How I learned to drive

lamoe

lamoe

The sorry state of native drivers here caused me to think about how I learned and the most important rule - defensive (US) vs offense (here) driving.

Like most - dad on a Sunday in a huge parking lot but the high school I went to also had a state accredited driving school - pass the course get your license upon graduation. Cars (used) donated by Chicago's largest car dealer "Jim Moran the Courtesy (Motors) Man".

Bottom pic is next to diving school.

image.thumb.png.40a0be8f23cf08e014f38f132691785b.png

image.png.f29d17185a97d4eb2a1d22faa54f1ca8.png

image.png.0f2b375ecf7e7593da834692260b78b8.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
cookie47

Well,I started as a apprentice mechanic at 15 years and two months . Working in a fairly large dealership (for the UK). One was expected to learn to park vehicles and retrieve them and deliver them to the appropriate mechanic .This was two years before I could even get my car learner's permit at 17...Thus my parking and reversing skills were honed well before I took my test. I didn't have any official instruction, Just older mates that already had a full licence that could sit in whilst I was on "Ls".... Things were easy in those days in North London.

The downfall of all of this is I stupidly failed my first test as I didn't come to a COMPLETE  stop at a Stop sign (The wheels were JUST  moving)...Fair enough..I passed 3 month later..

But he noted I could do reverse parking well...😂

Never ever thought I would eventually go through enough tests AND course's to drive and hold a licence to drive a (up to) 120 tonne triple trailer road train truck in Australia.

Anyway I don't drive now. Sorry,,but Philippine driving does my head in, plus I sold my car to my BIL due to Covide restrictions...

• Like 2
KID

how many did you crunch at the dealership ?

Edited by KID
  • Like 1
to_dave007

All farm boys learn to drive tractors first..  at 12 I was on the tractor.  by 15 i was on the rural roads in the pickup.  Licensed at 16.

Couple accidents..  but nothing major...  well.  except the time I hit the corn storage shed..  ah yea.. forgot about that one.  16 at the time.    

• Like 1
lamoe

Had to take a driving test in S.C. 1969 - just bought a brand new Datsun (now Nesian) 510 - little sh!tbox - weighed about 2,000 lbs.,  I paid less than a buck a pound with tax. BUT, was a 4 speed w/ manual choke, made for very fast "off the line"  starts, then a bicycle could pass :ROFLMAO:. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a26146/we-loved-the-datsun-510-back-in-1968/

Out for road test portion - tester " I'm going to say STOP - you will stop as soon as you can".

He did, I stomped on brakes without depressing clutch and pulled emergency brake.  Car hoped and came to a very abrupt stop. He didn't.:biggrin_01: Still passed.

• Like 1
cookie47
how many did you crunch at the dealership ?

A few ,But fortunately I was not the only "young un" Also we had a body shop as part of the complex and cars in those days had real steel bumpers ,not like the plastic nowerdays

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

cookie47
53 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Datsun (now Nesian) 510 -

Yep,We had them in Australia.Datsun 1200 ,both in sedan and Ute (pickup).

Very light vehicle, go a lot of places where a more conventional (heavy) 4wd would get stuck..

• Like 1
lamoe
9 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Yep,We had them in Australia.Datsun 1200 ,both in sedan and Ute (pickup).

Very light vehicle, go a lot of places where a more conventional (heavy) 4wd would get stuck..

Winter 1971 - steep hill - heavy American cars just a slipp'en and a  slid'en - 510 so light it road on top of snow :tongue_01:

BUT, when got a rear car - Ford Torino Super Sport - had to get accustomed to winter driving all over again :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
Ozepete

Like Dave, learnt on the farm to drive all sorts of vehicles.

First driving was a grey Ferguson tractor. Ran over my brother with that when I was six!  We we towing a trailer along a fence line, I was driving (steering) he was throwing off posts. Got to the end and as my 12 year bro had previously shown me, I hopped over to the left and depressed the clutch and the Fergy stopped. Bro put his foot on the clutch next to mine so I jump out of the way to my spot sitting against the mudguard. Trouble was he had mistakenly put his foot on the foot rest and not the clutch so the bloody thing took off again!! By the time I got back to press the clutch he was under the rear wheel with it neatly stopped on his chest. Here I was looking down at bro gurgling and spittin' and trying to remember how to get reverse, missed reverse, got second I think and away we go over the rest of him. Luckily the wheel passed beside his head and the ground was muddy.  He got up and drove the Fergy back home where the old man raced him off 70 Ks to a doctor. He only had  few busted ribs. 

