Vaccinations in the Philippines

Davaoeno
4 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

really do not have an idea about equipment, bu

The question I would be asking is how many freezers do they have that can maintain -70 centigrade?  And how much training has the staff used in dealing with such temperatures?   In the West if a vaccine is not kept at the right temperature you would expect them to throw it away, but I've never seen a filipino throw anything away.   (Including double dead meat ! )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• rfm010

• cookie47

• fivestarph

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got my first sinovac shot yesterday, city sponored done at a local school as a walk in.  Another school down the road was by appointment only.  3 hours of form filling and waiting.  Lines to pick up f

Only problem is that after a few hours, you still want another vaccine.  Aren

Update for Consolacion. I had previously registered with my Barangay health center and was told they would call when they had a schedule for Lamac, my Barangay. No issue about being a foreigner. that

Posted Images

cvgtpc1
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

The question I would be asking is how many freezers do they have that can maintain -70 centigrade?  And how much training has the staff used in dealing with such temperatures?   In the West if a vaccine is not kept at the right temperature you would expect them to throw it away, but I've never seen a filipino throw anything away.   (Including double dead meat ! )

May be stored between 2°C and 8°C (36°F and 46°F) for up to 30 days so should be able to hit that.  Can use the local sari-sari store for distribution lol.

smokey

And today i was reading everyone will have their shots by 2023 oh but first we need more money

• Haha 1
Davaoeno
On 2/4/2021 at 10:56 PM, cvgtpc1 said:

May be stored between 2°C and 8°C (36°F and 46°F) for up to 30 days so should be able to hit that.  Can use the local sari-sari store for distribution lol.

And of course after the 30 days expires they will just print stickers with new expiry dates!!!

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Haha 2
RogerDuMond

This topic is in the News forum not jokes or the CR, please lets return to the topic.

• 2 weeks later...
BossHog

Breaking News!

The Philippine FDA approves emergency use of Sinovac along with this ringing endorsement...

"Domingo said Sinovac's CoronaVac vaccines is not the most ideal vaccine to give to frontliners who are constantly exposed to the virus. He said the use of the Sinovac vaccine in healthcare workers is not recommended as it has an efficacy of 50.4%, adding it should only be used by healthy people aged 18-59."

"This is better than no vaccine, but our recommendation and the recommendation of experts is that this is not the best vaccine for them."

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2021/2/22/Sinovac-COVID-19-vaccine-China-Philippines-FDA-EUA.html

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

it has an efficacy of 50.4%

But you get 2 shots right...that's 100.8 efficacy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Dafey

This article is a little disturbing for those in the Philippines. Looks like we are going stateside to get our vaccines. They are talking a year before they get to the bottom of the pile for vaccines. At the rate they are going I doubt they will hit that target.

Who gets vaccinated first and how?

A MEDICAL WORKER at San Juan’s Cardinal Santos Hospital gets a CoronaVac jab on March 5. — PHILIPPINE STAR/ MICHAEL VARCAS

By piecing together, the various messages of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF), the Office of the President, and vaccination czar Carlito Galvez, Jr., I have come to understand that the goal of the National Vaccination Program is to vaccinate between 50 to 70 million Filipinos within the year or the equivalent of 60% of the population. This will be enough to achieve herd immunity. Government has arranged to import 140 million vaccines from seven suppliers: Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Moderna, Novavax, Sinovac, Gamaleya and Johnson & Johnson. Each person requires two jabs so this inventory is sufficient for only 70 million Filipinos.

We expected 117,000 doses of Pfizer vaccines to arrive last month under the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) program. This should have kicked off the government’s vaccination effort. Unfortunately, the shipment was put on hold due to the government’s failure to pass legislation indemnifying Pfizer against lawsuits. We were also expecting 526,000 jabs from AstraZeneca. This too did not arrive due to shortages in supply. Instead, what we received was 600,000 jabs of Sinovac followed by the 400,000 doses of AstraZeneca from the COVAX program.

For those unaware, the COVAX program is a global initiative of UNICEF aimed to grant equitable access of vaccines to less affluent countries.

Although the vaccines are arriving in trickles these days, the government expects an acceleration of arrivals in the second and third quarters of the year. Fifteen million doses of assorted vaccine brands on top of 9.2 million AstraZeneca serums from COVAX are due to hit Philippine shores in the second quarter. The vaccine roll-out will go on full throttle by the third quarter as 30 to 50 million doses from the seven manufacturers arrive.

