IPhone 12 - no right to repair taken to a new level

lamoe

The right to repair has become a big issue for anything that requires a PC to function - from a laptop to a phone to farm equipment. Imagine if they do that with E-cars (Tesla). There is a safety issue to be considered to be sure.

The new I12 takes initial paring of internal components to a new level by including the camera. I can understand non-erasable at startup warnings to insure "knock-off" parts aren't installed and sold as Apple OEM's. But, as mentioned, what happens when Apple no longer supports the I12?  Aftermarket hacking of OS to allow non-Apple repair?

• Like 1
cookie47

On the same theme.. 

1) This has been filtering into the motor repair business for Quite few years now.

Ignition switch failure.Go to wrecking yard buy "new" switch. Nah,,, Switch needs to be programed  matched to vehicle computer (part of security issues)...

2) Replace diesel fuel injector on Toyota D4D. Computer needs to be told injector part number.

Both procedures need high end dealership scan tools (not P1000 Lazada items).

• Like 2