Vaccinations in the Philippines

cookie47

24 hour Vaccination update..

The Only observations I can conclude is aching/more like screaming bones climbing the stairs last night. However this may not all be vaccination.I haven't been out ,Got into cars, and was up and down changing locations like a Yoyo at the venue . Otherwise today is normal..

• Like 2
  • Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• rfm010

• cookie47

• fivestarph

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got my first sinovac shot yesterday, city sponored done at a local school as a walk in.  Another school down the road was by appointment only.  3 hours of form filling and waiting.  Lines to pick up f

Only problem is that after a few hours, you still want another vaccine.  Aren

Update for Consolacion. I had previously registered with my Barangay health center and was told they would call when they had a schedule for Lamac, my Barangay. No issue about being a foreigner. that

Posted Images

Davaoeno
3 hours ago, fred42 said:

The good news is that Duterte just OK`d clinical trials in the Philippines for Ivermectin V Covid 19.
Smart.

Yeah- let's get rid of all those pesky ticks at the same time!  Definitely a filipino remedy!

Now all we have to do is to find someone to provide it for free!  Does the US really want access to Philippines bases?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
wondersailor
43 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Now all we have to do is to find someone to provide it for free! 

For free will not do here. The Philippines would have to be paid to take it.

• Haha 2
rfm010
16 hours ago, fivestarph said:

agree. I posted this yesterday which supports your view but it disappeared.

yeah, i saw this when it was posted.  then i saw the same thing elsewhere and so started a response, which i will post below.  basic point is while your post is right in terms of immunity not kicking in right away and the need to be careful, there were many problems with the post (the one you quoted, not yours) so i decided to respond, and then i decided not to.  and now i will.  any snarky comments are not directed toward you but rather the original author.  hopefully it is self explanatory:

the message i'm quoting below showed in this thread a few hours ago and then disappeared, for good reason i think.  not faulting the poster, who was just passing on something he'd seen.  but then i saw it again in that nasty viber thing that wife had me put on my laptop so i could follow family goings-on.   since it seems to be going around i'm going to repost it again here with my comments.   if mods want to remove it feel free.  but i will say to you what i said to the cousin who posted it:  don't be a turd.   but still, feel free.   my bullet by bullet comments in red.

It is worth knowing the reason for people getting infected even after taking two doses of the corona vaccine.

to start with no specific vaccine is indicated although jnj being one dose is out.  but given that none of the vaccines are showing 100% efficacy against infection that in itself is reason that some people get infected even after 2 doses.  the reasons given in the message are just silly.
▪️ The second dose is to be taken 21/28 days after the first dose of the corona vaccine.

that tends to be the recommendation for all the vaccines.  evidence is showing, howver, that at least for the mRNA vaccines you can space out your 2nd dose and still have rather good efficacy.  some people are saying that we should take advantage of this, put off 2nd doses and use them for first doses for new people.  the concern being that the longer people go without getting vaccine protection, the better the chance of new variants developing.  likely true-- evolution, even among viruses, can be a bitch.  but more true in cases where there are vaccine shortages. 
▪️ The vaccine starts to form antibodies immediately after entering the body.

the extent to which this is untrue depends upon the type of vaccine.  let's just say not true for rna and dna vaccines, closer to true for sinovac and novavax, but immediately is too strong, and antibodies aren't the only important part of the immune response.  on it's own a minor point, but the point is mis-used below.

▪️ When antibodies are forming in our body, our immunity decreases a lot.

i'm not aware of this.  my family says this is true for me regarding virtually everything in life, but in this case, i think the statement is wrong.  if so, much of what follows is just silly. 
▪️ When we take the second dose of the vaccine after the 21/28 days, our immunity decreases even more.

just silly.
▪️ 14 days after the second dose, when the antibodies are completely formed in our body, our immunity starts to grow rapidly.

ibid.  "when the antibodies are completely formed..."???   makes no sense.
▪️ During this one and a half month, due to low immunity, the chances of the corona virus entering our body are very high. It is due to an exposure to the virus at this vulnerable time that a person gets infected.

so much wrong above.  if i was any good at metaphors i would use one here to explain how the writer has no clue as to how antibodies work.  but they don't just keep building up in the background having no effect until suddenly boom! we're fully formed! now we work!  initial antibodies form fairly quickly once exposed to the antigen and once formed they work.  the immune system continues creating more antibodies and those work.  and so on, but with some tedious details about t cells and other stuff.  they don't just keep forming while your immune system weakens and then suddenly boom! etc. etc.

interesting this one and a half month bit seems to correspond to the chile experience where initial reports (which i have quoted in other posts, and which need expanding on) show little efficacy before the 2nd shot, weak efficacy the first 2 weeks after the second shot, and peak (full?) efficacy only after 2 weeks.   but this chilean experience is misrepresented (if being referred to) below. 

"...chances of the corona virus entering our body are very high...":  maybe is trying to say chances of infection causing harm is very high before the second shot.  but that is not what is said.  and it wouldn't be due to "low immunity".  and it wouldn't be true of the rna and dna vaccines which are showing a good amount of efficacy after the first shot (not RIGHT after).  

the chance of the virus entering our body has nothing to do with vaccines.  it has to do with swapping air with someone who is infected.  this is an important point in general.  it is why masks and distancing and ventilation are recommended.  vaccines are meant to fight infection, not prevent it. 

