Vaccinations in the Philippines

liquido

Great news...Hopefully this will open up travel for foreigners to come back......Bring it on....

• Like 1
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• rfm010

• fivestarph

• BossHog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got my first sinovac shot yesterday, city sponored done at a local school as a walk in.  Another school down the road was by appointment only.  3 hours of form filling and waiting.  Lines to pick up f

Only problem is that after a few hours, you still want another vaccine.  Aren

I'm quite happy with the Sinovax. Fried rice is tasting good and my Mandarin is improving Daily.😂🙃

Posted Images

cookie47
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Where can a foreigner get the vaccination?  what procedure?  how much will it cost?

Apart from the "issues" around the possibility of different countries insisting on one having their Vaccine, I'm right behind you  Bring it on....

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey

So, again, the topic is how, where and how much a vaccine may cost in the Philippines. This is an important topic especially for expats living in the Philippines. Let's not stray too much from the topic. For instance...a discussion of the no vax no fly laws may be a topic for another thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

As of this time I have not seen a 'plan' in the province to provide vaccine for free or otherwise. I would suggest that if it does make it's way into the province that it will cos the foreigners a good chunk of money to get it. Although, I may be wrong. I hear of very few locals that would volunteer for a vaccine of any kind. So if the local barangay/town gets a supply how long can they keep it at a proper temperature to still be effective?

And of course, which vaccine will they buy for distribution.

Over the last 2 days the Philippine news has been covering the story and the government has jumped in with a 'plan' for distribution but it has mostly been in Tagalog so I don't know where they are on this.

Obviously the cities will get it first. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

More than price, the bigger issue is Covid vaccine’s efficacy and safety

WHEN the Senate resumes today, January 15, its public inquiry into the government’s procurement of vaccines against Covid-19, it will be entirely fitting for our senators to ask 1) about the prices of the vaccines that have been ordered and 2) about the efficacy and safety of the vaccines.

In December, Health Secretary Francisco Duque 3rd was accused of having caused the loss of a supposed deal for the country to secure the delivery of 10 million doses of US drug maker Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine.

Meanwhile, it was revealed that members of the President’s Presidential Security Group were inoculated with presumably smuggled vaccines as regulators have not authorized the use of any Covid-19 vaccine in the country.

The Philippines has already secured from Sinovac 25 million doses of the vaccine, according to government officials, and that 50,000 doses of it will arrive in the country by next month.

Still, it is not impertinent for senators and the public to ask about their efficacy and safety.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/opinion/more-than-price-the-bigger-issue-is-covid-vaccine-s-efficacy-and-safety/ar-BB1cLBaF?ocid=msedgdhp

More to the article and still looking for 'government plan'

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Philippines approves Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for emergency use

MANILA — The Philippines‘ Food and Drug Administration has authorized the emergency use of Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SE’s COVID-19 vaccine, its head said on Thursday.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which has shown a 95% success rate, is the first vaccine the Philippines has approved.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/philippines-approves-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-for-emergency-use/ar-BB1cJBUw?ocid=msedgdhp

• Like 1
BossHog

Be aware that as a foreigner if you get vaccinated without government approval you'll be breaking the law and could face deportation.

Inquirer story

gordon.thumb.jpg.030acc4a04406c86736ff9877efb955e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
to_dave007
10 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Be aware that as a foreigner if you get vaccinated without government approval you'll be breaking the law and could face deportation.

Good point.. so we will need to know what's the LAW for foreigners being vaccinated.. 

For now..  perhaps wrongly..  I would ASSUME that if I present myself for vaccination at a well known government sanctioned vaccination center, and identify myself as a foreigner, and if they administer a vaccine, I should be ok.   

• Like 2
RogerDuMond
1 minute ago, to_dave007 said:

Good point.. so we will need to know what's the LAW for foreigners being vaccinated.. 

For now..  perhaps wrongly..  I would ASSUME that if I present myself for vaccination at a well known government sanctioned vaccination center, and identify myself as a foreigner, and if they administer a vaccine, I should be ok.   

According to the article, the only violation of the law, is that the vaccine, if they took it, has not yet been approved by the government. It doesn't have anything to do with being a foreigner and any Filipino who took the vaccination before approval would be in violation of the same law. Gordon apparently has a problem with the Chinese and their attempts to circumvent Philippine law. So :I don't see any problem with taking the vaccine once it is approved and available for general use, just follow whatever distribution plan that they have.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey
28 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

According to the article, the only violation of the law, is that the vaccine, if they took it, has not yet been approved by the government.

True.

I wonder though how the local Barangays will look at us getting a 'free' vaccine. 

• Like 1
BossHog
5 hours ago, Dafey said:

I wonder though how the local Barangays will look at us getting a 'free' vaccine. 

With recent polling suggesting only about a third of the local populace willing to be vaccinated I'm not so sure this will be a problem. By Q3 2021 plenty of vaccine from whatever various sources should have trickled down even into the deep province areas. My guess is they'll end up having to bribe people with rice and sardines and stuff just to accept vaccinations. Thus, they'll be plenty of vaccine floating around for whatever foreign resident is willing to get the jabs. 

As an aside, I think it would be imprudent for a foreigner to be publically vocal in questioning the efficacy of whatever vacccine becomes available. The government will have a big enough public health challenge getting folks to sign up for this. They certainly don't need and won't appreciate us mouthing off (not suggesting anyone here is).

A lot of local folks, especially in smaller communities, will be paying attention to how foreign residents choose to handle getting vaccinated. Probably best to show confidence in getting your shot or if you don't have that confidence just to keep your mouth shut.

I've talked to the RHU (Rural Health Unit) doctor in my small town about this. He said when the time comes he'll make sure to 'advertise' the fact that the sole foreign resident in town is keen to get the jab.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

Probably best to show confidence in getting your shot

Will I get a lollipop?

• Haha 2
RogerDuMond
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

My guess is that it would depend on the barangay and the person's standing in the barangay.

• Like 1
to_dave007

Gov’t bought Sinovac vaccines ‘close to P650 per dose’: Palace

MANILA – Malacañang on Sunday rejected claims that the vaccine developed by China’s Sinovac Biotech Ltd. costs PHP3,600 per dose, insisting that they were cheaper than other options.

In an interview over dzBB, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the national government bought Sinovac vaccines for a price close to the PHP650 per dose offered to Indonesia.

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1127660

How Much Will It Cost to Get a COVID-19 Vaccine?

How much each dose will cost 

The cost for each dose ranges from $3 to $37, depending on the vaccine.

Moderna, a two-dose vaccine, recently announced each dose will go for around $32 to $37.

The Pfizer vaccine, also given in two doses, is expected to cost $19.50 a dose.

Each dose for Johnson & Johnson’s two-dose vaccine will cost an estimated $10, and AstraZeneca’s two-dose vaccine could be the cheapest at just $3 to $4 a dose.

Novavax’s two-dose vaccine is estimated to be $16 a dose.

No individuals — regardless of whether they’re uninsured, have private health insurance, or have Medicare or Medicaid — will pay out of pocket for the vaccine itself, federal health officials have previously stated.

“Vaccine doses purchased with U.S. taxpayer dollars will be given to the American people at no cost,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source states.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-much-will-it-cost-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine

• Like 1