Balikbayans May Enter PH Starting Dec. 7

BossHog

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1365467/welcome-back-filipinos-foreign-spouses-children-balikbayans-may-enter-ph-by-dec-7

MANILA, Philippines — Filipino citizens’ foreign spouses and children, along with returning Filipinos or “balikbayans,” will be allowed to enter the Philippines starting December 7, Malacañang announced Friday.

“Also permitted is the entry of former Filipino citizens, including their spouses and children, regardless of age, who are travelling with them,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a statement.

They are allowed to enter the country provided they secure a booking at a quarantine facility and have a swab test schedule at Philippine airports,  added Roque.

“They, too, must be subject to the maximum capacity of inbound passengers at the port and date of entry.”

Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) has already directed the Bureau of Immigration to formulate guidelines to ensure the said policy’s implementation.

The Department of Tourism was also directed to issue guidelines on providing accommodation to returning spouses and children of Filipinos, the Palace official added.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• BossHog

• fred42

• Dafey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a whole lot to add here but this is the official press release from the BI and not a quote from a news article. I'd link to their website but it's currenty down and the following comes from the of

I guess you're not the ony one. The gov't clarified today that it's the same one-year deal.... CNN Philippines article.... Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 27) — The foreign spouses a

They always took pity on my good friend Benjie when he tried this approach. Everbody likes a Benjamin!

Posted Images

This is great news. I, for one, was not looking forward to going through the hassle of applying at one of the consulates for a visa...and once we got to Masbate, having to deal with getting visa extensions since it was mentioned on the forum there is no BI on the island.

Do you have to secure the balikbayan before leaving your home country?

• Like 1
cvgtpc1

It was just land with your PI spouse and marriage certificate and you're good for entry.  Assume it would be the same?  But have never been asked for the marriage certificate.

• Like 2
to_dave007

One problem.. IMHO..  is that the airline staff that check you in overseas may NOT be aware of this change.  Face it..  they have had to deal with a muddy situation of who should be permitted on a flight and who shouldn't.  If it were me (married to Filipina but still on balikbayan or tourist visa when i enter) I would likely secure a visa in Canada before trying to enter..  even if i know it's not needed..  just so that I can be sure to board the aircraft.

It's good news..  to be sure.. but I'm not planning to go back to Canada until mid 2021..   and when I do I'll want to make damn sure I'll be permitted to board the aircraft for the flight back. 

• Like 3
SkyMan

I'm reading this and not seeing the rebirth of the 1yr BB visa. Just the allowance of BBs into the country, perhaps without first acquiring a visa beforehand. 

• Like 2
to_dave007
29 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I'm reading this and not seeing the rebirth of the 1yr BB visa. Just the allowance of BBs into the country, perhaps without first acquiring a visa beforehand. 

The old rule book..  which took years to write..  got torn up and lost.  New rule book required.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Unfortunately, it seems the IATF doesn’t do subtle nuances. The BI press release writer is probably scratching their head while muttering “but they’re already permitted...”

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I have never seen any evidence that a BB stamp is a "visa" at all.
As far as Im concerned it is a one year visa free privilege for former Filipinos and their immediate family, spouse etc. Request on arrival.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
31 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Unfortunately, it seems the IATF doesn’t do subtle nuances. The BI press release writer is probably scratching their head while muttering “but they’re already permitted...”

But now it's without prearranged visa....    

FB_IMG_1606521201035.jpg

Actually, former Filipinos were excluded before but now allowed again.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
49 minutes ago, fred42 said:

I have never seen any evidence that a BB stamp is a "visa" at all.
As far as Im concerned it is a one year visa free privilege for former Filipinos and their immediate family, spouse etc. Request on arrival.

Stamp in your passport that allows you in country = visa. How is it not?

The term visa free means you can get on the plane to come. On arrival they stamp a 1 year visa in your passport. 

22 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

But now it's without prearranged visa....    

FB_IMG_1606521201035.jpg

Actually, former Filipinos were excluded before but now allowed again.

I would say that’s good news for those who use the Balikbayan program - assuming the Commissioner of Immigration agrees...

• Administrator
Dafey

Awesome! Who's the first one of us to try it out?

4 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

have never been asked for the marriage certificate.

We were asked the first time then after they saw the previous stamp and just allowed it without digging deeper

4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

One problem.. IMHO..  is that the airline staff

They would always require a RT ticket when BB did not need one so, yes, they could be the wrench in the gears.

39 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Stamp in your passport that allows you in country = visa. How is it not?

The term visa free means you can get on the plane to come. On arrival they stamp a 1 year visa in your passport. 

A visa (from the Latin charta visa, meaning "paper that has been seen") is a conditional authorization granted by a territory to a foreigner, allowing them to enter, remain within, or to leave that territory. 

Natural born Filipino`s that have lost their citizenship by gaining another  are not considered as foreigners here.
As such they are entitled to a one year Balikbayan stamp on entry.
A BB stamp cannot be applied for at any B.I office either here in the R.P or at any R.P embassy abroad.
Natural born Filipinos  without R.P citizenship can also have restricted land ownership Privilege's.

BossHog
11 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I guess you're not the ony one. The gov't clarified today that it's the same one-year deal....

CNN Philippines article....

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 27) — The foreign spouses and children of Filipino citizens will be allowed to travel to the Philippines with conditions starting December 7, as the government slowly relaxes travel restrictions amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases on Friday said former Filipino citizens and their families can also enter the country, removing the age restrictions on children allowed to travel inbound.

The Bureau of Immigration clarified Saturday that the non-Filipino spouses and children should enter the Philippines with the balikbayans to qualify for the visa-free stay privilege for one year.

“They should be traveling with the Filipino or the former Filipino and they get the one-year balikbayan privilege,” Immigration spokesperson Dana Sandoval said in a briefing.

“Our recommendation is that they queue together pagdaan po nila sa (going to the) immigration booth for easier reference,” she added.

Edited by BossHog
  • Thanks 7