Late 2013 Disasters - Bohol 7.2 Quake And Super Typhon Yolanda

aabel

EARTHQUAKE 7,4 came to us without warning Oct. 15. 2013. Ok, it hit us in Mactan very early morning.

I was heavy sleeping in bed. Asawa at side and the dog "Snoopy" under the bed.

Snoopy reacted first, raising up and scrubbing his back under my bed. Asawa alarmed me and we went to the sliding door to the terrasse. Our building EGI Tower 1 is solid so when the shaking stopped, I went to bed again. The center was Bohol some 60 kms away and there was the most heavy damages. But also in Cebu was a lot cracked down.

HAIYAN/YOLANDA, the super taifun came to us just some weeks later. In November. But is was strongly warned some 4 - 5 days in advance. People following media knew that "THIS WILL BE STRONG". 

It happened to be that a group of Norwegian authorities had a meeting with Norwegians and Norwegians related at "Magellans Landing" in Mactan. Embassy, Foreign Office etc. gave information, answered questions, bla bla bla. serious. Very friendly, questions answered, connections made. It was a Wednesday.

My friend, my classmate for more than 50 years, rose up, politely said thank you. "Excuse me I do have to go home and tape my windows". He was living at 11th floor by Marco Polo.

The longer story has to be continued. If someone want me to continue....

rfm010
15 hours ago, aabel said:

If someone want me to continue....

Go for it.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
5 hours ago, aabel said:

EARTHQUAKE 7,4 came to us without warning Oct. 15. 2013. Ok, it hit us in Mactan very early morning.

I was heavy sleeping in bed. Asawa at side and the dog "Snoopy" under the bed.

Snoopy reacted first, raising up and scrubbing his back under my bed. Asawa alarmed me and we went to the sliding door to the terrasse. Our building EGI Tower 1 is solid so when the shaking stopped, I went to bed again. The center was Bohol some 60 kms away and there was the most heavy damages. But also in Cebu was a lot cracked down.

HAIYAN/YOULANDA, the super taifun came to us just some weeks later. In November. But is was strongly warned some 4 - 5 days in advance. People following media knew that "THIS WILL BE STRONG". 

It happened to be that a group of Norwegian authorities had a meeting with Norwegians and Norwegians related at "Magellans Landing" in Mactan. Embassy, Foreign Office etc. gave information, answered questions, bla bla bla. serious. Very friendly, questions answered, connections made. It was a Wednesday.

My friend, my classmate for more than 50 years, rose up, politely said thank you. "Excuse me I do have to go home and tape my windows". He was living at 11th floor by Marco Polo.

The longer story has to be continued. If someone want me to continue....

Delete

Edited by Davaoeno
to_dave007

Weathered the Bohol earthquake in the ground floor cafe at Sarosa hotel in Cebu City..  while helping an elderly PhilAm couple out of the hotel..  with absolutely NOTHING in my head except the thought that "SHIT.. there is 10 floors of Philippines concrete over my head".

Weathered Yolanda about 80 meters from the sea in Tuburan..  half in the open..  protected by just 2 strong walls.. one facing the sea in the west..  and one to the south..  with the other two sides wide open to the weather., but downwind for the entire event.  

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

• Like 1
arentol

I always remember when Yolanda was approaching, I was trying to find out details on the local news.

With Yolanda just an hour away from landfall, every news channel was either talking about the pork barrel scandal or celebrities (eg Chikka minute). 

Aren

• Like 2
liquido

I was living in Tagbilaran in a 3 story apartment at the time on the 3rd floor when the quake hit..The aircon almost fell out of the wall and my frig opened and items were falling out on the floor.The building was a  concrete structure but I was able to fly down the stairs and get out.The building held up quite well..We all were standing on the street and then someone started talking Tsunami with us being about 4 blocks from the ocean, of course did not happen.Needless to say say no one decided to go back in the building after hearing talk about a Tsunami .We later found out the epicenter was inland close to Sagbayan..Many after shocks and no water/electricity for quite awhile after.No fun being in a 3rd world country during a disaster like that. 

• Like 2
fred42

Watched my Tilapia Pond almost empty after the water was shook out..Never lost a single fish. Those Tilapia have skills.
Amazing.

• Like 3
aabel

Interesting to hear your experiences. It was a hard time for many, specially in the Tacloban area, but also in northern Cebu and Camotes. It is just a few kms sea between. But the difference in death toll was enormous, some 6,500 in Ormoc area and 1 person only on  Camotes. He was said to have an heart attac in Pilar.

On Yolanda + day two, my wife could not wait any longer. Early morning she traveled to her family in Poro Camotes. They lost all connections and electricity. Here is som of what she met.

image.png.b7a40e2990ffb589d2d11b54170e25af.png

The quay in Consuelo broken down.

image.png.eff4571d125ddb642cc9a5eeec6fce27.png

Electric post down. Electricity out for 4 months.

image.png.6c6fd29bfb1a8fa85a313cbd45342ff4.png

Houses away.

They told us that some councilors went to the people living by the sea and told them to evacuate - and that saved many lives. Later on we filled up our car 4 times and went to Camotes with relief goods. But that is an other story...

aabel

The last of the 4 trips to Camotes a friend of mine an I loaded up

image.png.e0b7e235630c0c1d1bd01a5d446a2cf9.png

.. a truck (the blue to the right), my friends Innova, my Fuzion and the green multicab and took them to San Francisco Camotes.

image.png.351e5256c2e06a5772902f688180068b.png

We also brought 1 doctor and 22 nurses, borrowed a mansion house in Camotes. And

image.png.d193ec039392fe223a38ba6daf2c9cc1.png

image.png.fcd5e391668b8f4eac59e5f6786a548c.png

Organized selections and consultations, firs by the nurses and then by the two doctors you can see here.

image.png.f5412271b9b3bb5e68ce7ac04d0469cf.png

Medicine for our free pharmacy we got donored from an Air Base.

Additional we delivered rice, nails, sardins, nudels and also I send

image.png.cdc106113945f4a96857fe5ab9105ebd.png

..a generator so the village could charge their cellphones. The village had fixed charging hours: 6 - 9 PM and each payed 5 peso to cover gasoline. The picture is from my 48 hours test on my terrasse before sending from Mactan.

Four months it took before the electric network was working again - as long as they had diesel for the power plant.......

• Like 1