Flying Davao -> Manila -> Australia...

SkyMan

So what now? A fortnight in a posh hotel? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peabody Strange

• cookie47

• BossHog

• Ozepete

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's see....A $100 a night to the hotel and $100 to the politicians for assigning the dive as a quarantine hotel. Bet the politicians never ate a meal there nor spent a night. Always good money to be

Includes basic 3 meals a day, no choice of menu, e.g. Breakfast is cereal and milk.  Lunch is a sandwhich.  Dinner I suppose varies, but last night it was 2 tired looking sausages with some watery mas

ADDENDUM: Finally arrived in Cairns but was picked by customs for a thorough reaming. i.e. Every bag opened, laptops and phones content examined, the full 9 yards.  Everything passed except my ni

Peabody Strange
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

So what now? A fortnight in a posh hotel? 

I wouldn't say it's a posh hotel but it's alright.  Except I have no choice but to pay $2800 for my compulsory (but comfortable) imprisonment.

• Like 4
SkyMan
14 minutes ago, Peabody Strange said:

I wouldn't say it's a posh hotel but it's alright.  Except I have no choice but to pay $2800 for my compulsory (but comfortable) imprisonment.

$200/night and I'm guessing you can't use the pool or gym. Does the price include food? Did you have to pay that before your flight?

• Like 1
Peabody Strange
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

$200/night and I'm guessing you can't use the pool or gym. Does the price include food? Did you have to pay that before your flight?

Includes basic 3 meals a day, no choice of menu, e.g. Breakfast is cereal and milk.  Lunch is a sandwhich.  Dinner I suppose varies, but last night it was 2 tired looking sausages with some watery mash potato.

Coffee/Tea sachets are provided and rooms have an electric kettle and bottled water.

Not allowed to leave the room or for anyone to enter.  Meals are left outside the door with a knock announcing their presence.

At the end of 14 days, presented with an invoice; 30 days to pay.

Guards patrol the corridors.

Basically a somewhat up-market modern prison with a more spacious cell.  That you have to pay for!

Oh but one thing they definitely do not provide is a razor.  I guess being clean shaven is a luxury.  Or maybe, given the dullness of the food, it's safer not to give "guests" anything sharp.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
Davaoeno
2 hours ago, Peabody Strange said:

Includes basic 3 meals a day, 

Our definition of " basic" is very different !!  Lol

• Like 2
cookie47
4 hours ago, Peabody Strange said:

Dinner I suppose varies,

A couple of Four and Twenty pies would go down well..... Always a good backup....🤣

• Like 1
BossHog

My mate did the quarantine at the Pacific Hotel in Cairns. Said he lived off of food and booze delivery from https://www.woolworths.com.au/ and https://bws.com.au/ since the hotel grub was pretty dire.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
wondersailor
17 hours ago, Peabody Strange said:

Includes basic 3 meals a day, no choice of menu, e.g. Breakfast is cereal and milk.  Lunch is a sandwhich.  Dinner I suppose varies, but last night it was 2 tired looking sausages with some watery mash potato.

Coffee/Tea sachets are provided and rooms have an electric kettle and bottled water.

Not allowed to leave the room or for anyone to enter.  Meals are left outside the door with a knock announcing their presence.

At the end of 14 days, presented with an invoice; 30 days to pay.

Guards patrol the corridors.

Basically a somewhat up-market modern prison with a more spacious cell.  That you have to pay for!

Oh but one thing they definitely do not provide is a razor.  I guess being clean shaven is a luxury.  Or maybe, given the dullness of the food, it's safer not to give "guests" anything sharp.

Let's see....A $100 a night to the hotel and $100 to the politicians for assigning the dive as a quarantine hotel. Bet the politicians never ate a meal there nor spent a night. Always good money to be made on a pandemic.

• Like 7

Thank you so much Peabody, for shearing your story with us. For my part, I do very much appreciate it.

Not easy to give good advices for your situation. My first thought was: Think as a POW.

