18 University Of The Philippines Students Killed In Encounters With Gov’t Forces

softail

softail

18 UP students killed in encounters with gov’t forces – Gapay

By Margret Fermin - January 21, 202

Armed Forces of the Philippines chief of staff General Gilbert Gapay said at 18 students from the University of the Philippines students who joined the New People’s Army have been killed in encounters with the military and police.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana earlier that he is open to discussing the abrogation of the UP-DND accord with UP if the university leadership could explain why its students were among those killed in encounters between the New People’s Army rebels and the government forces.

Gapay said the university had become a recruitment base for the NPA.

“Per AFP records, at least 18 UP students who were recruited by the NPA perished in skirmishes with government security forces. And this deadly recruitment has to stop,” Gapay said.

“[They] can no longer lurk in the university as they did before knowing that the AFP cannot enter the campuses without prior consent of the school administrators,” he added.

The UP-DND accord has banned the military and the police inside the university since the 1970s.

“We cannot remain bound by an agreement that dictates that we have to seek permission before we can enter UP campuses. We should not be tied to a covenant that requires prior notice before we can effect arrests or searches even if the courts have issued the warrants,” Gapay said.

18 UP students killed in encounters with gov’t forces – Gapay

“We are confident however that the voiding of the agreement will bring about an opportunity. As a way forward, we will pursue a more collaborative relationship between UP —and other universities for that matter— to usher the rebirth of schools and state universities that are bastions of genuine patriotism and not of misguided activism,” he added.

The AFP official also called for the equal protection clause of the Constitution, saying only UP benifitted under the agreement.

“The fact that only UP enjoys such privileges under the voided agreement violates the Equal Protection Clause under the Constitution.  There is no substantial distinction between UP and other schools, state colleges, and universities,” Gapay said.

“To give to UP such entitlement places it an unfairly advantaged status over the academic institutions and defies that Constitutional guarantee of equality of rights and protection under our laws,” he added.

Aside from UP, the Polytechnic University of the Philippines also has an agreement with the DND when it comes to the entry of police and soldiers into the university.

https://philippineslifestyle.com/18-up-students-killed-ecnounters-gapay/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Davaoeno

This announcement is just soooo  timely!!  Maybe they can somehow link UP with the death of the PAL flight attendant! 

RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

This announcement is just soooo  timely!!  Maybe they can somehow link UP with the death of the PAL flight attendant! 

I seem to have missed the point that you are trying to make, if there is one.

samatm

ok  was this one mass UP student killing event.. or   over what time span were the 18 students killed?       I think too bad ... they are going back on this.. agreement...using terrorism as a pretext.     Its kind of nice  to be able to think , write, and speak without having to worry about political correctness or police coercion .   My son is  a UP student and hasn't turned red yet.. i don't think. 

RogerDuMond
19 hours ago, samatm said:

ok  was this one mass UP student killing event.. or   over what time span were the 18 students killed?   

No, the list presented to Up for explanation is since the 1970s, but several have happened since 2017.

19 hours ago, samatm said:

I think too bad ... they are going back on this.. agreement...using terrorism as a pretext.     Its kind of nice  to be able to think , write, and speak without having to worry about political correctness or police coercion . 

UP is the only school in the Philippines that has this agreement that was signed in 1988. I think this is only a problem when the students decide to speak with bullets. There is no police coercion to prevent free speech at other universities, so why would you expect it to happen here?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
6 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

I seem to have missed the point that you are trying to make, if there is one.

I think it's his nice way of saying the title is click baiting. The killings have occurred over a period of decades and not in a single encounter...

• Like 3
cvgtpc1

Is there a campus police force then like some US universities, or its open season if you're a criminal on a UP campus?

rfm010
22 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

Is there a campus police force then like some US universities, or its open season if you're a criminal on a UP campus?

There is a campus police at diliman.  Campus crime rate is much lower than surrounding areas, some parts of which are basically squatter areas.

the good general should perhaps be asked to explain to the up community and the nation at large the high number of soldiers and police involved in various criminal acts, maybe he could start with the upper ranks.   

Maybe the good general could explain why, after all these decades, such little progress has been made in defeating the npa.  Knocking off 18 students in 40 -50 years just isnt going to get the job done.

Without an acceptable explanation for the above i think the military and police should be happy to allow the up community full access to all military/police bases, records, and bank accounts.  Start with the salns for some of my neighbors.  "Fighting" prolonged wars does keep the money flowing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Sibonga Simon
2 hours ago, rfm010 said:

There is a campus police at diliman.  Campus crime rate is much lower than surrounding areas, some parts of which are basically squatter areas.

the good general should perhaps be asked to explain to the up community and the nation at large the high number of soldiers and police involved in various criminal acts, maybe he could start with the upper ranks.   

Maybe the good general could explain why, after all these decades, such little progress has been made in defeating the npa.  Knocking off 18 students in 40 -50 years just isnt going to get the job done.

Without an acceptable explanation for the above i think the military and police should be happy to allow the up community full access to all military/police bases, records, and bank accounts.  Start with the salns for some of my neighbors.  "Fighting" prolonged wars does keep the money flowing.

And with a student body exceeding 25,000 - 18 or 80 are just not significant.  And I bet if you discounted the ones killed for messing with a sister/wife/GF of a soldier, and then the ones which were drug related, and then the ones that were some sort of weird vendetta.... well, you would not be left with many reds under the bed.

• Thanks 2
RogerDuMond
2 hours ago, Sibonga Simon said:

And I bet if you discounted the ones killed for messing with a sister/wife/GF of a soldier, and then the ones which were drug related, and then the ones that were some sort of weird vendetta.... well, you would not be left with many reds under the bed.

Except that, according to records, they were all killed in skirmishes with the NPA.

Sibonga Simon
5 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

Except that, according to records, they were all killed in skirmishes with the NPA.

I stand corrected.  

So, were they with the NPA because they were UP students, or because they were disgruntled with the government?  One way to make the NPA ineffective would simply to govern in a better, less corrupt, and equitable manner.  Just joking, that could never happen.

RogerDuMond
12 minutes ago, Sibonga Simon said:

So, were they with the NPA because they were UP students, or because they were disgruntled with the government? 

yes

samatm

My wife joined an NPA band in Leyte when she was 18...just because the group was friendly and fun and  had a mission to "save the world"  and the Philippines!   It was an adventure that lasted 4 months until she started back to school .. Kinda of  like a summer camp.      She could have been one of those killed in a skirmish and labeled an NPA activist.. They are mostly .just a bunch of kids and some  Older folks still acting like kids in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Sibonga Simon
23 hours ago, samatm said:

My wife joined an NPA band in Leyte when she was 18...just because the group was friendly and fun and  had a mission to "save the world"  and the Philippines!   It was an adventure that lasted 4 months until she started back to school .. Kinda of  like a summer camp.      She could have been one of those killed in a skirmish and labeled an NPA activist.. They are mostly .just a bunch of kids and some  Older folks still acting like kids in my opinion. 

Lots of us do some dumb things when we are young.  I also joined a military unit, and went off to fight some supposed foes.  These days my house is filled with appliances made by those 'commies', as is my car, and my phone, and my neighbor.  A little time and perspective seems to be a better way to understand differences than to label them as enemy of the people, make them outlaws and attractive to the naive.

• Like 2