Irenicus

Updated information on PCR Testing in Cebu (Location/Price/Turnaround)??

Already a topic on this but hasn't been updated in 30 days.

We have to go to Cebu on Tuesday the 16th for a citizenship appointment at the US Consulate.  To get back to Dumaguete (Negros Oriental), we need PCR tests for my wife, my kid and myself.  Looking for locations, price and how long results take.  Anyone have any recent experience getting PCR tests in and around Cebu City?

Thanks.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Kreole

• SkyMan

• Dafey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This may be a new option. Who wants to be first to try it in the Philippines? The rest describes the process. It's worth going to the link to read it all but too much to post.  

Posted Images

lamoe

Today - need test for cataract surgery - Cebu Doctors - P1,600 - ( P5,000 without Philhealth) - 24 to 48 hrs wait, Precision moved to side street - P1,400 5 / 6 hrs wait (can't use Philhealth)

Screenshot 2021-03-09 173537.png

Screenshot 2021-03-09 174132.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
OnNo

Bayanihan Center. Rear Landers Market. 5 Days. Pick up only. Drive thru Soto Hosp. Emailed 3 Days. No charge either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Irenicus
51 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Precision moved to side street - P1,400 5 / 6 hrs wait (can't use Philhealth)

Thanks, Moe.  I just messaged Precision at that location and they quoted 3,700 and no Phil Health deduction.  

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Irenicus said:

Thanks, Moe.  I just messaged Precision at that location and they quoted 3,700 and no Phil Health deduction.  

Their website says that's the 2-3 day result price.  P4K for 24 hours.  P5K for 24hrs and home testing.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
SkyMan

The Red Cross does the spit test for p2K.  A number of locations around Cebu.  

COVID-19 Saliva Test (RT-PCR)

reich31e

Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center has free Swab Test. You have to register online for a schedule. But I'm not sure if it's only for Cebuanos free.

Try to contact them to find out.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialVSMMC/

Edited by reich31e
  • Like 2
lamoe
11 hours ago, Irenicus said:

I went to front desk and asked - good thing you asked.  Sorry for wrong info -  I'll try to go again to clarify.

lamoe
16 hours ago, Irenicus said:

That's because they know you.:db: - went back today - had guy who gave me info write and sign what cost was. Not saying he's correct, just what he said.

20210310_110300[1].jpg

• Like 1
Irenicus
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

That's because they know you.:db: - went back today - had guy who gave me info write and sign what cost was. Not saying he's correct, just what he said.

Did they say what the turnaround time was on the test?  We have to have it back within 72 hours in order to get an acceptance letter back to Negros.

lamoe
37 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

Did they say what the turnaround time was on the test?  We have to have it back within 72 hours in order to get an acceptance letter back to Negros.

He said  5 to 6 hours  for "Rapid" - but who knows? Hospital said 24 to 42

Problem is if you get there and he's wrong  it will be "sorry bout that"

Edited by lamoe
rfm010

OP mentions need for pcr test.  Later posts drift to rapid antibody test.  Not the same thing.  Be sure you are getting what you actualy need.  child gets pcr tests every couple of weeks, i seem to recall it taking at least a day, but the test people know she always goes in 4 days before travel, so i dont know if they know there is no rush, or if that is their "rush".   Will check with her tonight if i see her.   Turnaround time for pcr depends on instrumentation, supply of trained persons, and demand.  Best case for all 3 should allow results within a day, certainly within 24 hours.  Less than best case, with you showing up in person, shouldnt be more than a couple of days.  See if emailed or texted results can be used for your needs.  

A less than best case scenario that just occured to me is somebody tells you they can do it but then sends the swab out to the people with the instruments.  You might ask about that.  It would mean slower turnaround time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
lamoe

What’s The Difference Between COVID-19 Rapid and PCR Tests?

https://www.memorialhealthcare.org/whats-the-difference-between-covid-19-rapid-and-prc-tests/

November 9, 2020

Testing for COVID-19 has tremendous value when it comes to trying to contain the spread of the COVID virus. According to Dr. Joseph Bustamante, Chief Medical Officer at Memorial Healthcare, “The variety of testing platforms for SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) available today can be rather confusing. There are some clear indications as to which test you should get and some not so clear reasons.”

WHAT TYPES OF TEST ARE AVAILABLE?

There are essentially two broad categories of testing:

Antigen test (frequently referred to as a rapid test). This test detects protein fragments specific to the Coronavirus. It can be done in a clinic, doctor’s office, or hospital. Turnaround time for results is usually very quick and in some cases, results can be reported within 15 minutes.

PCR test. PCR testing is considered the “gold standard” in SARS-CoV-2 detection. This test actually detects RNA (or genetic material) that is specific to the virus and can detect the virus within days of infection, even those who have no symptoms. The test can be done in a clinic, hospital, or even in your car. Turnaround time is longer, generally in the 2-3 day range but results can be in as little as 24 hours. When demand is high, results can take a week or longer.

WHO SHOULD GET A RAPID TEST?

Rapid tests are considered most accurate in a patient who is having symptoms of COVID-19. While the rapid test can get you results very quickly, the results may not always be accurate.

WHAT DOES A FALSE NEGATIVE OR FALSE POSITIVE MEAN?

In those who don’t have symptoms, the false negative rate — meaning my test is negative but I actually have the disease — can be as high as 50%. This can have tremendous consequences as we try to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The false positive rate — meaning I test positive but I do not really have the disease — is quite low. So, if you test positive from a rapid test it is more likely you do have the disease.

Current recommendation is to have a confirmation test performed (the PCR test) if you still have symptoms and have had a negative rapid test. This is especially true if you’ve had a high-risk exposure. A high risk exposure is considered more than 15 minutes of contact with a COVID-positive individual in a 24-hour period and you have been within 6 feet of this individual.

tps://www.memorialhealthcare.org/whats-the-difference-between-covid-19-rapid-and-prc-tests/

rfm010

Checked with daughter, says typically she gets results in 12 to 24 hours.  she does her tests at 7am has always had results next day noon at latest.  But this isnt in cebu, rather, just to verify it is possible to get results in a reasonable time frame.

Pman
On 3/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, Irenicus said:

Thanks for all the information, but it is no longer needed.  The Governor of Negros just flexed and ordered the mayor of Dumaguete to allow people back onto Negros without testing (so long as they are not showing symptoms).

Bahala frikkin na.

Sooo.... can you now drive down from Cebu and take the boat across to duma???

My wife wants to visit to Philippines this summer and I prefer flying into Cebu.