Beside doing manual training making you physical tired and sleepy; Give yourself a mental task. My advice:

Write a story about your experiences. Something that you can sell to a News Paper - or write a book. Or just for yourself. What you wrote here tells me that you are capable of doing that with nerve and making feelings.

Forget Guy Fowlkes, you dont wat to end like him, do you?

Again, thank you, good luck and all the best.

• Like 3
Ozepete
7 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Let's see....A $100 a night to the hotel and $100 to the politicians for assigning the dive as a quarantine hotel. Bet the politicians never ate a meal there nor spent a night. Always good money to be made on a pandemic.

Rubbish!  Are you referring to the same Oz politicians that have kept the Covid 19 numbers to near zero while others suffer massive numbers of deaths. Sure quarantining ALL arrivals into Oz is a nuisance for some but has kept the country virtually virus free so a small price to pay for protecting 25million.  And it's really simple, if you don't like the rules aimed at and achieving results few other counties enjoy, then bugger off we won't miss you. :evan:

• Like 2
BossHog
47 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

Sure quarantining ALL arrivals into Oz is a nuisance for some but has kept the country virtually virus free so a small price to pay for protecting 25million. 

Granted Australia has seen excellent results to date. It just makes me wonder even more why they felt the need to press ahead with that tennis tournament.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
cookie47
1 hour ago, Ozepete said:

Sure quarantining ALL arrivals into Oz is a nuisance for some but has kept the country virtually virus free so a small price to pay 

Correct,, and I'm told by friends in Western Australia that day to day Life is pretty much as normal in terms of movement restrictions.Masks are only mandatory at an Airport, Aircraft,Taxi, Obviously social distancing is still encouraged.....

• Like 3
Ozepete
3 hours ago, BossHog said:

Granted Australia has seen excellent results to date. It just makes me wonder even more why they felt the need to press ahead with that tennis tournament.

They were all subject to the same conditions of entry that all entrants have had applied... 14 days quarantine and testing. 

• Like 2
Peabody Strange

QUARANTINE UPDATE:

Just been informed someone on the plane has tested positive for covid.  They won't tell me where he was seated of course - that's classified!  So they gonna call me every day to see if I start getting any symptoms.  I'm not in the least bothered about the virus.  I don't consider it any more dangerous than a bad cold (for anyone under 80).  What does concern me is if I catch it, I'm sure my incarceration will be extended.  Grrrrrrr.

They tested everyone a couple of days ago (I was negative) and we gonna get tested again next week. It's a bloody unpleasant test!  They have this stick they shove about a yard up ya nose.  Or at least that's how far it feels like.  I'm really not sure if the test isn't worse than the disease itself.

• Like 2

And the only thing you can do when testing is to smile and say "Thank you very much". Otherwise they do it harder.

In my hope to give you a little entertainment, I will tell you a true story from about one year ago.

My sister in law, (let us call her) Eliza, decided to go Taiwan for earning more money than she did at the call senter in Cebu. Her boyfriend and son, 1 year old, had to stay back home. An agency  sold her the trip and Eliza could pay monthly, a total of some 100k pesos - or pay deposit in advance some 60k.

Clever in mathematics as most Philippinas, she found out that she will be saving 40k by paying straight. Her only problem was that she had no money. No problem, she borrowed from my asawa, payed and vent to Manila, waiting for the flight to Taiwan. Do you think you guess the rest of story? 

Yes she was stuck in Manila when Corona closed the travel. But that is not end of story.

Eliza was sitting in a boarding house in Manila for 8.5 months, some 35 weeks, waiting for her clearance to go Taiwan. What options did Eliza have? Try to get the deposit back? Forget it. Nobody returns money in the Philippines. Eliza was trapped. Locked up.

After 25 weeks the agency was allowed to send 10 persons to Taiwan. Testing on arrival showed that one was positive. New stop and waiting for som new weeks in the boarding house.

Eliza arrived Taiwan just before X-mas 2020....... End of this story - for the very patient reader.

• Like 1