Vaccinations in the Philippines

• Administrator
Dafey
8 hours ago, rfm010 said:

Shouldnt be letting bosshog's wife be in charge of storing the vaccines.

Actually she'd do real well sorting it all out but I doubt she wants the job.

• Like 1
  • Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• rfm010

• cookie47

• fivestarph

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got my first sinovac shot yesterday, city sponored done at a local school as a walk in.  Another school down the road was by appointment only.  3 hours of form filling and waiting.  Lines to pick up f

Only problem is that after a few hours, you still want another vaccine.  Aren

Update for Consolacion. I had previously registered with my Barangay health center and was told they would call when they had a schedule for Lamac, my Barangay. No issue about being a foreigner. that

Posted Images

BossHog

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 17) — The Philippine Red Cross will have to charge the public ₱3,500 for every two doses of Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine when its orders arrive, its chairman, Senator Richard Gordon said on Monday.

Speaking at a media forum hosted by the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines, Gordon said the PRC purchased a total of 200,000 doses from American pharmaceutical firm Moderna, enough to inoculate 100,000 people. Some 1,500 doses are expected to be delivered by July.

• Like 1
Dutch
43 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 17) — The Philippine Red Cross will have to charge the public ₱3,500 for every two doses of Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine when its orders arrive, its chairman, Senator Richard Gordon said on Monday.

Speaking at a media forum hosted by the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines, Gordon said the PRC purchased a total of 200,000 doses from American pharmaceutical firm Moderna, enough to inoculate 100,000 people. Some 1,500 doses are expected to be delivered by July.

Moderna costs 18$ per dose, so 36$ total, about 1700 peso... Seems like good business.

• Like 1
wondersailor
5 hours ago, BossHog said:

Any info on how to sign up for this? The web address preciously mentioned by Dafey is not working.

• Like 1
arentol
6 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Any info on how to sign up for this? The web address preciously mentioned by Dafey is not working.

https://vaccines.redcross.org.ph/

Click Individual. Currently not accepting signups pending arrival of Moderna. 

Aren

• Like 1
BossHog

0.66% of the Philippine population now 'fully vaccinated'. This roll-out thing is going to take some time, isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
6 minutes ago, BossHog said:

0.66% of the Philippine population now 'fully vaccinated'. This roll-out thing is going to take some time, isn't it?

Sounds like a long wait. You can add that to one of those things you have to deal with to live in Paradise… :thumbsup:

• Haha 1
arentol
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

You can really see the bottleneck when you compare doses distributed vs. doses administered.

As of May 16th, 58% of the vaccines that have been distributed are just sitting there, not yet administered... that's 4,147,145 doses. 

Maybe if the government could incentivize vaccinations, those doses wouldn't be gathering dust (or frost). Trusting the masses to do the "right thing" won't cut the mustard in the Philippines, where the ordinary Jose gives more credence to a Facebook group rumor than medical facts. The hesitancy is exacerbated by the source of the vaccines... people here equate "Made in China" with cheap plastic toys from Unitop (and, arguably, rightly so).

I hope that the adoption rate will pick up significantly once the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines start rolling in.

Aren

• Like 1
wondersailor
3 hours ago, arentol said:

You can really see the bottleneck when you compare doses distributed vs. doses administered.

As of May 16th, 58% of the vaccines that have been distributed are just sitting there, not yet administered... that's 4,147,145 doses. 

Maybe if the government could incentivize vaccinations, those doses wouldn't be gathering dust (or frost). Trusting the masses to do the "right thing" won't cut the mustard in the Philippines, where the ordinary Jose gives more credence to a Facebook group rumor than medical facts. The hesitancy is exacerbated by the source of the vaccines... people here equate "Made in China" with cheap plastic toys from Unitop (and, arguably, rightly so).

I hope that the adoption rate will pick up significantly once the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines start rolling in.

Aren

I have my doubts that the entire problem is the lack of acceptance by the public. I know I signed up for a vaccine over a month ago with my barangay and was told "two weeks". I ran into the barangay representative last week and was again told "two weeks". Tomorrow I will be going to the city health department to try to figure out what is going on.

rfm010
19 hours ago, BossHog said:

Got my second shot last week so i guess i'm pretty special.  Paper just today still clinging to the idea of herd immunity by end of year.  Baaaah.  Moo.  Sounds more like they intend on culling the herd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Soupeod
20 hours ago, BossHog said:

01FA3D4F-5265-4EC5-A089-11DC387B89FB.png

E0DA5279-337B-4BFF-8B4B-51335C6E5B06.png

• Like 1
rfm010
On 5/18/2021 at 7:37 AM, arentol said:

If the rate doesnt pick up it wont be for a lack of trying.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1433558/crowds-at-pfizer-jab-sites-possible-superspreaders

MANILA, Philippines — The huge crowd that turned up for shots of the US-made Pfizer vaccine in hopes of being better protected against COVID-19 could ironically become a “superspreader” event, health reform advocate Dr. Tony Leachon warned on Tuesday.

Despite the experts’ and government’s constant reminder for the public to take any vaccine offered to them, the Filipinos’ preference for certain vaccine brands manifested itself in the “octopus-like” queues in sites offering Pfizer shots, and the near-empty venues where Sinovac or AstraZeneca vaccines were being rolled out...

Hearing that the Pfizer vaccine would be offered in Manila and Parañaque cities, thousands of people, most of them walk-ins without confirmed vaccination appointments, crowded a mall in Parañaque City and ignored social distancing protocols.

The lack of crowd control and confusing instructions on the ground also led to hours of waiting and unnecessary exposure among vaccinees...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Sibonga Simon

It's not a done deal - but what is in PH..... But it looks like Cebu will once again get 4/5 of FA!

Experts to gov't: Devote 90% of vaccines to NCR for herd immunity before Christmas

Experts of the Octa Research group called on the national government to devote 90% of all COVID-19 vaccines to Metro Manila, saying mathematical models show that this is the fastest way to contain the pandemic and open the economy.

"The reason why we undertook modeling is precisely to show that the most efficient way to end the pandemic is to focus 90% of our shots to the NCR (National Capital Region)," said Octa Research fellow Father Nicanor Austriaco, a molecular biologist, during a Kapihan sa Manila Bay virtual press conference on on Wednesday, May 19.

Read the sad saga at https://www.rappler.com/nation/experts-message-government-vaccine-allocation-metro-manila-christmas-2021

• Like 2
arentol
6 hours ago, Sibonga Simon said:

It's not a done deal - but what is in PH..... But it looks like Cebu will once again get 4/5 of FA!

Experts to gov't: Devote 90% of vaccines to NCR for herd immunity before Christmas

Experts of the Octa Research group called on the national government to devote 90% of all COVID-19 vaccines to Metro Manila, saying mathematical models show that this is the fastest way to contain the pandemic and open the economy.

"The reason why we undertook modeling is precisely to show that the most efficient way to end the pandemic is to focus 90% of our shots to the NCR (National Capital Region)," said Octa Research fellow Father Nicanor Austriaco, a molecular biologist, during a Kapihan sa Manila Bay virtual press conference on on Wednesday, May 19.

Read the sad saga at https://www.rappler.com/nation/experts-message-government-vaccine-allocation-metro-manila-christmas-2021

I've been working in the IT industry now for 18+ years, with much of that being spent in the data science, machine learning, and predictive analytics sector.

Would be keen to see these "mathematical models" put to the test by Western analysts.

A country that can't even keep a website online doesn't exactly instill confidence, especially when people's lives are potentially at stake. 

But, they're going to do what they're going to do.. as always. 

Aren

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2