Vaccinations in the Philippines

fivestarph
7 hours ago, fivestarph said:

This is an interesting read. I did not realize Moderna is that expensive -

The two doses of the Moderna vaccine are estimated at P4,000. This means that one has to pay P8,000 to get it.

https://philippineslifestyle.com/moderna-covid19-vaccines-red-cross-arrive/

I have done some checking and was informed Moderna is USD35.00 a shot which would mean two shots is around peso4,000.00

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• rfm010

• cookie47

• fivestarph

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got my first sinovac shot yesterday, city sponored done at a local school as a walk in.  Another school down the road was by appointment only.  3 hours of form filling and waiting.  Lines to pick up f

Only problem is that after a few hours, you still want another vaccine.  Aren

Update for Consolacion. I had previously registered with my Barangay health center and was told they would call when they had a schedule for Lamac, my Barangay. No issue about being a foreigner. that

Posted Images

redboy
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

My concern is- when it's here- is it really here?    Or is it Memorex? In this country cheap and fake is often king !

At a certain point you got to have some faith in the health care providers, I don't think fake vaccines through proper channels are an issue personally, what is an issue is with the better vaccines careful maintenance of temperature and shelf life is critical, not so with Sinovac,  The Philippines simply doesn't have the infrastructure to distribute large quantities of vaccines nation wide that require precise refrigeration and timely dispensing. Pfizer and Moderna need to be kept freezing down to as low as -70 (Phizer) until just before they are administered. So in my opinion a lot of what we are reading is germane only to the NCR and surrounding areas, maybe other metro areas like Cebu and Davao proper. time will surely tell.

Edited by redboy
spelling
Irenicus
On 4/22/2021 at 7:49 PM, redboy said:

Was ambivalent about taking Sinovac, but at my age any efficacy is reduced anyway, something is better than nothing, (unless it kills me)

Sinovac actually makes the most sense for the Philippines and other third world countries that would have problems storing the other vaccines in special (expensive) freezer devices.

It is very effective and ya can always take a 'better' vaccine somewhere down the line when they become more available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoronaVac

• Like 4
BossHog
29 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

Sinovac actually makes the most sense for the Philippines and other third world countries that would have problems storing the other vaccines in special (expensive) freezer devices.

It is very effective and ya can always take a 'better' vaccine somewhere down the line when they become more available.

I've been pondering over this for weeks and have drawn the same conclusion.

• Like 1
rfm010
18 hours ago, Irenicus said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoronaVac

only the hard core would make it to the end of this post so i put this part first, as a reminder:

pfizer bioNtech temperature requirements have been brought down (up i guess) to a more manageable number along with moderna.  AZ and JnJ requirements aren't special, and novavax when it gets here has rather normal requirements  (breaking news:  novavax adjuvant plays key role in oxford's new malarial vaccine candidate:  phase 2b shows 77% efficacy in kids.  that's big, not that the stock market seems to give a toot.).

and this part second to get it out there:   "...ya can always take a 'better' vaccine somewhere down the line when they become more available...":     maybe.  maybe not.  it is actually being tested now with several combinations.  there are some potentially good reasons not to do so within too narrow a time frame.   i  plan/hope to do it myself, am hoping that having my name in the system as a sinovac recipient doesn't disqualify me for something else later.  i've actually paid up front for a vaccine being provided by a dodgy medical group my daughter hangs with.   when it will be available and what it will be-- no guarantees, but they are trying for it not to be sinovac,  novavax was mentioned, but that is likely to be delayed.  could end up being sinovac.  no refunds.   med students-- little gender neutral bastards.

the sinovac numbers coming out of chile are looking better as the details come out.  don't have the numbers off the top of my head but the protection provided against more severe outcomes is looking good.  the initial numbers lumping all outcomes together (including asymptomatic) i gave out earlier, but my personal concern is in not going to the hospital, or, not having to regret not having gone to the hospital, so these newer (to me) numbers are important.   looking at irenicus's wiki link, the chilean results are from an AP report april 16: 

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/big-chile-study-finds-chinese-vaccine-slashes-covid-77120616

"...A real-world study of millions of Chileans who had received the Chinese-developed CoronaVac vaccine has found it 67% effective against symptoms and 80% against death from COVID-19, the South American country's Health Ministry said Friday..."

