Your DoD ID Can Shorten Your Wait at the Airport

Chris24

U.S. military service members/retirees get free TSA Known Traveler/TSA pre-check using your DoD ID#

I just discovered this and thought I'd share.

Did you know that your DoD identification number works as your known traveler number, or KTN, for all of your travel, both personal and official? Enter the 10 digit number, located on the back of your common access card (CAC), into the KTN field when you make flight reservations to receive TSA Pre-Check benefits.  If the number is not on your CAC, you can get the number on MilConnect.

As a military retiree I don't have a CAC, but we all have a 10-digit DoD ID whether we know it or not.  I was able to find mine by reclaiming my DS login on the MilConnect web site here:  https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/

Apparently if you use your 10-digit DoD ID in lieu of your KTN when making a domestic airline reservation, that number is already in TSA's system and qualifies you for pre-check, free of charge, as well as any dependents age 12 or under traveling with you.   Age 13 or over and your pre-check doesn't extend to them. (The TSA site says 17 or under with a KTN but the milconnect site says 12 or under for the DoD number, not sure which, if either, is accurate).

That means you can leave your shoes, belt, and light jacket on through the screening process, and leave your laptop and liquids in your bag. It helps you get through the line more efficiently, so your screening process is more predictable and less stressful.

Who knew? (Ok I'm sure some of you knew this already but this is new to me, despite having had a DoD number since before TSA even existed).

Here is one source: 

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2016/06/01/your-dod-id-can-shorten-your-wait-airport

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I didn't see any mention of retirees in the linked article. 

Soupeod

Yes, works exactly as Chris said! I used mine on my flight from Wa to the PI in 2018 and walk in through Pre-approved TSA as a retiree.  

A side note - I got a new ID card without my SSAN number and with my DoD ID number as well.  

So it could potentially apply to spouses and children with ID cards too.

• Thanks 1
Chris24
16 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I didn't see any mention of retirees in the linked article. 

Ahh.  I think you may be right.  Upon further googling lots of sources say that since military retirees are not required to undergo periodic reinvestigations, they are not eligible for TSA PreCheck under TSA’s partnership with the Department of Defense.

But this source (and Soupeod's experience) say it's worth trying. https://themilitarywallet.com/tsa-precheck-military-members-veterans/

Excerpt:  "What about military retirees? I have heard different reports from veterans that they were able to get the TSA PreCheck as a retiree, while others were not able to do so. If you are a retiree, you should have a DoD ID number (this will be located in your MilConnect account, or on a CAC ID Card). Use the DoD ID number as your Known Traveler Number when purchasing airline tickets. I cannot guarantee it will work, but it is worth trying. "

Edit:  I've also been holding off on getting new ID cards until my local facility has the new ones in stock, not for this but because of not wanting my SSN on an ID card. 

Edited by Chris24
  • Thanks 1
Soupeod

Chris, I was a Gov contractor too, so my stuff was up to date ( you know what I mean ). This could be the reason for some folks.

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

My ID cards haven't had a social security number on them in years. My current ID Card that was issued in 2016 is good indefinitely.

I was going to say I havn't been on a plane since leaving the Philippines in 2014, so it's not a big deal for me.

Oops, I forgot that I flew to Seattle to board a cruise ship and then returned from Anchorage.

I've never had to wait a long time to go through TSA. My wife would probably feel more comfortable if we stayed together during check-in.

I'll enter my DOD ID Number the next time I do fly, just to see if it's accepted. 

• Like 1
Chris24
6 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Chris, I was a Gov contractor too, so my stuff was up to date ( you know what I mean ). This could be the reason for some folks.

That makes sense. 

Chris24
5 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I'll enter my DOD ID Number the next time I do fly, just to see if it's accepted.

Yep, me too, just to try it.  Not sure when that'll be, am tentatively planning to fly domestically (U.S.) in June but probably not before that.  I'm too cheap to pay for pre-check status as I just don't see the value there and, frankly I see it as a bit of a shake-down.

38 minutes ago, Chris24 said:

I'm too cheap to pay for pre-check status as I just don't see the value there and, frankly I see it as a bit of a shake-down.

My wife had friends that told her Global Entry was the way to go. Like you, I don't think we travel enough to make it cost effective. But since my wife said so, we went ahead and signed up. After signing up, an interview is required. Unfortunately, Dulles wasn't on the list at the time where you could do the interview when your landed. Tried to make an appointment in Charlotte to do it because it was the closest to the house, but nothing available until AFTER we flew back to Saudi. So ended up losing the $100 each as it is nonrefundable. The worst part of all is I heard the interview is basically checking to make sure you ID matches. Of course, now they do the interviews at Dulles!