Those eligible for the government’s vaccination program fall into four clusters. The first consists of healthcare workers directly engaged in the treatment of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients. The second cluster consists of senior citizens, indigents, and members of the Armed Forces, the National Police, and the Bureau of Fire Protection. The third cluster includes teachers, social workers, government workers, essential workers from the agriculture, tourism, transport, and food manufacturing sectors, people with disabilities, people living in dense areas and overseas Filipino workers. The fourth cluster includes all those not part of the three priority groups.

It is not clear if the government’s vaccination program will be free for all. Although the Department of Health website says it is free for “priority groups,” it does not specify which among the many groups will be exempt from payment. It does say this: “the government is continuing negotiations to ensure adequate vaccine supply for all Filipinos, including those not in the priority groups.” I take this to mean that all medical frontliners, government employees, indigents, and people with disabilities will get their vaccination free of charge. The rest of us will have to pay unless the government has surplus stocks or a sponsor emerges.

Healthy non-senior citizens who work in the private sector and children are the last in the pecking order. They will continue to be exposed to the virus until the fourth quarter of the year, at the earliest.

There are two other ways healthy non-senior citizens and children can get inoculated sooner. The first is through the city in which they have residency. Some cities like Manila, Quezon City, Iloilo, and Davao are importing their own vaccines and will be administering them to their constituencies. Although they too have an order of priority, there is a good chance that there will be enough serum to inoculate all registered residents.

The second way is through one’s employer. Certain entities, like the International Container Terminal Services, Inc. (ICTSI) Foundation, have been given permission by the government to import vaccines. The ICTSI Foundation, in particular, intends to import 20 million Moderna vaccines, 13 million of which will be “donated” to the state, while 7 million will be appropriated to institutional buying groups at (supposedly) no profit.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/opinion/who-gets-vaccinated-first-and-how/ar-BB1ekBbI?ocid=msedgdhp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
crazygolfer

Will the Philippines be vaccinating children as well? I.e 16yo and under?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Chris24
14 hours ago, Dafey said:

This article is a little disturbing for those in the Philippines. Looks like we are going stateside to get our vaccines. They are talking a year before they get to the bottom of the pile for vaccines. At the rate they are going I doubt they will hit that target.

Hopefully as other countries reach full or close to full vaccination of their populations, that will free up a larger share of global production for the Philippines, so the challenges will just be distribution and a high enough opt-in rate.   

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
18 hours ago, crazygolfer said:

Will the Philippines be vaccinating children as well?

I don't believe there is a vaccine that has been developed yet for children under 12. I know they are working on it.

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Galvez heads for India to sign vaccine agreements

MANILA, Philippines — National Task Force Against COVID-19 chief implementer Carlito Galvez Jr. is set to fly to India today to sign vaccine supply agreements with Novavax and the Serum Institute of India (SII).

“Next is Novavax. When we go to India this coming March 9 to 12, we will sign our supply agreement,” the government’s designated vaccine czar said yesterday.

The Philippine government is trying to secure 30 million doses of Covavax vaccines developed by Novavax and manufactured by SII.

“We might also have other supply agreements for the AstraZeneca and Covishield that the government will buy from the Serum Institute of India,” Galvez said.

The Philippines earlier received 500,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccines from the World Health Organization-led COVAX Facility.

The vaccines developed by Novavax and AstraZeneca are being manufactured by SII, the world’s largest vaccine manufacturer.

Galvez said that supply agreements to be finalized in the coming days include those with Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, manufacturers whom the Philippines have been in talks with.

He said that building a vaccine stockpile is also crucial to enable the Philippines to relax quarantine restrictions and resume face-to-face classes in May or in the second quarter of 2021.

If the Philippines could close deals for vaccines with these companies, the government would have a stockpile of around 10 million doses, which would meet President Duterte’s earlier condition to have at least two million vaccine doses on standby before he agrees to “open the economy.”

The Philippines is among the last countries in Southeast Asia to start its COVID-19 vaccine rollout despite also being among the worst affected nations in the region.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/galvez-heads-for-india-to-sign-vaccine-agreements/ar-BB1endFI?ocid=msedgdhp

• Like 1
BossHog

Just a thought for anyone hesitant about the Chinese and Indian vaccines...

Let's just be thankful d'Phils didn't come up with their own homegrown vaccine to push on the populace!

There was a prize of, I think, of 50 million pesos for the inventor. There weren't any takers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Administrator
Dafey

Here in the Province our local doctor has been protecting the entire village with his medicine...tastes like crap but nobody has gotten the virus. We submitted it for the Philippines challenge but haven't heard back yet...

image.png.7a80ea6e7dbec1e8fd5e648434e65b96.png

• Haha 4