Vaccinations in the Philippines

arentol
6 hours ago, BossHog said:

Sounds good but look at the numbers in that article. 117,000 and 200,000 doses delivered in May/June. That's not enough for even one half of one percent of the population. And if you need two doses of those the number of people covered by those shipments is going to be really really small considering the Phil's large population of, I think, 110 million.

They do say 20 million more doses of the Moderna vaccine 'by the end of the year' but we'll see.

Agreed. 

The easier task may be vaccinating the most susceptible people (seniors + those with comorbidities), simply because the pool of people is smaller and there's a compelling reason for them to be vaccinated.

Attaining herd immunity here may be quite a challenge, though, as Filipinos are prone to falsified or misleading headlines spread via FB, Messenger, etc. If the government offers cash incentives, then herd immunity may be more attainable... I imagine there'd be stories of Juan and Pedro getting multiple vaccinations to finance their sabong vices.

In Chile, over 85% of vaccinations used SinoVac which provides a lowly 16% protection after the first dose. After getting the first shot, Chile promptly started partying like there's no tomorrow... abandoning health protocols, etc. As a result, the country's cases have surged and hospitals are overflowing (story). Filipinos, being a highly disciplined people, will assuredly not succumb to such frivolities. :/

As for me, I am straightening out my blood pressure issues right now so that, when the time comes, my BP readouts will be within the range of controlled hypertension. Ideally, hoping to get a Pfizer or Moderna shot when available via qualification as one with a controlled comorbidity.

Aren

• Like 4
  • Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• rfm010

• cookie47

• fivestarph

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got my first sinovac shot yesterday, city sponored done at a local school as a walk in.  Another school down the road was by appointment only.  3 hours of form filling and waiting.  Lines to pick up f

Only problem is that after a few hours, you still want another vaccine.  Aren

Update for Consolacion. I had previously registered with my Barangay health center and was told they would call when they had a schedule for Lamac, my Barangay. No issue about being a foreigner. that

Posted Images

Soupeod
12 hours ago, arentol said:

Good news: Pfizer and Moderna vaccines may be here soon.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/amp/news/04/20/21/philippines-covid-vaccine-pfizer-moderna-when

Aren

The lack of an indemnity deal, which settles who will shoulder the cost of adverse effects from the vaccine, delayed the arrival of the first Pfizer batch initially expected in mid-February. 

Authorities expect to settle the deal "hopefully next month," said Romualdez.

So, some Government authority is responsible for the delay. Who I wonder?

Im guessing it might take another six months to ascertain who is in charge of tying shoelaces! :lol:

• Like 2
RR3
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

There are 8 cases in the US out of 6,000,000 vaccinated. Do the math. You're more likely to hit the lottery than get blood clots. And , if you do it's not a death sentence. For many of us, at our tender ages and health conditions, catching the virus is more of a death sentence.

Now...I appreciate your apprehension if you don't want to get the vaccine. It is a personal choice. And if anyone would like to post facts about any of the vaccines, please feel free to do so. However, let's not try to "shame" people into getting or not getting the vaccine with half truths. If anyone has a factual article to post, please do so with a link.

There is a world outside US. Reports of blood clot deaths be az, johnson jabs in Australia, Austria, UK, Norway, Finland etc. I follow the news every day internationally, not only US.

I want SputnikV, the best of them all, no blood clots. Where to get?

• Like 1
BossHog
4 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Height , weight, oxymeter, Blood pressure.

A little surprising to read about all this health screening before vaccination. Are other countries doing all this too?

There's an article on CNN  this afternoon saying even some Philippine health groups are suggesting this screening can be skipped but the Health Department insists it's needed.

Edited by BossHog
cookie47
7 minutes ago, BossHog said:

health screening

I will ask my sister in the UK tonight.(she's had Astra Zeneka)

She didn't specifically mention such, just to arrive and that's it..

Maybe only specific to Seniors in PH...( It was seniors day today)..

Edited by cookie47
Addition
  • Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey
2 hours ago, RR3 said:

I follow the news every day internationally, not only US.

As do I. I was just using the US an example because they have already vaccinated 6,000,000 peeps and only 8 developed blood clots. My math is a little rusty but is that .00000133%?

• Like 1
cookie47

UK Screening..

Just spoke to my sister in the UK..

Has had both jabs now.

Proceedings were much simpler than the Philippines.Only ID and registration. Speak to doctor who already accessed her medical records on line.

No other checks ....Wait 30 minutes after.....Then go....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Ozepete
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

As do I. I was just using the US an example because they have already vaccinated 6,000,000 peeps and only 8 developed blood clots. My math is a little rusty but is that .00000133%?

And that's a bloody side better odds than no vax and catching covid 19.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

Speak to doctor who already accessed her medical records on line.

Accessed her records online...there you go! 

27 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

And that's a bloody side better odds than no vax and catching covid 19.

In my opinion yes...but, I respect anyone's wish not to get a vax or to get a specific vax or...to get it in the arse instead of their arm!

:showing-ass:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
rfm010
13 hours ago, Dafey said:

My math is a little rusty but is that .00000133%?

oh man, i hate to do this to you, but you'd better put some new batteries in your slide rule.

it's one thing to get it wrong.  it's another to be the person who points it out to you.  life of the party, that's me.

• Haha 3
  • Administrator
Dafey

so what's it work out to? Don't be my 3rd grade mat teacher and make me keep working it out till I get it right! (toughest 4 years of my life!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
rfm010
17 hours ago, RR3 said:

I want SputnikV, the best of them all, no blood clots. Where to get?

get in mother russia. 

but why do you think no blood clots?  astra and jnj are the one's with the (potential) blood clot problems and they are both adenovirus delivered dna vaccines.  guess what type sputnik is?

rfm010
12 hours ago, Dafey said:

so what's it work out to? Don't be my 3rd grade mat teacher and make me keep working it out till I get it right! (toughest 4 years of my life!)

math. 

see what happens when the system passes a kid simply because he's  grown too big for his desk? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mikecon3
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

the answer you gave is correct, without the percentage. If you put the percentage, move the decimal 2 places to the right...   .000133%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
rfm010
On 4/20/2021 at 2:57 PM, stuckoutside said:

These vaccines are more effective than most of the others. The problem is that they must be kept at very cold temperatures or they lose effectiveness completely.

fortunately the pfizer bioNtech vaccine requirements have been relaxed to a manageable level:

feb 25:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-allows-more-flexible-storage-transportation-conditions-pfizer

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that it is allowing undiluted frozen vials of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to be transported and stored at conventional temperatures commonly found in pharmaceutical freezers for a period of up to two weeks.

12 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

the answer you gave is correct, without the percentage. If you put the percentage, move the decimal 2 places to the right...   .000133%

you know, if you're going to insist on doing your dad's homework for him he's never going to actually learn to think for himself.

• Like 3