Duterte dangles VFA for US-made vaccine: 'No vaccine, get out'

fivestarph

fivestarph

How about this for bluster. from Rappler.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/duterte-dangles-vfa-us-made-vaccine-december-2020

Duterte dangles VFA for US-made vaccine: 'No vaccine, get out'

(UPDATED) 'No vaccine, no stay here,' says President Rodrigo Duterte, referring to the Visiting Forces Agreement, which is temporarily in effect until August 9, 2021

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte dangled the precarious Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) with the Americans and threatened the United States that if they fail to deliver COVID-19 vaccines to the country, US soldiers would be booted out.

"Kung hindi sila maka-deliver ng maski (If they fail to deliver at least) a minimum of 20 million vaccines, they better get out, no vaccine, no stay here," Duterte said in a speech on Saturday, December 26, which received soft applause from the room full of Cabinet secretaries.

In his usual off-script speech, Duterte was talking about how procuring vaccines was the sole accountability of his vaccine czar, retired general Carlito Galvez Jr, when he somehow got around to railing against the Americans.

"Do not believe in that shit America delivering kaagad, hindi nga niya ma-deliver sa kanilang lugar, dito pa? Itong Amerikano talaga. I've been in government, I've dealt with them many times, and that's why naging cynic na ako sa kanila," said Duterte.

(Do not believe in that shit about America being able to deliver vaccines immediately when they can't even deliver it to their own country. These Americans. I've been in government, I've dealt with them many times, and that's why I've become a cynic when it comes to them.)

"If America wants to help – deliver. Stop talking. What we need is the vaccine, not your verbose speeches," Duterte added.

Duterte had earlier sent notice in February 2020 that the Philippines would terminate the VFA, leaving the deal to last until August. But he suspended this twice – in June and then in November of this year – thus putting the decades-long military agreement back in effect until 2021.*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
CardiacKid

It's always something for nothing. Perhaps it would be better if we  provided the vaccine to those who paid for it. Call the bluff on the VFA and let the locals clean up their own mess. Can't see why we should pay for helping them combat rebel groups. 

• Like 4
BossHog
4 hours ago, CardiacKid said:

Can't see why we should pay for helping them combat rebel groups. 

The State Department is under no delusion that this a well-managed place. Guerilla and insurgent groups are of secondary or tertiary importance compared to freedom of navigation in the South China Sea in the grand scheme of things.

Strategic allies need to be kept sweet no matter their current administration. The PI will eventually get its US-made vaccine allotment no doubt. Despite their administrative cock-ups.

I reckon the major issue here is resistance of the populace to getting vaccinated. Offering Chinese or Indian-made vaccines will only exacerbate the local inferiority complex and lead to low vaccination rates well below the herd immunity threshold.

You'll eventually see US-designed vaccines here in fairly wide distribution, say within nine months or so. A more cooperative and less confrontational administration would bump up that time-frame, but that's not what we're working with.

• Like 6
Chris24

I don't pretend to know anything at all about the macro, but as for the micro, my sister-in-law who lives with us got the Pfizer vaccine on Sunday, she is a Filipina nurse working in Phoenix hospital that has covid units, although she does not work in one herself.  So here is one firsthand testimony that the vaccine is indeed being distributed right now to "normal" people, with front line healthcare workers as the first priority. 

Edited by Chris24
  • Like 3

Lacson said in a statement that it is "unfortunate" that Duterte threatened the US with ending the PH-US Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) if Washington fails to ensure the supply of at least 20 million vaccine doses to the Philippines.
"Such a pronouncement from the President is at the very least, unfortunate. I think there could be a more diplomatic or at least a better way of asking a longtime ally to help us avail of the vaccines for our people without sounding like we are blackmailing our way into it," Lacson said.
https://www.rappler.com/nation/lacson-says-duterte-no-vaccines-no-vfa-remark-unfortunate

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

The US should send 100 million doses to the Philippines...from China

• Haha 5

Astra zeneca may make the whole discussion moot.  Hearing good things, havent looked at details.  

Until then wear your damn mask.

• Haha 1
CardiacKid
On 12/29/2020 at 6:08 PM, BossHog said:

The State Department is under no delusion that this a well-managed place. Guerilla and insurgent groups are of secondary or tertiary importance compared to freedom of navigation in the South China Sea in the grand scheme of things.

Strategic allies need to be kept sweet no matter their current administration.

My greatest objection to this is having to listen to a socially and legality challenged individual spew filth in an attempt to prove who has the biggest johnson. Yes, we need to keep the South China Sea open to all, but the greed of the leaders willing to sell anything for profit is galling. Perhaps one day there will be a reckoning, but it will be long after I am gone. Meanwhile, can someone make sure their diapers are changed and they get on the :paul:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Davaoeno
21 hours ago, CardiacKid said:

legality challenged i

???????    Short bus language?   :rofl::rofl:

Edited by Davaoeno
Rocketman

I suppose none of this is needed as well.

2020 highlights as #FriendsPartnersAllies.

Showing its commitment to the Philippines as a close friend, partner, and ally, the United States has provided Php10.1B ($209.9M) in assistance in 2020 across the bilateral relationship:

• Defense and military assistance/training

• Governance and law enforcement

• Health (including COVID-19 response assistance)

• Environment

• Education and exchanges

• Trade and economic development

image.thumb.png.2938f92379686b9b3490452ae26ff43e.png

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
wondersailor

I learned at 4 or 5 that slapping someone in the face who you want a favor from is not the way to go. Guess some people are slow learners.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
GwapoGuy
On 1/2/2021 at 5:57 PM, Rocketman said:

I suppose none of this is needed as well.

2020 highlights as #FriendsPartnersAllies.

Showing its commitment to the Philippines as a close friend, partner, and ally, the United States has provided Php10.1B ($209.9M) in assistance in 2020 across the bilateral relationship:

• Defense and military assistance/training

• Governance and law enforcement

• Health (including COVID-19 response assistance)

• Environment

• Education and exchanges

• Trade and economic development

Yes but checking the latest stimulus package that was recently passed by the US Congress, Philippines get nothing! :unknw: