Pronunciations

Paddy

Try “wilderness”.

My way is wil-der-ness. I heard a recitation here that had the word...

wild-er-ness

• Like 3
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• cookie47

• lamoe

• HeyMike

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After living here so long, I find the way foreigners pronounce Filipino words to be the most amusing.  ...barren GAY... ...see boo... ...uh lie uh... uh lay uh... (mangled Ayala) A

I learned a new word today, my wife was telling me “ they now have Sp(eye)-nich at the local pizzeria.” I laughed a little and it didn’t go over well.   

Oh well ya gonna get me into trouble but I will agree and give you good example. My nephew works as  a GLOBE contractor. (Fiber installer). The company is called DUBLIN (it's on the side of

Posted Images

profits101

Sari Sari vegetable seller and cooker:

"How's business?"

"It's okie..."

"What about all the construction worker's? Aren't they coming over and buying?"

"They want KREEE-DIT."

"KREEEE-DIT?"

"Yes, they always want KREEEE-DIT. Always asking...  Will pay you LAAA-TOR"

"Ahhhhh..... credit."

She shakes head about them....

Edited by profits101
  • Like 2
Davaoeno
34 minutes ago, profits101 said:

Sari Sari vegetable seller and cooker:

"How's business?"

"It's okie..."

"What about all the construction worker's? Aren't they coming over and buying?"

"They want KREEE-DIT."

"KREEEE-DIT?"

"Yes, they always want KREEEE-DIT. Always asking...  Will pay you LAAA-TOR"

"Ahhhhh..... credit."

She shakes head about them....

I've only ever heard it pronounced OOTANG

• Like 2
cookie47

My wife would be in stitches laughing in Australia during wheat harvest time.

On the roadside outside farm's there would be signs.. OATEN.... hay for sale.Thus said with a different accent you ended up with...

OTIN ....which in Cebuano apparently means Penis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
aabel

Yes, very difficult to try foreign language without making humor for the locals. Some examples:

A friend of mine made meat balls, Scandinavian way. As serving it to cebuanos, he announced: "At home we call it Ball-Ball". Lol by the locals as it means hair on private body parts. Just try it to a Cebuana. "How is your ball-ball?".

Lolo is another word, normally meaning grandpa - pronounced with narrow o-s. If you pronounce it with the last o open, like "loloh", the word turns into a verb meaning masturbating.

And there is several other cebuano words you can try changing pronunciation -  and making much fun.  Bogo is a town up north, but can also mean ....

Just enjoy experimenting. 

• Like 2
HeyMike

I notice that in the foreign countries I have lived in, many times people would make fun of the way people tried to speak English. Usually it was local children laughing and correcting another child. Many times this would make the child too embarrassed to even try to speak English.

I always try to encourage a person, especially children, when they make an attempt at speaking English. Being from New Jersey, my English is so-so at best, but I try.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

The funniest one I heard was when a friend walked his very large dog. He said the kids would point at him and call him an asshole. 

Tagalog for dog is aso… :biggrin_01:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
BossHog
7 hours ago, aabel said:

A friend of mine made meat balls, Scandinavian way. As serving it to cebuanos, he announced: "At home we call it Ball-Ball". Lol by the locals as it means hair on private body parts. Just try it to a Cebuana. "How is your ball-ball?".

This has caused some laughs and also some awkward moments and horrible puns over the years. There's a very common bird in Southeast Asia (including the Philippines) called the Yellow-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier). Yes, bulbul does mean pubic hair in Filipino. The etymology is coincidental though and in English derives from Arabic via classical Persian poetry where it refers to the unrelated nightingale.

yvbb.thumb.jpg.3bed863042d0f49d659cade51a88e19a.jpg

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 4
aabel

Oi Oi Boss. Thank you so much for giving us of this information. Awesome I am reading you and grasping it to my mind. Thanks again.. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I learned a new word today, my wife was telling me “ they now have Sp(eye)-nich at the local pizzeria.”

I laughed a little and it didn’t go over well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have a neighbour (British)...

He calls the northern Cebu town

BOW (As in bow and Arrow) GO

I tried to explain its Bog...oh ,WELL as all by northern Cebu family say it..

Nope... give up..

• Like 1
19 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I have a neighbour (British)...

He calls the northern Cebu town

BOW (As in bow and Arrow) GO

I tried to explain its Bog...oh ,WELL as all by northern Cebu family say it..

Nope... give up..

I would pronounce it bow-go also - in the absence of informed instruction of course.

• Like 1
Headshot
4 hours ago, Paddy said:

I would pronounce it bow-go also - in the absence of informed instruction of course.

My Filipina wife also pronounces it Bow-Go. Go figure.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

My Filipina wife also pronounces it Bow-Go. Go figure.

Mine too. I've always pronounced it that way as well. One of those words with two pronunciations I guess, like tomato!

• Like 1