"...Araos said it had reduced hospitalizations by 85%, intensive care visits by 89% and deaths by 80%...".

note that these results are for AFTER THE SECOND DOSE so don't go screwing around too early (remember i quoted an initial data release that said only 3% efficacy in the first 28 days after the 1st dose--this i believe included asymptomatic cases but even excluding those cases efficacy after only one dose is likely piss poor given the workings of an immune system against a traditional inactivated virus):

"...It counted cases starting 14 days after application of the second dose of the vaccine, which in Chile was given 28 days after the first..."

these results look pretty good.   not pfizer bioNtech, moderna, novavax 95% (with more severe events almost if not still 100%) good, not 50 -70% rna vaccine efficacy after first dose good, but i'm feeling much better about taking sinovac if these numbers hold.

i'm thinking these numbers may put sinovac, after the second dose,  on par with AZ and JnJ, but that needs looking into.  maybe a bogey on a long par 5.

some additional thoughts:

as somewhere along the line has already been said, china and russia are capable of good science.  but the transparency makes acceptance a bit dicey.  for sinovac there have been studies in brazil and turkey.  brazil's results turned out not so good, but brazil has been rather fuqued up.  turkey, having quite good results, has been a bit political.  i had been putting together a post about problems with sputnik in terms of russian shenanigans, but windows thought i needed an update and so i lost it.  i was surprised by the extent of it all, just google sputnik slovakia for a taste.  sputnik is an adenovirus delivered vaccine like AZ and JnJ.  think we'll be hearing anything about blood clots any time soon?  one nice thing they do though is change up the adenovirus type for the second shot, this is intended to offset any potential immune response to the adenovirus itself, which would cause an immune response against the second dose, thereby diminishing the effect of the second dose.  tricky.

so this chilean study helps a good bit information-wise. 

some potential questions/concerns:

--what degree of rare-ish adverse events have there been?   the blood clots of the dna vaccines, and the myocarditis of the rna vaccines  (say what?) appeared with the same vaccination numbers as seen in chile, all i have read about sinovac in chile is that it is safe. 

--what is the breakdown of efficacy numbers among different age groups, groups with co-morbidities, and such? 

--what if any efficacy results are had for different variants?

--have immune responses remained robust over time?  not that there has been that much time, but how's the t cell population doing?

--why is the editor putting a red squiggly line under "rare-ish"  which if nothing else is a perfectly acceptable description of how a steak should be cooked?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
Posted (edited)

Philippines sees ‘accelerated’ vaccine deliveries

MANILA, Philippines — The country is expecting the delivery of COVID-19 vaccines to be supplied by the COVAX Facility as early as next month, composed mostly of what the government said were delayed batches, the National Task Force (NTF) Against COVID-19 said yesterday.

NTF chief implementer and vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr. said about seven million to eight million doses could be delivered in May.

“We will be having what we call accelerated deliveries this coming May and June. This coming May, maybe we can have about seven to eight million. We are just waiting because there were delays with COVAX,” Galvez said in an interview aired over Teleradyo.

Last month, Galvez announced a delay in the delivery of COVID-19 vaccines to be supplied by the World Health Organization-led COVAX, citing logistical issues faced by vaccine manufacturing companies in countries where they are situated, like the Serum Institute of India, which had to address new waves of infections in the South Asian country.

COVAX is a global initiative that seeks equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines for member countries.

Galvez said the global production and delivery of vaccines in Europe was also affected, but that the constrictions in vaccine production are expected to stabilize in June.

“We are just waiting for the delayed supplies because, with the COVAX (batches), had there been no delays, we could have gotten over six million (doses) of Pfizer and AstraZeneca,” he explained.

“That’s what we’re waiting for. Just in case we can have other supplies from COVAX, it’s going to reach, before the end of June, we can get more or less 10 to 15 million (doses),” Galvez said.

The Philippines is currently administering the China-made CoronaVac vaccine, and British drugmaker AstraZeneca’s vaccine. Galvez said the country hopes to have a portfolio of at least seven vaccine brands this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/philippines-sees-accelerated-vaccine-deliveries/ar-BB1g2lcw?ocid=msedgdhp

Further in the article for @RR3

Meanwhile, the NTF also announced that the shipment of 15,000 doses of Gamaleya Institute’s Sputnik V vaccine, which was scheduled to arrive Sunday, has been pushed to Wednesday due to “logistical reasons.”

At least one to two million doses of Sputnik V are also expected to be shipped next month, with two million more expected in the next delivery in June. Sinovac is also expected to deliver two million doses next month and 4.5 million in June.

