from accredited private motor vehicle inspection centers (PMVICs).

“This is how it goes: you can choose from two options – the emission test or MVIS. You can’t reject both. Because of the President’s appeal, MVIS won’t increase fees, just the same as what emission centers charge at P600. So, for P600 during the pandemic, your vehicle will be subject to 73 roadworthy inspection checkpoints,” Roque said in a mix of English and Filipino.

Based on the President’s order, Roque said that operators of PMVICs lowered their fees from P1,800 to P600 for light vehicles, P500 for motorcycles, and P300 for public utility jeepneys – the same rates being offered by PETCs.?

Certificates honored

Likewise, Department of Transportation (DOTr) Assistant Secretary Goddes Libiran said the LTO would honor certificates or results coming from either PETCs or PMVICs.

“Inspection certificates are still required prior to registration of motor vehicles. This means that before you get your car registered, you will have the option to have it inspected either in a PETC or in a PMVIC,” Libiran said.

“What is not mandatory is the inspection in PMVICs only,” she added.

At a virtual briefing on Thursday, transportation officials highlighted the importance of the motor vehicle inspection system, even though it is not mandatory.

“So what is now the use of PMVICs if it is not mandatory? For us in the DOTr and LTO, these facilities would stay because we want to give our motorists a center wherein their vehicle’s roadworthiness can be tested,” Transportation Assistant Secretary Giovanni Lopez said.

“As you know, PETC, not that we are saying it is inferior, but what it inspects is only the emission, while MVIC checks the whole performance of the vehicle so this is not equivalent. So our request to motorists is to submit their vehicle for total checkup or a full systems check,” LTO chief Edgar Galvante said.

“We now appeal to the motoring public, this is a good chance for you to find out if your vehicles are roadworthy, for the same amount of money you pay before,” Vehicle Inspection Center Operators Association of the Philippines Iñigo Larrazabal said. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/in-lieu-of-mvis-smoke-emission-test-still-needed/ar-BB1dDh7E?ocid=msedgdhp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
lamoe

Last time I had my 73 point inspection  took about 10 sec - walked around car while he was talking on phone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Administrator
Dafey

All our local guy does is a smoke test but when they changed the rules only commercial vehicles could go to him. We are expected to go to the next city over now.

• Like 1
cookie47

The subject of vehicle inspections is contraversial and convoluted and opiniated,and something readily discussed at a BBQ..... something I was involved in for 50% of my working life (25 years)... Finding a balance between rejecting a vehicle and passing it Roadworthy is treading a very fine line.

Each State and the two territories of Australia have different rules and requirements .Some annually,Some "at point of sale" some after a certain timespan (3 years from new, some none at all..... Those with lesser or no  regulations rely on the police or random roadside check's by Authorised officers of the transport department ... It is said that compulsory Roadworthy checks and the Subsequent repairs only effect the lower socio economic of society and is somewhat true, as more affluent drivers can afford to update their vehicle sooner or afford repairs which at a main dealership are somewhat eye watering. Anyway do I agree with vehicle inspections. Yes to a point,,,As long as the inspector is well trained, and uses A LOT of common sense in what the mechanical expectations are for an older vehicle. Inspectors (which I've seen) that have the wrong mentality and want to put every vehicle off the road (which is opposite to IAMOES experience) haha, are in the wrong job....  However,,Ive seen MANY potentially killer vehicles in my time most often driven by unsuspecting owners who would thank me for visibly showing them dangerous brake, steering,and suspension component. I also read recently that 'some' American States have dropped annual inspections due to their perceptions on cost, logistics and so forth....

Anyway just an observation from an Aussie ex vehicle inspector 🦘

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey

In the US, each state can choose if and how to inspect vehicles. When I was a teen and working in a gas station, we would do inspections for the State of NY. The boss was honest and would never tell the customer that they needed repairs before passing inspection, though there were plenty of those garages around. 

Years later in Florida they don't require and inspection but if a trooper pulls you over they have the means to give you an inspection on the side of the road and a ticket if warranted. That actually works pretty well.

• Like 3
cvgtpc1
13 hours ago, Dafey said:

In the US, each state can choose if and how to inspect vehicles. When I was a teen and working in a gas station, we would do inspections for the State of NY. The boss was honest and would never tell the customer that they needed repairs before passing inspection, though there were plenty of those garages around. 

Years later in Florida they don't require and inspection but if a trooper pulls you over they have the means to give you an inspection on the side of the road and a ticket if warranted. That actually works pretty well.

What gets me in the US, emissions testing is often based on counties located along a major highway corridor.  So only the residents of the locale are tested for clean emissions to keep the air clean while millions of untested vehicles from outside the area pass through each year.  Kind of like a mini Paris Climate Accord.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
hyaku

My tax is up this month on car and bike. My problem is that they closed emission test centers down her last December after the new memoranda from LTO on PMVIC.

My nearest test center is now a 230 km round trip. For that I also a need a permit to leave my province to do it. The VICOAP (Vehicle Inspection Center Operators Association of the Philippines) President. Inigo Larazabal happens to be the owner.

I called him yesterday and he confirmed that I can now choose between the full test or just an emission test.

Here's hoping they re open the the test center here within the next few weeks. The drive is not so bad but its ridiculous to expect anyone to do it on a motorbike/scooter. PNP are now doing daily checks and the LTO compound is so full of seized bikes you can hardy get inside.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
SkyMan
4 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

What gets me in the US, emissions testing is often based on counties located along a major highway corridor.  So only the residents of the locale are tested for clean emissions to keep the air clean while millions of untested vehicles from outside the area pass through each year.  Kind of like a mini Paris Climate Accord.

I think Ohio dropped the etests but when I lived there only the more urban counties were tested. My very rural county also had to test because many living there worked in neighboring cities.  Franklin County, however, was exempted because the state capital Columbus is there.  Nice huh?

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
6 hours ago, hyaku said:

My nearest test center is now a 230 km round trip.

Was similar for us. We had to update the registration on my wife's bike and didn't want to ride that tiny scooter for an hour to the new testing site.

Ended up we have a relative that is friends with the guy who owns the old registration place that is doing only commercial vehicles. they let us in to do our bike and saved us the trip. Of course, we always tip the guy a couple of hundred pesos when we go. I think we gave him 300 this time.

Always take care of the ones taking care of you. We tell them here, this is for snack!

• Like 3
lamoe

I may have missed it. Jeepneys exempted from vehicle inspections now?

Edited by lamoe
cookie47
On 2/12/2021 at 2:22 PM, cookie47 said:

Amid mounting complaints, President Duterte ordered the Land Transportation Office (LTO) to suspend the mandatory conduct of the motor vehicle inspection system (MVIS), a requirement for the registration or renewal of vehicles

Well it seems so.

• Like 2
smokey

Cool i passed

Screenshot_20210214-082834_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
hyaku
49 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Was similar for us. We had to update the registration on my wife's bike and didn't want to ride that tiny scooter for an hour to the new testing site.

Ended up we have a relative that is friends with the guy who owns the old registration place that is doing only commercial vehicles. they let us in to do our bike and saved us the trip. Of course, we always tip the guy a couple of hundred pesos when we go. I think we gave him 300 this time.

Always take care of the ones taking care of you. We tell them here, this is for snack!

I will go the old local emission center tomorrow to see if I can get it done. Last time they put the probe in the exhaust and didn't even ask me to start the engine. This "fake" test is one of the reasons they were trying to switch over to "real" test center.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
crazygolfer

I like to add that the inspection place in the OP looks great!