Can LINC members have all of their posts deleted?

Kreole

In the internet world of concentration of power, do people have the right to have their data deleted permanently?  I recently read where there is an ongoing action to erase all of a person's data across all platforms; basically to disappear him and his personal posts, tweets, etc.  If they can do that, can they erase or delete a person's data upon request?  I pose this question here, since this is the only social media site where I am currently active and actually post.  Can LINC delete all of the member's users posts upon request from the member?  Not only am I curious to know the answer, but also what members think of this?  I hope I do not get banned for asking this question as it seems as legitimate as asking can people request facebook to delete all of their data.

Davaoeno

It's OK with me.  You have my permission to have all your posts deleted.

Admins:  please note!

• Haha 3
lamoe

Some countries and, many dictatorships disappear people - now the social media is doing it virtually. They're already re-writing history to suit their agenda.

Winston, we have an opening for you at Twitter.

BossHog
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

Not only am I curious to know the answer, but also what members think of this?

Likely it would wreak havoc on the continuity of archived conversations and render otherwise helpful topics incomprehensible. That would seem to be the main reason why deleting a member's entire output would be unfeasible.  

Moreover, it's not really a technology issue; it's always been the case that once you engage in public discourse your words and their effect will remain. I imagine even Socrates wished he could take some things back as he sipped on his hemlock cup.

Edited by BossHog
  • Thanks 2
SkyMan

It's like a tattoo. Don't post anything you're going to regret. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Jester

The only one I have seen is a long time ago in a land far away.  A guy named Dallas was upset on the bus conversion forum and somehow deleted every one of his posts for a number of years.  Really screwed up some conversations.   Never did hear how he did it.  Due to the number of his posts over the years I cannot see how he could do them one at a time! 

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
8 hours ago, BossHog said:

Likely it would wreak havoc on the continuity of archived conversations and render otherwise helpful topics incomprehensible. That would seem to be the main reason why deleting a member's entire output would be unfeasible.  

Moreover, it's not really a technology issue; it's always been the case that once you engage in public discourse your words and their effect will remain. I imagine even Socrates wished he could take some things back as he sipped on his hemlock cup.

Bingo for the Boss.

In one word "continuity". The reason we don't remove a member and all their posts.

LinC has been threatened by members who want this done, with everything from the proverbial lawsuit, to reporting us to the New York Times and even the FBI. 

Maybe I should post some of them, without the author's name of course. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Chris24

How about goign back and edtign all of sooenes' posts for typoes  typeso typos?  

• Haha 2
lamoe
4 hours ago, Chris24 said:

How about goign back and edtign all of sooenes' posts for typoes  typeso typos?  

If so them I'd be gone - some / most? would like :showing-ass::biggrin_01:

• Haha 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
8 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

In one word "continuity". The reason we don't remove a member and all their posts.

Actually it would be extremely time consuming. Since we are not 'paid' for our services I doubt that any Admins/Mods would choose to spend their free time in doing this on request.

But...what are you offering?

• Haha 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
5 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Actually it would be extremely time consuming. Since we are not 'paid' for our services I doubt that any Admins/Mods would choose to spend their free time in doing this on request.

But...what are you offering?

I could remove all 7,458 of your posts in a few seconds...:wink:

delete.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
27 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I could remove all 7,458 of your posts in a few seconds...:wink:

Dolt! Almost made us some real jing!

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Over a year ago, another staff member accidently hid all of a member's posts.

May have only took a few seconds, but un-hiding them is still an ongoing process. There is no global unhide command so it has to be done one at a time. The member had over 1,500 posts. I think I came across one just this week. I'm not looking for them, but when I come across one, I fix it...

Needless to say, I removed the ability for any staff to do it in the future.

dhide.JPG

jaybee747
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

What about "anonymizing" the posts instead of removing them? I mean removing email id, location and any other identifying info from the user profile? 

BossHog
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

If so them I'd be gone - some / most? would like :showing-ass::biggrin_01:

Okay, I take it back. In a few certain cases deleting all of a member's posts might actually improve general coherency.

• Haha 7