• 2 weeks later...
Soupeod

Another source:

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/news.cfm?ID=18

TSA Precheck Program For DoD Personnel

TSA Precheck is a voluntary, expedited security screening process offered at over 180 domestic airports that allows participants to keep on their shoes, belt, and light jacket, and leave laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in their carry-on bags. The program is open at no cost to DoD civilians and Service members (including Reservists, National Guardsmen, members of the Coast Guard, and students at the U.S. Military Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, and the U.S. Air Force Academy).

In order to use dedicated TSA Precheck security lanes, participants must enter their DoD ID number as the “Known Traveler Number” when making official travel or leisure airline reservations.

Action Required for Participation

To participate:

Locate your DoD ID number (10-digit number found on the back of your Common Access Card). If you do not have a DoD ID number listed on your CAC, you can locate it by logging in to MilConnect (www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect) and clicking on the “My Profile” tab.

Opt-In to the program (applies to DoD civilians only). Civilians need to log in to the MilConnect website (www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect), click on the "My Profile" tab and then select "Update and View My Profile.". Next, click on the "CIV" tab. In the Personnel Status information box, click on the "TSA Precheck Program" checkbox and scroll to the bottom of the page and click "submit". Service members already are eligible and do not need to opt in to the program.

Save your DoD ID Number in the “Known Traveler Number” field of your DTS profile. To ensure your future airline reservations automatically include your DoD ID number, save it in your profile. For instructions, see
Using DTS:  How to Enter your DoD ID Number and Update Your DTS Profile

Ensure your DoD ID Number is included when making reservations.

For official travel: If you saved your DoD ID number as part of your profile, it will automatically pre-populate. You may also participate by entering your DoD ID number in the “Known Traveler Number” field when prompted to verify your Secure Flight Information (name, DOB, gender) each time you make a reservation.If making a reservation through a Travel Management Center, provide your DoD ID number as the “Known Traveler Number” when asked to verify your Secure Flight Information.
For leisure travel: Enter your DoD ID number in the “Known Traveler Number” field when making reservations.

At the airport, look for dedicated TSA PreCheck security lanes. The program is available at over 150 domestic airports. Click here for a complete list of participating airports.

Additional Information

Eligible Service members do not need to be on official travel or in uniform to take advantage of TSA Precheck. Family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible Service member or DoD civilian can process through expedited screening as well. However, family members 13 and older must go through regular security lines or may apply for TSA Trusted Traveler program (for a fee).

Boarding passes must have TSA Precheck eligibility information embedded in the barcode when scanned on the boarding pass scanner system in order to use the TSA Precheck security lanes. Your DoD ID number does not display on the boarding pass. Please be aware that not all airlines print a TSA Precheck approved indicator on the boarding pass. However, if travelers used their DoD ID number as the “Known Traveler Number,” they may proceed to a dedicated Precheck security lane to check eligibility.

SkyMan
On 12/6/2020 at 11:49 PM, Soupeod said:

Save your DoD ID Number in the “Known Traveler Number” field of your DTS profile.

Does that mean the tickets need to purchased through DTS?

Chris24
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Does that mean the tickets need to purchased through DTS?

No - - use your DoD ID number in lieu of a Known Traveler Number on whatever site you're using to purchase tickets. (with the caveat that it's unclear whether this consistently extends to pure military retirees vs. prior military/current DoD contractors who still have their security clearances/background checks up to date) 

• Like 1
SkyMan
54 minutes ago, Chris24 said:

No - - use your DoD ID number in lieu of a Known Traveler Number on whatever site you're using to purchase tickets. (with the caveat that it's unclear whether this consistently extends to pure military retirees vs. prior military/current DoD contractors who still have their security clearances/background checks up to date) 

Hmmmmm looks like it'll take pretty much any 10 digit number so let's see what happens.  I'll just boldly walk through the Known Traveler line like I own the place and see....

Chris24
8 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Hmmmmm looks like it'll take pretty much any 10 digit number so let's see what happens.  I'll just boldly walk through the Known Traveler line like I own the place and see....

Probably the approach with the highest chance of success.  And Plan B could be to snap on a blue rubber glove before those TSA   ******** do to show them you really mean business.......

Plan C being to show your boarding pass and play dumb...... (knowing that you're flying somewhere where life is far better than anything they've experienced)

• Like 1