aabel

Some westerns , like me, came to PH thinking and meaning that "we know better". In most ways we are wrong. But not all the way - always. 

I took over 2 condominiums with some 250 sqm terrace on second floor with  some 7-8 floors  above my head. Ah, not only my head. My family's head, my guests head, my dogs head. It was a danger sone for everybody outside. Tennants above throw everything and anything towards our heads. I can mention: Beer Cans, Cigarettes', Napkins  .. you name it. One day my asawa was sitting by a table, an iPhone from upper floors missed her head with some 50 cms.

So I decided to build it my way. But, how to do. My terrasse was around a corner, 30 to 40 meters long and 4 to 19 meters brood out of the building. I did not want to use wood for the termitts, not steel for the rust.  So, What did I do

MY WAY.

i come back later with photos....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
aabel

image.thumb.png.1a504b4bc739641b9586c217b9e9f165.png

The shoe to be bolted to the floor after concreted to the tube/column

image.png.21f421d46b48bcd27041c598479c0860.png

The shoe fixed to the 125 mm PVC tube reinforced with 4 x12 mm steel and filled with concrete

Note the temporary support to keep it stable when raised

image.png.bb59e607446ca44ea81d2df392f65110.png

The "knee" between column and beam.

image.png.d04cc61782969a584ed88d1d19c97dda.png

Some of the construction mounted from wall to fence

image.png.9fc948717150cb0e07457a5d610f6531.png

Mounting "layers" for the roof

image.png.2b17cb8cf4c75dc6e0b8d9f29baf50f9.png

Layers I made of 25 mm stainless steel pipes inside 1" PE/PEH tube, painted. Has to be supported.

image.png.47336b69b206ef8fb81a5017f117feab.png

Roof is fixed. This is outside the condo I rent out. Sliding door to living room to the left and to masters bedroom to the right.

Roof plates of galvanized and painted steel fixed to the layers with clamps and screws. A fleksibel and strong construction giving shadow to the walls and windows all the way around mine condos. Next to no need for running aircon as wind goes through the screen doors.

No termites and very little rust.

So it demands very little maintenance. I would have used stainless screws and clamps, but hard to find. I gave up to get that.

It is very nice to sit outside even when raining. 

The best of all is the protection for things falling from upper floors balcony'. An Iphone from 7th floor missed my wifes head with less than one meter. And the previous owner had a drunk korean falling from 3rd floor. The Korean hit a table or something and survived.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
fred42
7 minutes ago, aabel said:

image.thumb.png.1a504b4bc739641b9586c217b9e9f165.png

The shoe to be bolted to the floor after concreted to the tube/column

image.png.21f421d46b48bcd27041c598479c0860.png

The shoe fixed to the 125 mm PVC tube reinforced with 4 x12 mm steel and filled with concrete

Note the temporary support to keep it stable when raised

image.png.bb59e607446ca44ea81d2df392f65110.png

The "knee" between column and beam.

image.png.d04cc61782969a584ed88d1d19c97dda.png

Some of the construction mounted from wall to fence

image.png.9fc948717150cb0e07457a5d610f6531.png

Mounting "layers" for the roof

image.png.2b17cb8cf4c75dc6e0b8d9f29baf50f9.png

Layers I made of 25 mm stainless steel pipes inside 1" PE/PEH tube, painted. Has to be supported.

image.png.47336b69b206ef8fb81a5017f117feab.png

Roof is fixed. This is outside the condo I rent out. Sliding door to living room to the left and to masters bedroom to the right.

Roof plates of galvanized and painted steel fixed to the layers with clamps and screws. A fleksibel and strong construction giving shadow to the walls and windows all the way around mine condos. Next to no need for running aircon as wind goes through the screen doors.

No termites and very little rust.

So it demands very little maintenance. I would have used stainless screws and clamps, but hard to find. I gave up to get that.

It is very nice to sit outside even when raining. 

The best of all is the protection for things falling from upper floors balcony'. An Iphone from 7th floor missed my wifes head with less than one meter. And the previous owner had a drunk korean falling from 3rd floor. The Korean hit a table or something and survived.

Good idea!! I like it when people think out of the box. We have used 4"waste pipe for permanent concrete rebar reinforced forms in the past..Works good!
We are constructing a building right now here..No hollow blocks and zero timber frame..
Also zero roof insulation. 
More pics please as you progress!

• Like 1
Goetz1965

Hope that iPhone was still usable and you sold it at a good price! Hehe

aabel

Hehe, Yes the iPhone had a kind of soft landing crashing at my plastic table and was in full function after. It showed to be a student from the Russian language school, Genesis. The young Russian lady was living  on 7th floor and she was crying when she got it back. I had no heart to claim her to pay for the table she destroyed. 

HongKongPhooey
On 1/8/2021 at 10:20 AM, fred42 said:

We have used 4"waste pipe for permanent concrete rebar reinforced forms in the past..Works good!
We are constructing a building right now here..No hollow blocks and zero timber frame..
Also zero roof insulation. 
More pics please as you progress!

I would love to see what you are doing or reference/tutorial that you used as a guide to doing it.

fred42
Just now, HongKongPhooey said:

I would love to see what you are doing or reference/tutorial that you used as a guide to doing it.

I might have a few pics hanging around of the general process somewhere..I`ll have a look a bit later for ya!

• Thanks 2

My guidance is mainly own experiences and eliminations of what NOT to do.

When I took over the 426 sqm condos early 2013, the first thing to do was to refurbish all the technical installations; water and electricity. All new because when building som 15 years earlier waterpipes was G/A, all rusted and leaking: All new solid plastic. Same with electricity: All new.

So to the building construction. It is a mortal sin to close wood with concrete. Wood needs inspection and dry environments. Otherwise the wood will rotten. And furthermore, the teremites will eat it.

image.png.9fd20007684c14c428a8d357f64e61a9.png

Floor eaten by the termites

image.png.68ebf93462c332e1fb223daeddde0156.png

Some 100 sqm wooden floor had to be chiseled away, replaced with  concrete and tiles.

image.png.19e4ad80a871bb637536b87e396ddfb0.png

Termites all over eating. This is a connection box for telephone. All open space has to be gassed.

So, in a construction, do not use wood or materials that can be taken by termites. And steel is rusting.

Therefore I ended up with 125 mm PVC tubes filled with concrete and 4x12 mm rebars as a solid strong construction. Weight: 50 kgs/meter, so it is rather heavy and stable in the wind. Some of the beams are long (some 12 meters) so I reinforced them with steel U-bars outside, but rust is easy to control and they are easy to change if necessary.

For reinforcing the joints, I used Band-It bought and send from Manilla.

The terrasse is facing North West and some 70 meters from the beach so it can be rather windy. Ocean strict on. Additional the terrasse is in a passage between two towers so the air flow is increasing (carburetor effect) in my roofing area. The roof has been now lasting for approx. 6 years. If it stands in the eye of a Yolanda, who knows. The roof is open in all ends so I think it can, may be have a chanse.

• Like 1