Nonstick Rice Cookers

MJones

I bought a non stick rice cooker here. The rice sticks on the bottom and tough to get off. Almost useless. Is Teflon much better? More expensive to buy? I feel like trashing this piece of .............

My wife swears by Zojirushi. There's a coating on the pot, but I'm not sure if it's Teflon or not. They run anywhere from affordable to an arm and a leg! Recently bought a Geepas brand, out of Dubai, the jury is still out on that one but we have had good luck with their other products. I'm not sure if either are available there, but might be on Lazada or Shopee.

jaybee747
1 hour ago, MJones said:

I bought a non stick rice cooker here. The rice sticks on the bottom and tough to get off. Almost useless. Is Teflon much better? More expensive to buy? I feel like trashing this piece of .............

We had the same problem with our rice cooker so in one of my trips to the US I brought this one, it is AC220, it is expensive but worth every penny, it is teflon coated.

1986854829_71hcqPuqauL._CR020412241224_UX175.jpg.9135ab694c48147f95f123d229e22e52.jpg1871447792_71NgRUOWHL._CR020412241224_UX175.jpg.118f5f9b46c21a6d3d1699bed4a1b1bf.jpg

to_dave007
1 hour ago, MJones said:

When you cook the rice.. put a little more water..  if they say 1 cup..  put maybe 20% more..  then let it sit for 20 minutes or so after it switches to warm mode.  That seems to resolve the issue most times for me. Ad if you DO get a baked on batch..  just soak for an hour before you try to clean the pot.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Tried a cooker, but wife prefers cooking rice in a regular pot on the stove. Works just fine… 

• Like 2
to_dave007
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Tried a cooker, but wife prefers cooking rice in a regular pot on the stove. Works just fine… 

My second wife was Taiwanese..  just got in the habit back in those days.

My rice cooker is 5'4" tall and has long black hair. It's been two and a half years and still works great. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, Edwin said:

My rice cooker is 5'4"

But does the rice stick to the bottom?

• Haha 5
cookie47

Well,we got the most basic rice cooker you can buy from SM .

No fancy coating, just plain Aluminium/aluminum 🙃... I do the washing up regularly and I can assure you no sticking ,Maybe some discoloration.. .BUT my wife does exactly as DAV007.....Add a little more water (you know the finger tip method).Then wait with the cooker on keep warm for a while... BTW we use 50/50 brown, White rice....

• Like 1
BossHog
21 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

My wife swears by Zojirushi. There's a coating on the pot, but I'm not sure if it's Teflon or not. They run anywhere from affordable to an arm and a leg!

She's not wrong. Zojirushi make excellent rice cookers. If you're looking for quality though with a really good non-stick coating you gotta find a Made in Japan model. Zojirushi also makes rice cookers in China for the Southeast Asia market but they are not the same quality as those for the domestic (Japanese) market.

However they do get pricey: you can drop well north of seven hundred bucks for a top-of-the-line ten-cup Japan made induction rice cooker and they got more functions and complicated buttons than a Japanese bidet!

nb: The voltage in Japan is 100V so you'd also need a converter or transformer.

My wife got spoiled with her fancy-ass rice cookers when we lived in Korea (where they can run over a thousand bucks!) but now she's back to using a pot in the Philippines, lol.

21 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

There's a coating on the pot, but I'm not sure if it's Teflon or not.

Most Zojirushi rice cookers have a PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) coating. Teflon is a brand name of PTFE. The induction models use a platinum infused nonstick coating,

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zojirushi (Elephant mark) cookers are excellent. Then again Japanese eat a different kind of rice that is not going to mess up your pan.  Not the concrete like crap they eat here.

We sometimes use a regular pan to brown and crisp the rice for Bibimbap.

Edited by hyaku
  • 3 weeks later...

Why do any of u need rice cookers?

I know everyone around me in Taiwan used rice cookers, but here I cook long Indian rice in a cheap porcelain bowl in microwave and it produces the same good result as in restaurants every time, as a result I eat exclusively Indian rice now.

Short rice never worked though, all glued and wet.

• Like 1
Soupeod

My Asawa ko rice cooker works great and I usually buy Thai Jasmin rice. 😉

• Like 1