Vaccinations in the Philippines

rfm010
22 hours ago, Dafey said:

You're more likely to hit the lottery than get blood clots.

exactly right of course although it depends on the type of lottery, but it reminds me of the conversation i had last saturday with a missionary couple living down the street.  talking about vaccines and astra and i mentioned the 8 out of many million bit and they said "yeah, we know one of them.  that is, we know her father, who is very trustworthy".   i expect they are telling the truth.  what are the odds of that (rhetorically asking)?

• Like 1
  • Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• rfm010

• cookie47

• fivestarph

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got my first sinovac shot yesterday, city sponored done at a local school as a walk in.  Another school down the road was by appointment only.  3 hours of form filling and waiting.  Lines to pick up f

Only problem is that after a few hours, you still want another vaccine.  Aren

Update for Consolacion. I had previously registered with my Barangay health center and was told they would call when they had a schedule for Lamac, my Barangay. No issue about being a foreigner. that

Posted Images

rfm010
On 4/20/2021 at 2:57 PM, stuckoutside said:

These (( ed. Pfizer and Moderna)) vaccines are more effective than most of the others.

just a reminder that the astra and the jnj vaccines have shown close to 100% efficacy for preventing hospitalization and death.  of course with nation- or world-scale numbers none of the vaccines will continue to have 100% efficacy, but these numbers are pretty good in an exceptionally good sort of way.  novavax trial results have been just as good, should be here in september if india doesn't use it all up.

these variants could be game changers for any of the vaccines though.

• Like 1
rfm010
21 hours ago, arentol said:

After getting the first shot, Chile promptly started partying like there's no tomorrow... abandoning health protocols, etc. As a result, the country's cases have surged and hospitals are overflowing (story)

i believe i mentioned in one of my posts that chile found efficacy after the first shot was just 3%, then within the first two weeks of the second shot only 27%, and after 2 weeks up to 56% or so.  so yeah, getting your first shot and thinking all is well is going to cause problems.  had to make it very clear to the maid and her friends that they still needed to mask up.   none of this information was offered when we got our first shots last week ( i need to update my numbers from chile but that will await another post.)

apparently a similar situation is occuring in india.  here is part of a message from an indian national, taken from a seekingalpha chat room i follow:

As an Indian, I feel both sad and ashamed of the situation in India. People took things very very lightly starting Jan. Up until 2 weeks back I knew friends who were visiting beaches and flouting all kinds of safety measures. I am appalled by politicians and the health officials who did not educate masses about vaccine and its effects. People think that right day 1 after getting vaccine they get immunity. The business community got Greedy and they fed bribes to police/politicians so there was absolutely 0 enforcement cos of that. I have never known so many friends/neighbours/ relatives who are sick or in hospital. I lost a friend who was 40 years old and absolutely healthy. This wave is killing so many folks who are in age 30-50. And deaths are at least 2-3 times higher. In many places, they just take the body directly to creamatorium or burial.

• Like 3
rfm010
19 hours ago, RR3 said:

There is a world outside US.

i checked this out on snopes.  they say no there isn't.

• Haha 5
SkyMan
28 minutes ago, rfm010 said:

i checked this out on snopes.  they say no there isn't.

I think it's listed as partially false.

• Like 2
rfm010
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I think it's listed as partially false.

that's what happens when you allow a canadian on staff.

• Haha 3
Soupeod
5 hours ago, cookie47 said:

UK Screening..

Just spoke to my sister in the UK..

Has had both jabs now.

Proceedings were much simpler than the Philippines.Only ID and registration. Speak to doctor who already accessed her medical records on line.

No other checks ....Wait 30 minutes after.....Then go....

Effin as it should be! 😅

• Like 3
rfm010

in a previous long winded post i alluded to this post, regarding a caveat for astrazeneca.  it is anecdotal at best, i can only assume that all the vaccinations referred to are AZ, but on third reading i can't swear to it by any means.  i can say that given this post and another above from this person i dont want to be within a continent's distance from him/her:

a question was raised in a biotech stock chat room :

"Question I have is Double mutant strain in India : Can it affect the people in US who have already been vaccinated?"

an answer given by an indian national:

"...People who have taken 1st/2nd dose of AZN have been getting Covid regularly. I know a Dr. couple who took the 2 doses almost 2 months back but still got Covid. My aunt/Uncle got cvoid 1st dose 1 month back and got Covid and both are admitted in hospital. I also know a neighbor who died from Covid. He most probably had his 1st dose (since he was 70 yrd old) . My wife's uncle just got Covid yday morning. He had his first dose almost a month back..."

seems like a good place to  add this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2021/04/20/double-mutant-covid-variant-heres-what-we-know-as-israel-reports-vaccine-efficacy-against-variant-first-detected-in-india/?sh=4e0644ab2fb3

‘Double Mutant’ Covid Variant: Here’s What We Know As Israel Reports Vaccine Efficacy Against Variant First Detected In India

Israeli health officials on Tuesday reported the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is at least partially effective against the potentially worrisome Indian variant of the coronavirus which has been rapidly spreading in India’s worst-hit Covid-19 hotspots and is being viewed as the likely culprit behind the country’s devastating second wave.

The B.1.617 or “double mutant Indian variant carries two mutations including the L452R and E484Q which have been seen separately before in other variants but never together in one variant.

The L425R mutation which has been spotted in fast-spreading variants in California can reportedly increase the binding power of the virus’ spike proteins with human cells, making it more transmissible and can also potentially increase viral replication.

The E484Q is reportedly similar to the E484K mutation found in the U.K. and South African variants of the coronavirus which have shown to lower the effectiveness of antibodies generated by a vaccine or a previous bout of Covid-19.

