Whats the latest from JCenter Immigration Office?

samatm

I'm probably 7 months overdue on my visa extension ... What should I expect when i visit the The Immigration office JCenter Mall.   Are they waiving penalties for renewal extensions?    Is the office keeping regular hours?    Has anyone been there recently?      Thanks for the heads up if anyone is in the know? 

Soupeod
1 hour ago, samatm said:

I'm probably 7 months overdue on my visa extension ... What should I expect when i visit the The Immigration office JCenter Mall.   Are they waiving penalties for renewal extensions?    Is the office keeping regular hours?    Has anyone been there recently?      Thanks for the heads up if anyone is in the know? 

They might put you in jail and blacklist you.

to_dave007
1 hour ago, samatm said:

Q - I'm probably 7 months overdue on my visa extension ... What should I expect when i visit the The Immigration office JCenter Mall.

A -  You are late.  You should have been to immigration already.  You won't get any sympathy, but they'll likely process you normally.  I DOUBT (just my opinion) they'll put you in jail and blacklist you, but the longer you leave it the worse it gets.  My recommendation..  get in there and get it done.  Geez..  I see you are located in Lapu2x..  how can you justify NOT having gone already.

Q - Are they waiving penalties for renewal extensions?

A - They DID waive fines and penalties for a while, but that time is long past.  You will be expected to pay all fines and penalties.

Q - Is the office keeping regular hours?

A - Yes.  JMall itself doesn't open until 11am I believe, but the Immigration office is open at normal time.

Q - Has anyone been there recently?

A - Obtained 3 month extension (at JMall) in July 2020 and 6 month extension (in Lapu2x office) in September 2020.  My visa now expires March 2021.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
cookie47

Hi,  Dav007 has covered your question very well ,Just thought I would add my experience...... Although I didn't attend personally, Got driver.....

My Balakbayan Expired May 5..

Got driver with power of attorney to attend July 28...(Jmall). Apparently fines were going to be introduced July 31st .  ??..

Paid arrears 3 months.(or thereabouts). THEN .. another 3 months.... This brought me up to November 5th which included search fees and other small fees AND insisted I have an ACR I  card,, ok,,,,which arrived in September...(another fee)

Total at this point P14000 including P1000 POA fee..

November 3rd, Driver with power of attorney attended again and I was issued 6 months no problem...

There was a question on the forum about Jmall not giving 6 months Visa's.....This was NOT my experience. ,NOTE ..I am a senior...

• Like 2
cookie47

Re: my last post...

I didn't make it clear that the new Visa was changed to "Tourist". (Just in case someone may of thought my Balakbayan was extended)...

to_dave007
4 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Re: my last post...

I didn't make it clear that the new Visa was changed to "Tourist". (Just in case someone may of thought my Balakbayan was extended)...

same with me.

lamoe

Chances are much better at Mactan office of not getting  the fine and getting 6 months not 2 or 3 than at J-Mall

At J-Mall got nicked for 3,000P fine and visa only good for 2 weeks before needing renewal

• Like 1
SkyMan

If I were you I'd go to the Mactan BI and try to take care of it myself. I would doubt you'd pay more than at JMall and probably less.  If they can't handle it I'd pay an agent rather than go to JMall myself. 

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz
26 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I'd pay an agent rather than go to JMall myself. 

Good advice.  Check with a local travel agent as they usually handle visa extensions.  JMall has gotten too unpredictable and arbitrary and once either one of the two roaming lurking shark "agents" sniff that you are overdue they could very easily make things very hard on you...unless you pay up good.   

If you absolutely have to go yourself, don't go early to get in and out fast, go when the place has filled up so these two roaming sharks have a hard time matching you to the sign in book.  That's how they single out their prey.   

• Thanks 1
cookie47
24 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

Check with a local travel agent as they usually handle visa extensions

Absolutely.Ive never had to deal with the BI prior to my current situation. Been a Balakbayan visitor for 35 year's..

The "driver" quoted in my post is a neighbor who "normally"would be Working as a Tourist Vehicle operator.(attached/contracted ? to a Travel agency)...Which is closed due to Covide...

His work load had been cut to shreds due to Covide so I'm so happy to pay him to attend the BI and help him support his family.

• Like 2
Sibonga Simon

I am currently in the situation of having overstayed - 6 months or so.

I went to JMall, and while it took me the best part of a day to mainly wait- I did get the process sorted - without being gouged.  I paid the back dues and then had to wait for Reena (the only person at JMall who can handle the long overstays) to prepare a petition to send off to Manila - basically begging for forgiveness....

I am waiting for the petition to be processed (they say around 3 weeks) and then I can get an exit visa if I want to leave.  I was due to leave in January as my partner is starting college in the USA.

The process was a bit of a drag, and I was worried when I had to wait outside of the principal's office (in this case Reena) , but it was handled professionally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cookie47
20 minutes ago, Sibonga Simon said:

I am currently in the situation of having overstayed - 6 months or so.

Looks like I got in at just the right Time to forgo the dramas that you are Having. Good luck keep us informed on your progress. We do do plan ourselves to return to Australia (for a period of time). I won't go on with the reason it'll be off topic....

Sibonga Simon
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

Looks like I got in at just the right Time to forgo the dramas that you are Having. Good luck keep us informed on your progress. We do do plan ourselves to return to Australia (for a period of time). I won't go on with the reason it'll be off topic....

I think it is a bit arbitrary how they handle the process... the 'big guy' at reception gave me a form that had me promise to pay to get up to date and any penalties, to get notarized around the corner at the legal office - and then I took it and my visa extension application to the receiving window.  The guy there sent me to the release window, who then sent me to the outside door to see Ms Reena.

I think the 'big guy' and I thought I would have just paid the back dues and any penalty and be done in a couple of hours.  I think the folks at the receiving and releasing windows did not want to make that call, and sent me to see Reena.  I think I had to make photocopies of around 30 pages of old receipts, my passport, and latest receipt to send off to Manila.  It was essentially a form asking for forgiveness.   I guess it is a Catholic (and Muslim) country so confession is part of the culture.....

It seems a lot of work on their part, when they have already issued me an up to date visa extension, and taken my money, including a little penalty.  But as we know, paperwork is what keeps folks here employed.

• Like 2
Doofer

My understanding that Immigration Mactan is located in Gaisano Mactan Mall. If this is the case  what floor is it on?

lamoe
15 minutes ago, Doofer said:

My understanding that Immigration Mactan is located in Gaisano Mactan Mall. If this is the case  what floor is it on?

Bottom - extreme left front - facing mall  from the street not parking lot  - separate entrance from main or one closest to parking lot

• Like 1