Edited by Dafey
  • Like 2
Davaoeno

I'm not holding my breath !!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
redboy

Not being a copy past guy, from what I have read here and other places, both solid studies and opinion pieces, taking the first vaccine offered to your (given co morbidity issues considered), is the way to go. efficacy of any vaccine averages out to about  60% this include normal flu vaccines. Efficacy for we senior citizens  is further reduced. so you can hedge your bets, but getting vaccinated is all about developing heard immunity, not your personal health, sorry to say. I'm more likely to die from any number of causes at this point in my life. So for me, I have decided to take what ever is offered. side effects are unpredictable. Anecdotal report: My two older sisters in the US both with immune compromised medical conditions, one 85, the other 82 took Moderna with no side effects. My two nephews healthy young men aged 40-45 took Phizer and one became so ill he thought he had COVID. so spin the wheel of fortune and take your chances.

I'm signed up for something here in Consolacion, have not heard back in 4 days, probably Sinovac if they have not run out. 

• Like 4
SkyMan

A tale of two countries.....

Just back from an hour shopping at Walmart.  During that time, 2 announcements were made that anyone wanting a vaccine could come up the to the pharmacy for a free one.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
arentol

Pfizer vaccines on the way after legal hurdle overcome:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/philippines-get-millions-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-doses-june-2021

Philippines to get 2.3 million Pfizer vaccine doses by end-June

APR 29, 2021 2:11 PM PHT

PIA RANADA

MANILA, PHILIPPINES

Disagreements on legal language related to indemnification and immunity from suit have been 'completely ironed out,' says vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr

After months of uncertainty, the COVAX Facility and Gavi have confirmed that the Philippines is set to receive 2.3 million doses of the Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine "not later than June," said vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr on Thursday, April 29.

"We were given a letter from COVAX and Gavi that we will receive 2,355,210 Pfizer doses," he said in Filipino during a Malacañang news briefing.

The development comes after an initial February delivery of 117,000 Pfizer doses was canceled due to the Philippines' lack of indemnification law and disagreements over the scope of indemnity for Pfizer.

The Pfizer shipment was supposed to be the country's very first delivery of COVID-19 vaccines.

But Galvez said on Thursday that Pfizer and the Philippine government have "completely ironed out" the language in the contracts, paving the way for the shipments.

"They had lengthy negotiations so we can have an understanding between gross negligence and willful neglect. That was the only legal impediment," said the pandemic task force official.

The Philippine government, working with lawmakers, had agreed to give vaccine manufacturers immunity from suit from complaints resulting from the administration of their vaccines "except arising from willful misconduct and gross negligence."

Despite these tussles on legal language, Galvez praised Pfizer for not backing out of the agreement, so critical to bolster the country's vaccination drive.

"Even if we have legal challenges, they did not change their offer. Even if we had delays, they didn't change the delivery time. They even raised their offer of 25 million doses to 40 million," said Galvez.

He also said the Pfizer vaccine is the second most affordable vaccine offered to the Philippines, after the AstraZeneca shots.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is among the vaccines with the highest efficacy rates – 95% – among COVID-19 jabs. However, it requires storage at ultracold temperatures, posing a distribution and logistics challenge to government. – Rappler.com

Aren

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
easy44

Just got my first shot yesterday. Free, courtesy of the government in Villaba, Leyte. It was Sinovax but I don't care. It was free, available, and better than nothing, I figure.

My wife is Bgy Captain and one of her kagawads chickened out so I took his shot.  No side effects so far. Not even a sore arm. What the heck, hope it was real!

• Like 2
wondersailor
16 hours ago, arentol said:

Will, no doubt, go the cities with facilities to keep the temps needed, Manila, Cebu and Davao. Chinese for the rest of us.

• Like 1
BossHog

Tried to register today, They said since I'm well under senior age I'm gonna have to wait a long while. So be it. Keeping the social distance up and the immune system as well. 

• Like 3
redboy

my update in Consolacion. Registered as a senior citizen in my barangay the day after they gave shots to a couple hundred , was told I would get a call when I was scheduled. That was 6 days ago, called the health center today and they said no vaccines were available as of now. so that's it, waiting for that someday maybe call. I saw on face book they gave seniors vaccines as walk ins at the mall, but I had not heard anything about it. 

wondersailor
2 hours ago, redboy said:

my update in Consolacion. Registered as a senior citizen in my barangay the day after they gave shots to a couple hundred , was told I would get a call when I was scheduled. That was 6 days ago, called the health center today and they said no vaccines were available as of now. so that's it, waiting for that someday maybe call. I saw on face book they gave seniors vaccines as walk ins at the mall, but I had not heard anything about it. 

Join the club.