▪️ which makes it very risky to get out of the house during this month and a half.

silly.  whatever risk there may be to getting out of the house would have to do with risks of swapping air with an infected person.  if that risk is minimized then getting outside is good.  especially if wife finds that you've left the porch door open all night.  that and the benefits of vitamin d and such.   any risk to going outside has nothing to do with a weakened immune system.  going outside and acting as if your recent shot has fully immunized you, however, is risky.  see my above post about the indian situation.  again, if you got an rna or dna vaccine, after 2 weeks or so your immunity is kicking in and it is becoming less risky.  I WILL IN ANOTHER POST THROW IN A POTENTIAL CAVEAT FOR THE DNA VACCINES, ASTRA IN PARTICULAR AND REALLY JUST ANECTDOTAL.  india again.

▪️ Even after taking two doses of the vaccine, you can become a victim of Corona.

a beer joke seems appropriate here.  feel free to add your own.  i got nothin.

but again, the vaccines aren't going to be 100% effective, but if enough people get the good ones, herd immunity can kick in.  but it's a global world out there no matter what snopes says, and the vaccination needs to be global.  revelations never said the mark of the beast could be avoided.  don't fight it.
▪️ After one and a half months, the immunity in the body rises by 100 to 200 times, after which you are safe.

silly.  in a wtf??? sort of way.   don't know what is meant by immunity rising by 100 to any number of times.   you are safer with better vaccines, i would feel quite safe if me and my immediate circle all had a good vaccine.  that won't quite be the case with sinovac.  

▪️ Need to be careful and safe for one and a half months from the first dose.

very true.  and beyond.  variants may very well become nasty.  sinovac helps but it isn't what i'd like it to be.  pfizer bioNtech is saying they may need a third booster.  long way to go in this game still.  
That's why
▪️ Make sure to wear a mask

YES.  or at least keep your distance from me and anybody i or my family will be coming into contact with.
▪️ Get out of the house only if necessary

oh bite me.  turd. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
fred42
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Yeah- let's get rid of all those pesky ticks at the same time!  Definitely a filipino remedy!

Now all we have to do is to find someone to provide it for free!  Does the US really want access to Philippines bases?? 

No Ticks,no Covid and no Clots.. Sounds good to me.
Free in Quezon city.. Not too shabby!

Edited by fred42
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

The reason posts appear to disappear is that they are.

We've told everyone multiple times not to just post a link by itself. Just Including the title of the article by itself doesn't cut it either. Post the article from the link or at least a paragraph or two from the article so members get the gist of the article.

We've also asked that when posting an article, that you provide a link. If you just heard it on the grapevine, then say so.

• Like 1
Soupeod
11 hours ago, cookie47 said:

The nurse who gave me the jab said.

Sir, you know you still have to stay safe EVEN after your second dose.

I told her I'm trying..... I've only been outside the sub division gate 4 times in 14 months.... she nearly fell off her chair..

Good job!

11 hours ago, Dafey said:

Good! Send those doses to the Philippines!

I’ll take one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
redboy

I live a kind of hermits life in Consolacion Cebu, going out to ride my motorcycle, go to the store and generally stay at home. I was only aware of vaccines being available here yesterday when in a conversation with a barangay official they mentioned that seniors where being vaccinated that day, Yesterday Weds the 21. so they made a phone call and I was told to report to the local Barangay health office today which I did. Today was baby inoculation day, so I was there with all the moms and babies. They asked me to fill out a form and provide a Phil health number, which I don't have, they replied oh that's ok a drivers license will do. So duly registered I was told I would get a phone call some undetermined time in the future.  I asked which vaccine, (assuming it would be Sinovac),  to which they replied we don't know. So now I'm on the list,  I guess. Was ambivalent about taking Sinovac, but at my age any efficacy is reduced anyway, something is better than nothing, (unless it kills me) Maybe holding out for some possible future alternative is not wise. Actually I'm pretty OK with having no vaccine, but if it will help me politically to have more access to travel in the near future may be worth it. Now to delve into more in depth research on Sinovac.

• Like 2
rfm010
On 4/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, Dafey said:

.000133%

On 4/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, Dafey said:

So, 1 hundredth of 1 percent?

ok, perhaps you should go sit in the corner until recess and while you're there maybe ponder the idea that your preferred career choice of  "bookie" may not pan out? 

• Haha 3
fivestarph
On 4/21/2021 at 10:22 AM, fivestarph said:

24 hours on and so far no side effects. in fact my blod pressure has gone down.:thumbsup:

Well it's day 3 now and no side effects. 

• Like 4
redboy

Does anyone have a handle on what vaccines besides sinovac if any, are available in Cebu? or relative time lines for the introduction of other vaccines here?

Edited by redboy
arentol
18 minutes ago, redboy said:

Does anyone have a handle on what vaccines besides sinovac if any, are available in Cebu? or relative time lines for the introduction of other vaccines here?

Kindly see pinned post at top of thread for current info.

Regarding timelines, the next incoming vaccines are Moderna, Sputnik, and Pfizer (before June). Take all with a grain of salt as this is largely government hype until they actually arrive. 

Aren

Edited by arentol
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
redboy
1 hour ago, arentol said:

Regarding timelines, the next incoming vaccines are Moderna, Sputnik, and Pfizer (before June). Take all with a grain of salt as this is largely government hype until they actually arrive. 

Aren

Thanks. yes until you see it it isn't here.

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, redboy said:

Thanks. yes until you see it it isn't here.

My concern is- when it's here- is it really here?    Or is it Memorex? In this country cheap and fake is often king !

• Like 1