Experts in India have expressed concern about the purported high transmissibility of double mutant variant as almost 60% of all positive cases in India’s Covid-19 epicenter, Maharashtra, have been caused by the B.1.617 variant.

The concerning variant has now also been detected in several countries including the U.K., U.S., Israel, Australia, New Zealand, Germany and several others prompting travel bans and or advisories.

Israel on Tuesday registered eight cases caused by the Indian variant—mostly among people arriving from abroad—and reported that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine “has efficacy against it, albeit a reduced efficacy,” Reuters reported.

Tangent

On Monday, after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson canceled his planned visit to India, the U.K. added the country to its Covid-19 “red list” which bans entry of all travelers from that country. While announcing India’s addition to the list, U.K. Health Secretary Matt Hancock implied that the concerning Indian variant was the primary driving force behind the decision. Hancock said the U.K. has found 103 cases caused by the double mutant variant, most of which have links to international travel and have been picked up at the border. While the U.S. has not imposed a similar travel ban, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has asked U.S. citizens to avoid all travel to India. The CDC also warned that even fully vaccinated individuals may be at risk of catching and spreading the variants found in India.

What We Don’t Know

Researchers are still trying to answer two big questions about the double mutant variant. Is it more deadlier than other variants and do existing vaccines work against it? According to Bloomberg, the L452R mutation has been well studied in the U.S. and it has shown to increase transmission by around 20% and reduce antibody efficacy by more than 50%. This could imply a blunting of vaccine efficacy, but the reports from Israel suggest that at least one of the vaccines still offers some protection against it. There is no data on the variant’s virulence, and while India has seen a spike in deaths from Covid-19 it has been accompanied by a similarly large spike in new cases. Citing clinical anecdotes, an expert on the Maharastra Covid Task Force told the Indian Express that the variant may spread faster but is likely less virulent and doesn’t cause dramatically more hospitalizations. He contends that the high transmissibility of the virus has led to a rise in absolute numbers of hospitalizations, thereby burdening the health infrastructure. However, this assumption is largely anecdotal.

What To Watch For

Genomic sequencing of the virus in India remains severely limited as the country’s health infrastructure is pushed to the limit by the latest surge in Covid-19 cases. The country has a population of 1.4 billion people and is now reporting over 250,000 new Covid-19 cases daily which experts worry may lead to the development of other variants of the virus that may go undetected until they spread into other countries.

• Thanks 2
RR3

Latest: EU cancels their option to buy 300 million doses of az and j&j jabs

• Like 1
Swissrider
They might cancel. This is not official yet. Some media were reporting this story. But OK, it might well be true. IMO, the two are still better than the chinese version.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 4
fivestarph
7 hours ago, rfm010 said:

i believe i mentioned in one of my posts that chile found efficacy after the first shot was just 3%, then within the first two weeks of the second shot only 27%, and after 2 weeks up to 56% or so.  so yeah, getting your first shot and thinking all is well is going to cause problems.  had to make it very clear to the maid and her friends that they still needed to mask up.   none of this information was offered when we got our first shots last week ( i need to update my numbers from chile but that will await another post.)

apparently a similar situation is occuring in india.  here is part of a message from an indian national, taken from a seekingalpha chat room i follow:

As an Indian, I feel both sad and ashamed of the situation in India. People took things very very lightly starting Jan. Up until 2 weeks back I knew friends who were visiting beaches and flouting all kinds of safety measures. I am appalled by politicians and the health officials who did not educate masses about vaccine and its effects. People think that right day 1 after getting vaccine they get immunity. The business community got Greedy and they fed bribes to police/politicians so there was absolutely 0 enforcement cos of that. I have never known so many friends/neighbours/ relatives who are sick or in hospital. I lost a friend who was 40 years old and absolutely healthy. This wave is killing so many folks who are in age 30-50. And deaths are at least 2-3 times higher. In many places, they just take the body directly to creamatorium or burial.

I agree. I posted this yesterday which supports your view but it disappeared.

It is worth knowing the reason for people getting infected even after taking two doses of the corona vaccine.
 The second dose is to be taken 21/28 days after the first dose of the corona vaccine.
 The vaccine starts to form antibodies immediately after entering the body.
 When antibodies are forming in our body, our immunity decreases a lot.
 When we take the second dose of the vaccine after the 21/28 days, our immunity decreases even more.
 14 days after the second dose, when the antibodies are completely formed in our body, our immunity starts to grow rapidly.
 During this one and a half month, due to low immunity, the chances of the corona virus entering our body are very high. It is due to an exposure to the virus at this vulnerable time that a person gets infected.
 which makes it very risky to get out of the house during this month and a half.
 Even after taking two doses of the vaccine, you can become a victim of Corona.
 After one and a half months, the immunity in the body rises by 100 to 200 times, after which you are safe.
 Need to be careful and safe for one and a half months from the first dose.

fred42

The good news is that Duterte just OK`d clinical trials in the Philippines for Ivermectin V Covid 19.
Smart.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
cookie47
41 minutes ago, fivestarph said:

During this one and a half month, due to low immunity, the chances of the corona virus entering our body are very high.

The nurse who gave me the jab said.

Sir, you know you still have to stay safe EVEN after your second dose.

I told her I'm trying..... I've only been outside the sub division gate 4 times in 14 months.... she nearly fell off her chair..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
4 hours ago, RR3 said:

Good! Send those doses to the Philippines!

• Like 5
  • Administrator
Dafey
9 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

If you put the percentage, move the decimal 2 places to the right...   .000133%

So, 1 hundredth of 1 percent? Much better odds than Russian Roulette!

• Haha 1