PH Immigration backs use of COVID-19 passport

BossHog

There's a lot here to unpack, sort through, opine about and discuss. So have at it...

14 December 2020

PRESS RELEASE

PH Immigration backs use of COVID-19 passport

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) welcomed proposals to introduce a COVID-19 passport for international travelers, saying it will speed up immigration processing at the airports and facilitate the revival of tourism and travel industry in the country.

In a statement, BI Commissioner Jaime Morente expressed the Bureau’s support for initiatives to create a global COVID-19 passport that, according to the Department of Tourism (DOT), would usher in the entry of more tourists as it would streamline entry procedures.

Morente said current procedures requiring arriving international travelers to be tested at the airport could pose problems to the BI in the near future as the country reopens its borders to more foreigners, especially tourists.

“The anticipated influx of more international travelers could result in longer queues and overcrowding in our immigration counters as all of these passengers should be tested at the airport before they are allowed to enter the country,” the BI chief said.

He observed that with the use of a COVID-19 support evidencing that a traveller was vaccinated and is free of the virus, the conduct of immigration formalities for arriving passengers would be faster and easier and people congestion at the airports would be lessened, if not avoided.

Morente also echoed the statement of Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat that the COVID-19 passport would facilitate international travel with stringent health and safety measures in place as it will assure countries that visting tourists are vaccinated and COVID-free.

Earlier, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) disclosed it plans to launch a so-called IATA travel pass, which was described as a global and standardized solution to validate and authenticate country regulations on COVID-19 passenger travel requirements.

The IATA explained that the project aims to create a digital system that will enable passengers to verify that their test or vaccination meets existing COVID-19 travel regulations.

“The importance of this proposed COVID-19 passport cannot be underestimated when our country fully reopens its borders to all international travelers,” Morente said.

He added that he foresees travelers to again begin arriving in the country in droves by the second half of next year when the COVID-19 vaccine is seen to be available in the country.

"We are hopeful that trust and confidence in international travel will be, little by little, renewed," he stated.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
21 minutes ago, BossHog said:

the COVID-19 passport would facilitate international travel with stringent health and safety measures in place as it will assure countries that visting tourists are vaccinated and COVID-free.

In your dreams. 

• Like 1
wondersailor
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) welcomed proposals to introduce a COVID-19 passport for international travelers, saying it will speed up immigration processing at the airports and facilitate the revival of tourism and travel industry in the country

So would making the vaccines available here in a timely manner. Two million doses (2 per recipient) for a country of 110 million is just a whisper. This is all sounding like the cart before the horse situation.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

In your dreams. 

It is like they are living on another planet, but that has always been the case with the Philippines.  I would be very interested to see just how they expect tourism to recover, but then I am speaking as a westerner.  I imagine the Chinese who are the most populace of visitors due to the gambling, will already have conformed.  I would predict a falloff of tourism from other non-Asian nations.  I also predict that the RP will continue its futile efforts to contain the virus, thus continuing the rolling lockdowns that have so devastated this country.  Few tourists will want to visit a country under such restrictions, especially since the quarantine/lockdown can be ordered on a moments notice and last for many months as has been the case in the RP.  Just like the war on drugs, this will be another costly miscalculation and failure, of no surprise to anyone.

• Like 3
MarinePride

Seems like every fiefdom, kingdom, state or country is all aboard the vaccine train. I won’t be getting it and hopefully the numbers of people who do get the shot are low. Then the tyranny will be unleashed on those that don’t comply.

Vaccine is being pushed like nothing I’ve ever seen before. This is an mRNA vaccine and it’s never been approved on humans before. I wonder what is in it? It will make you a GMO.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
wondersailor

I wonder if the China and Russian vaccines would be included? Probably the China vaccine if WHO is part of the decision making process.

I also wonder how it would go over if tourists were given free and unrestricted movement but the residents had to obey quarantine rules because they had no access to the vaccines?

• Like 2

I might consider the vaccine after BI Commissioner Jaime Morente takes it and survives.  Right now I do not like anything I am hearing about covid vaccines.

• Like 3
jaybee747
4 hours ago, MarinePride said:

Seems like every fiefdom, kingdom, state or country is all aboard the vaccine train. I won’t be getting it and hopefully the numbers of people who do get the shot are low. Then the tyranny will be unleashed on those that don’t comply.

Vaccine is being pushed like nothing I’ve ever seen before. This is an mRNA vaccine and it’s never been approved on humans before. I wonder what is in it? It will make you a GMO.

They always like to mention the vaccination card that was used for yellow fever but they conveniently fail to mention that the death rate for yellow fever is 20% to 50%...

SkyMan

The harder they push the vaccine, the more frightening it becomes. And there's no way they will convince people it's safe by injecting politicians with water.  The vaccine is touted as 99% effective and yet Covid in 99% survivable so pretty much useless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
BossHog
7 hours ago, wondersailor said:

I also wonder how it would go over if tourists were given free and unrestricted movement but the residents had to obey quarantine rules

This is happening now in Turkey. Needless to say it is not going over well with most of the populace.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
11 hours ago, MarinePride said:

Seems like every fiefdom, kingdom, state or country is all aboard the vaccine train. I won’t be getting it and hopefully the numbers of people who do get the shot are low.

I will be standing in line to get the vaccine. I've lost too many friends and family to this pandemic. 

Now...what I just stated is Off Topic and my opinion! I'm banning myself from posting for the next 10 days minutes!

Lets rewind and comment on the the OPs news article or risk deleted posts and possibly more

• Thanks 3
17 hours ago, Dafey said:

I will be standing in line...

The hey you say!  Wife always arranges for our annual flu vaccine to be delivered to our home.  I will be expecting the same service for any covid vax.  As stated elsewhere by the time i get a shot at any vaccine there will have been plenty of time to evaluate its safety and efficacy.  

As far as putting together a vax passport, a potentially good idea but too many questions still to be answered about the actual vaccines.  How durable is it?  How long before the vax has become effective in the body?  To what extent can a vaccinated person pass on the virus if the vaccinatee has been exposed?  Should the "passport" have categories for vaccine type (big difference between 60% and 90+ % efficacy). 

People dont want to take the vaccine?  Fine.  Let the health insurance companies determine how they'd like to handle hospitalization coverage for those people, including future coverage for the newly created pre-existing conditions that many survivors will be carrying with them.   

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
34 minutes ago, rfm010 said:

Wife always arranges for our annual flu vaccine to be delivered to our home.

We are way down on the list for the Philippine's vaccine priority. If they don't have a vaccine in the 90 percentile for protection by May we'll head to the States and get it for free. We will need to redo our BB by then anyway.

• Like 3
Irenicus
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

we'll head to the States and get it for free.

I have a sneaking suspicion a good number of us will be going to our home countries for a vacc-ication.  

Kind of like folks who come here for a dental-ication. 

• Like 3
softail
25 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

I have a sneaking suspicion a good number of us will be going to our home countries for a vacc-ication.  

Kind of like folks who come here for a dental-ication. 

Yea, I’m waiting to return to the Philippines until the wife and I get ours. They are saying another six months or so.

• Like 1