Balikbayans May Enter PH Starting Dec. 7

SkyMan
4 hours ago, BossHog said:

If they are not traveling with the Filipino or former Filipino spouse, and are just joining him in the Philippines, then they may be allowed to enter if they secure an entry visa, but with a limited stay in the country,” he added.

So no 1 year BB Visa if not traveling with the spouse. 

And I imagine you have to somehow prove your wife is in country already. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• BossHog

• fred42

• Dafey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a whole lot to add here but this is the official press release from the BI and not a quote from a news article. I'd link to their website but it's currenty down and the following comes from the of

I guess you're not the ony one. The gov't clarified today that it's the same one-year deal.... CNN Philippines article.... Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 27) — The foreign spouses a

They always took pity on my good friend Benjie when he tried this approach. Everbody likes a Benjamin!

Posted Images

8 hours ago, SkyMan said:

That’s how I read it too. 

Davaoeno
14 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I have always understood that if you are not accompanied by your spouse you do not qualify for Balikbayan visa  (altho sometimes they will take pity on you and let you in )

• Like 5
HeyMike
1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

I have always understood that if you are not accompanied by your spouse you do not qualify for Balikbayan visa  (altho sometimes they will take pity on you and let you in )

My understanding also.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

My understanding as well. And if we are reading it correctly, they have put icing on the cake, if you can prove your spouse is in country, they'll let you in as well. As stated, that is as yet undefined...perhaps a "proof of life" photo on your phone, showing your wife in front of the local municipal building holding up her passport with that days edition of the Manila Bulletin?! :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Administrator
Dafey

I believe this stems from the fact that they first opened up to OFWs and Spouses/children when they were not allowing any others into the country. The spouses were allowed, under a tourist/13a visa, if they could prove, marriage certificate, that they were married to a citizen in country.

They are still allowed in if the spouse is in country but only on a tourist/13a visa. BB is only if both spouses are arriving together.

• Like 4
BossHog
1 hour ago, mikecon3 said:

As stated, that is as yet undefined...perhaps a "proof of life" photo on your phone, showing your wife in front of the local municipal building holding up her passport with that days edition of the Manila Bulletin?!

If you read through the comments on the BI FB page there are lots of weepy Filipinas insisting their fiancés be allowed in too in addition to married folks.

How exactly would you go about proving you're engaged?

• Like 3
BossHog
4 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

if you are not accompanied by your spouse you do not qualify for Balikbayan visa  (altho sometimes they will take pity on you and let you in )

They always took pity on my good friend Benjie when he tried this approach. Everbody likes a Benjamin!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
SkyMan
6 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Right, just highlighting this for those that might be thinking this will be better than the precovid rules.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

If a father who is a US citizen is accompanied by his children who qualify as balikbayans, could he get in the country without the wife being with them?

SkyMan
6 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

If a father who is a US citizen is accompanied by his children who qualify as balikbayans, could he get in the country without the wife being with them?

Probably a question best posed to the embassy.

Under precovid rules, yes.  There might be a requirement for the father to get a 9A now, though.

6 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Not according to the BB privilege rules. The US citizen is required to travel with his Filipino Spouse in order to get stamp.
I travelled in once with my 3 year old son that had dual citizenship...The woman B.I officers fell in love with my cute little son..
I requested a BB stamp and received one in an instant!!

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
44 minutes ago, fred42 said:

The woman B.I officers fell in love with my cute little son..
I requested a BB stamp and received one in an instant!!

Can I borrow your son next time I fly?

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

ADVISORY No. 31

Ref:  http://newyorkpcg.org/pcgny/2020/11/27/advisory-no-31-exemptions-from-the-temporary-suspension-of-visa-free-privileges/

Does anyone know what happens when a foreigner shows up without a pre issued visa in hand to visit his wife but his wife is not traveling with him?

This advisory states

the following shall be exempted from the temporary suspension of visa-free privileges starting 07 December 2020:

Filipino citizens’ foreign spouses and children, regardless of age, who are traveling with them; and

Former Filipino citizens, together with their foreign spouses and children, regardless of age, who are traveling with them;

The "who" in "who are traveling with them" in line two was interpreted as "children" and the "them" as "foreign spouses" when I bought my ticket.  I have been told by both the embassy here in DC and a consulate that the sentence is to be interpreted as if you are traveling with the citizen spouse.  That "regardless of age" part really muddies up the clarity of the pronouns' antecedents.  Now it is too late to get the visa before my first flight takes off and I am not sure if I cancel or what.  If there is a small fine, sure I'll pay it.  If I get refused boarding the final plane, that's a problem.  As would be a holding cell situation in the Philippines.  I lack confidence in my ability to sweet talk my way through immigration, but I will have our marriage certificate on me.

Who knows what?  Reliable info only please; I need to make an expensive decision fast.

• Like 1
SkyMan

@TEugeneS

It's my understanding that if she's not with you, you need a 9A visa from an embassy and to get that you'd need some proof she's in the RP already.  My guess is you won't be allowed to board at least the last leg.

Months ago a friend flew from Florida to LA only to be denied the flight to Cebu. He'd gotten some bs info which he hadn't asked me.

• Like 2