Jump to content

4 Rest In Poverty


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Okay, so the presentation isn't all that great. The topic might be of interest to those who havn't experienced a death of a family member in the Philippines.

I'm not sure if what he says is realistic or not. Maybe some of you can point out any misconceptions. 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
11 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Okay, so the presentation isn't all that great. The topic might be of interest to those who havn't experienced a death of a family member in the Philippines.

I'm not sure if what he says is realistic or not. Maybe some of you can point out any misconceptions. 

I don't have experience with this..  when my wife's father passed we paid for embalming at St Peters..  but it sounds realistic to me.  If you can't pay for embalming an can't avail a freezer..  what else could you do?  Just never considered it before.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
mikecon3

This has not been my experience either, but I see no reason to doubt it. I would think you would have to be really poor, or perhaps no family to contribute to the kittie.

It's been my experience that family contributes money, as well as neighbors and friends, for the embalming, wake and funeral. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
liquido

I think its a better alternative than having the deceased in your house for 10 days.... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. I had no idea. :( I don't know how realistic it is but it is believable that some families won't be able to afford the traditional ceremonies... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
31 minutes ago, yee said:

it is believable that some families won't be able to afford the traditional ceremonies... 

It's not the "ceremonies" that dictate the costs I think.. it's St Peters.. and their competitors..  which set the cost of freezers and embalming.  I had to deal with the remains of my friend Neil in 2019.. to help his kids in Canada.. and I think the base package alone (incl embalming) from St Peters was about 20,000.. everything tacks on the price.  

Edited by to_dave007
Link to post
Share on other sites
mikecon3

Wow, so talk about an eerie post...the eldest brother-in-law died yesterday about 9AM out at the farm. He had a stroke back in 2010 and has been living on borrowed time; and refused to quit drinking and smoking! The embalmer had him done up and in his Sunday best at the house in town this morning by 6AM. The package for embalming, coffin, service, and burial, starts as low as P10,000. That's a bare bones coffin. They ended up with a P27,000 package, guess maybe it has a built in stereo or something! Two cousins paid for that. We all ready have a family plot, so that's taken care of.

With Covid, they were initially told they could have a 5 day wake at the farm, or 3 day wake in town. After meeting with LGU's, they got permission for a longer wake of 10 days in town. His kids are in Luzon, and of course are going to have to quarantine for 14 days when they get there and are going to miss the funeral, but will be there for the mourning period afterwards, or so I am told. The wife is upset because we can't go either, it would take her even longer to get there, and since I don't have a visa, no point in me even thinking about it.

So on top of that, they are going to have to pay for all the food and drinks for all the people that show up over the 10 days, I would not be surprised if that was another P25,000 on top of the P27K. As Dave said, everything tacks on. But people do donate to the cause, every little bit helps. The 7 living siblings have agreed to split the cost among the ones that actually work, so the costs are actually very reasonable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

It's not the "ceremonies" that dictate the costs I think.. it's St Peters.. and their competitors..  which set the cost of freezers and embalming.  I had to deal with the remains of my friend Neil in 2019.. to help his kids in Canada.. and I think the base package alone (incl embalming) from St Peters was about 20,000.. everything tacks on the price.  

Oh, yeah... That too. I was thinking about the cost of the wake and the church thing (on the day of the burial) and skipped past the embalming... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy
On 10/29/2020 at 1:56 AM, mikecon3 said:

This has not been my experience either, but I see no reason to doubt it. I would think you would have to be really poor, or perhaps no family to contribute to the kittie.

It's been my experience that family contributes money, as well as neighbors and friends, for the embalming, wake and funeral. 

Also my experience. We’ve had two funerals recently in a family I wouldn’t consider as really poor, but certainly not well off. Both were proper funerals. We contributed along with other family members, neighbours and friends. I have no doubt that the family will have financial stress for some time. 
The funeral homes do advanced payment plans but they typically cost P1000 per month for a few years. That’s way more than most around here can afford. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47

Hmmm, Not good news for this thread.. We lost a 10 year old nephew ( in Cebu) yesterday evening.

Recently diagnosed and hospitalised with a heart complaint .It was described as Rumatic heart (I've heard of Rhumatic fever that can affect the heart valve's but no experience.... Was told that medication would be needed once a fortnight untill 21. He had ecg, and many many tests and the father had Just picked up medicine. The father was originally told that open heart surgery was an option but had "only" a 50/50 Chance of success . Even with our help the father my BIL Subsiquently chose the medication option . Anyway while out getting the medication the boy passed. It's a big surprise and shock as the boy was at our place just before Covide set in and playing basketball .So now the fun starts. . My wife being the oldest in the family group that's left has been doing the phone calls.Theirs already a bun fight regarding burial OR cremation....Grr...

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
HeyMike
48 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Hmmm, Not good news for this thread.. We lost a 10 year old nephew ( in Cebu) yesterday evening.

Recently diagnosed and hospitalised with a heart complaint .It was described as Rumatic heart (I've heard of Rhumatic fever that can affect the heart valve's but no experience.... Was told that medication would be needed once a fortnight untill 21. He had ecg, and many many tests and the father had Just picked up medicine. The father was originally told that open heart surgery was an option but had "only" a 50/50 Chance of success . Even with our help the father my BIL Subsiquently chose the medication option . Anyway while out getting the medication the boy passed. It's a big surprise and shock as the boy was at our place just before Covide set in and playing basketball .So now the fun starts. . My wife being the oldest in the family group that's left has been doing the phone calls.Theirs already a bun fight regarding burial OR cremation....Grr...

 

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. May your nephew rest in peace and may the family find comfort in each other.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..