Leg cramps at night

lamoe

Searched - didn't see this as a topic. Started to expedience severe leg cramps at night - inner thigh the worst

Went online - one remedy was to increase salt intake. Tata uses almost no salt and we don't eat many processed foods so my intake was low. Started eating a large salad at dinner or putting extra salt on the initial portion of a meat / pasta dish.

If I don't, can expect cramps around 1 am.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Irenicus

• HeyMike

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I tried this. I pinched the area between my anus and OUCH! And I'm not putting that finger under my lip now. Maybe I did it wrong.

Increase your banana intake for the potassium. Cramps suck!  It took me years before someone told me how to stretch them out during the cramp to get rid of them.  Hurts but it works.

You do mean oral intake, right... 

Posted Images

KID

quinine tablets always helped me out with the SEVERE leg cramps experienced when the painting company was in full swing

kaloy

I use pickle juice for leg cramps.  Thank God not very often.

• Like 1
Daddle

Beer causes mine. Sadly. And any piss in the tank. Which rather go hand-in-hand. Taking a piss, even if not obvious, and if I can stand up, clears the cramp immediately.

Doofer

Use to get them all the time. Found out it was the fan blowing directly at my legs at night while sleeping. Now it's placed so it doesn't blow on me directly. Also sodium and magnesium helps.

• Like 1
Irenicus

Increase your banana intake for the potassium.

Cramps suck!  It took me years before someone told me how to stretch them out during the cramp to get rid of them.  Hurts but it works.

• Like 5
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
55 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

You do mean oral intake, right... :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
lamoe
1 hour ago, Irenicus said:

Cramps suck!  It took me years before someone told me how to stretch them out during the cramp to get rid of them.  Hurts but it works.

2 every morning - 3 if the smaller type

• Like 1
Fresh
5 hours ago, Daddle said:

Beer causes mine.

It's from the dehydration caused by the alcohol. Not coincidentally, salt or potassium (also a salt) retain water and are solutions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
rizla

I suffer from foot cramps, was told by the Dr salt works but as I have HBP, unwise to take extra salt, he prescribed quinine tablets, and suggested banana every day.

• Like 2
Irenicus
10 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

You do mean oral intake, right... :P

Rectal provides faster absorption but one should never discount oral.

6 hours ago, rizla said:

I suffer from foot cramps

Foot and calf cramps SUUUUUCK.  It took me six years before someone told me to stand the feck up and stretch it out instead of staying in a blubbering ball on the floor to get it to uncramp.  What is worse is a stomach muscle cramp I had at one time.  I thought it was a heart attack...

Ah, the wonders of the aging process....

• Like 1
Semper paratus
16 hours ago, kaloy said:

I use pickle juice for leg cramps.  Thank God not very often.

Do you soak in it, rub it on, or drink it ?  Might try an enema, it might not cure it but will definitely take your mind off the cramps.

• Haha 2
lamoe
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Irenicus said:

Foot and calf cramps SUUUUUCK.  It took me six years before someone told me to stand the feck up and stretch it out instead of staying in a blubbering ball on the floor to get it to uncramp.  What is worse is a stomach muscle cramp I had at one time.  I thought it was a heart attack...

Ah, the wonders of the aging process....

If I realize hadn't eaten much salt will put 1/2 teaspoon in water and drink that.

I prefer Sea Salt - seams to have a "salter" taste so use less - grind it myself.

Sometimes not easy to get opposing muscle to stretch cramping one :killself:

"Health authorities recommend between 1,500 mg (1.5 grams) and 2,300 mg (2.3 grams) of sodium per day"

2,300 mg = 1 teaspoon - that's a lot of salt.

20210107_055756[1].jpg

Edited by lamoe
Irenicus
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

2,300 mg = 1 teaspoon - that's a lot of salt.

Yeah, but think about how much we sweat here.  

• Like 1
lamoe
33 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

Yeah, but think about how much we sweat here.  

Will sound like bragging but I don't sweat very much  - low body fat - did when I was 103Kg / 225 lbs  - now  75 / 165 - almost 30% loss after 60 years old -  a lot of excess skin - so still a 10 lb bag just less sh1t in it. :biggrin_01:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1