This event was reported in the Melbourne paper and a kind old bloke sent my bro a ten pound note and letter. When bro got that ten quid he got off my back in fact he thought we could be onto something.. (Ten pounds then was a weekly wage) 

• Like 1
cookie47
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

All farm boys

Not many farms in North London 🤭 , however my skills are Traffic and   "The Tube"

• Like 1
to_dave007
56 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

This event was reported in the Melbourne paper

Story sounds almost humorous today. I'm sure it wasn't at the time.

• Like 1
Ozepete
26 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

29 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Yes we always look back and take the piss out of each other. In fact he did get square with me about six years later. He bought a worn out David Brown 25 tractor with a more worn out 3 point linkage post hole digger. We were going to make a fortune contract hole diggin'.  One job was way out from home and on a Sunday. My job was to squat on top of the digger and sway it to make the useless bloody thing dig.  After an hour or so I reverted to sitting on the side arm but the drive shaft grease nipple grabbed my clothes and in a split second I was thrown out about 7 metres and totally naked!! My bro jumped off and tried to help but we didn't know if to laugh or cry because there were hundreds of tiny blood outlets squirting out and my guts hurt like hell. That was bad enough but bro had to leave me standing naked (mid winter) in a bare paddock while he drove the DB to the farmers house a few miles away t call the old man.

Worst part was once in hospital they put these gauze patches all over the skinned parts and it felt cool / relieved.  Several days later and with a nice growth off puss / scab growing threw the gauze, I'm wondering how do they get the gauze off until the old man, bro, doctor and nurses come to 'visit' I get held down and the gauze was ripped off. Bloody painful I tell ya and yes, bro had got square with me but I was lucky to be alive..  We had some great adventures but sadly he passed away a few years back and I miss him badly, I think its why I relive some times we had together and great memories. If I told all of the things we got up to and survived, no one would believe me!!

• Like 3
cookie47
1 hour ago, Ozepete said:

Grey Ferguson tractor.

Having most of my experience repairing cars (sometimes a small Bedford) in the big City when I got to to my first "Bush" job out of Darwin (1974) the learning curve was massive.Tractors,Grader, Caterpillar D8. Early 3 speed Land cruisers Kenworth and Mack truck ,Generators,,Trail bikes,,And a mini version of a combined harvester. All mostly new to me, but I muddled through .

I did have an incident with a "red"Fergie 135..Trying to diagnose a non start  with a cattle man helping ,I said ,is it in gear,, NO ,,,, I shorted the starter (purposely) ,The engine fired and it was in gear . It Lerched forward I jumped back BUT it run over my foot. I only has japenese riding boots on.But lucky ,soft ground saved me from serious damage.

• Like 2
Paddy

I learned to drive while I was at Sandhurst although I took my tests (2 of them) in Colchester. 

My dad was the Paymaster of a battalion stationed at Colchester and he managed to get me on a driving course at the battalion during a “spare” week one summer. 5 days driving around the area in an old, beat up Army LandRover  with several other young soldiers then test#1 on the Saturday. 

My turn for the test came when the examiner decided to go through the main part of Colchester, which, being Saturday morning, was very busy (vehicles and pedestrians). I was doing OK until I stalled the LandRover trying to pull away uphill from a light. It went rapidly downhill from there!

So back to Sandhurst and arranged for more lessons with a civvy instructor. Nice Vauxhall, slick gear shift now driving around Camberley. 

12 hours of instruction and three weeks later I was back in Colchester where the examiner (an NCO) had agreed to do a retest. We’ll use your Dad’s car he says. OK says I never having driven it before. It was an Austin 1100 with a gear shift like stirring porridge. Passed though 😀

A few more weeks I was back in Colchester for the weekend where dad had sourced a 1965 Ford Anglia Super with a reconditioned engine. I paid for the car, £250, he paid for the insurance, £50 ish. Then I drove it back to Camberley - carefully!!!

• Like 1