Typhoon Molave - Quinta (24 Oct 2020)

BossHog

Tropical Cyclone: WARNING

Issued at 05:00 pm, 24 October 2020

TROPICAL DEPRESSION "QUINTA" MAINTAINS ITS STRENGTH WHILE MOVING WEST-NORTHWESTWARD TOWARDS BICOL REGION.

Track: Tropical Depression "QUINTA" will move generally west-northwestward today, then will turn westward tomorrow morning through Monday. The center of "QUINTA" is forecast to make landfall over Bicol Region between Sunday evening and Monday early morning, then track westward over the Southern Luzon area on Monday.

Intensity: "QUINTA" is forecast to steadily intensify to tropical storm category within 12 hours and may reach severe tropical storm category prior to landfall. After crossing the Philippine archipelago, this tropical cyclone may continue intensifying over the West Philippine Sea.

Hazards affecting land:

Rainfall: Today through tomorrow morning, the troughs of both Tropical Depression "QUINTA" and Severe Tropical Storm "SAUDEL" outside the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) will bring light to moderate with at times heavy rains over MIMAROPA, Bicol Region, Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Bangsamoro, Northern Mindanao, Caraga, and Quezon.

http://bagong.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/tropical-cyclone/severe-weather-bulletin/2

Quinta1720-Zoom.thumb.png.3a41a3881071f7e5345c37f7b172a6e4.png

wp2120.thumb.gif.a0dbef626aa470114347c95f83273a04.gif

rb-l.gif.a53975439f61db0a1efa4d70e76e0ba4.gif

Edited by BossHog
  • Thanks 4
BossHog

Other things to note:

1. The international name will be "Molave".

2. Metro Manila is expected to be placed under Signal No. 1 at 11PM.

3. PHIVOLCS has issued a LAHAR ADVISORY FOR MAYON VOLCANO: 24 October 2020 05:30 PM.

4. There's a potentially stronger storm (currently Invest #99W) about a week behind this one.

Edited by BossHog
  • Thanks 2
  • Administrator
Dafey

definately worth watching and we are already getting heavy rains in Western Leyte. However, with no predominant steering winds this thing looks like it will track the same way the last one did. Luzon certainly doesn't need heavy rain as they are already saturated but...here it comes!

• Like 3
BossHog

16 hours ago, Dafey said:

definately (sic) worth watching

Although not officially classified yet, Quinta/Molave has strengthened, developed an eyewall, and sure looks to be a Cat 1 typhoon now. Just off NE Samar as seen here...

2092810199_rb-l(1).gif.5803fbe424fa5bdcfadc26194550e1c4.gif

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
On 10/24/2020 at 3:53 AM, Dafey said:

definately worth watching and we are already getting heavy rains in Western Leyte. However, with no predominant steering winds this thing looks like it will track the same way the last one did. Luzon certainly doesn't need heavy rain as they are already saturated but...here it comes!

I beg to differ, northern luzon may have had its fill the rest of luzon needs more. Angat dam spill level is  217m now it has climbed to close to 191m. Ifit does not full then we can look forward to water shortages again like last year and in the southern area of luzon continued water interruptions as being experienced even now.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MickyG said:

I beg to differ, northern luzon may have had its fill the rest of luzon needs more. Angat dam spill level is  217m now it has climbed to close to 191m. Ifit does not full then we can look forward to water shortages again like last year and in the southern area of luzon continued water interruptions as being experienced even now.

I'm next to Laguna de Bay on Luzon and we are getting close to flooding but so far this evening the rain seems to be average and not heavy.  I sure wish the government would have dredged this lake so the water would be much deeper.  Found a link on water levels and flooding  http://bagong.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/flood

• Like 1

It's officially a typhoon since 2pm.

Looks like it will pass very near here around noon tomorrow, yay.

• Like 2
Soupeod
2 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

I'm next to Laguna de Bay on Luzon and we are getting close to flooding but so far this evening the rain seems to be average and not heavy.  I sure wish the government would have dredged this lake so the water would be much deeper.  Found a link on water levels and flooding  http://bagong.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/flood

IMHO, Clean up all the garbage in the drains the Filipinos put there in NCR would help alleviate the flooding.

• Like 3

About midnite here in qc.  Feels like the outer bands are beginning to reach us.  Just moved the car a bit further from a tree.  Brought some windchimes down.  Will worry about the rest come morning.

• Like 1
BossHog

Tropical Cyclone Quinta (international name Molave) intensified into a typhoon on Sunday, a few hours before making landfall over San Miguel Island in Albay's Tabaco City at 6:10 p.m., over Malinao, Albay at 6:50 p.m., and over San Andres, Quezon at 10:30 p.m.

Love the name of this place! Told the wife "get the bucket list we're adding an entry." After this Covid crap is over we gonna go to San Miguel island in Tabaco City. Fire up an Indepencia 1898 double corona and crack a grande of pilsen for a selfie on the beach. I Googled it and it looks like  a lovely spot with a view of Mayon volcano in the background...

download.jpg.f79a88aa9cfea85fb2f937d8d63edb61.jpg

• Like 7
to_dave007
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

Tropical Cyclone Quinta (international name Molave) intensified into a typhoon on Sunday, a few hours before making landfall over San Miguel Island in Albay's Tabaco City at 6:10 p.m., over Malinao, Albay at 6:50 p.m., and over San Andres, Quezon at 10:30 p.m.

Love the name of this place! Told the wife "get the bucket list we're adding an entry." After this Covid crap is over we gonna go to San Miguel island in Tabaco City. Fire up an Indepencia 1898 double corona and crack a grande of pilsen for a selfie on the beach. I Googled it and it looks like  a lovely spot with a view of Mayon volcano in the background...

download.jpg.f79a88aa9cfea85fb2f937d8d63edb61.jpg

Some nice photo's from the each at the north end of the island here.  Does look like a nice spot.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Punta+beach/@13.4060047,123.7650343,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipOg1jsNtzFfnzWaS8A8ygR2JHOgBEw_WFLISFxh!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOg1jsNtzFfnzWaS8A8ygR2JHOgBEw_WFLISFxh%3Dw203-h139-k-no!7i3197!8i2203!4m5!3m4!1s0x33a1b38d06578015:0xc12c5b96dc62e45f!8m2!3d13.4060054!4d123.7650338?hl=en

• Like 2

wind has picked up this morning and classes have been cancelled...................:unknw::scratch_head:  it is on line tuition from home and they are told to stay home, my boss is giggling like a school kid who has just cut class and got away with it. I suppose as a teacher she has!!:yahoo:

Edited by MickyG
  • Like 1

Almost over now, it's somewhere north of Coron. Still windy here but not enough to do any damage.

Lost 2 Papaya trees and there is some banana trees on the ground in the area. Surprisingly very little rain has fallen.

Power disappeared just after midnight as expected. 

All in all not too bad here.

• Like 1

same here nt that wet at all

boss is right looks another one is forming

The only surprising thing is the usual north trend direction has been changed to south east for the last two weather fronts. The third one just almost two weeks away looks like being way bigger but would need a south east trend to kick in to make it a threat......will it, won't it:idontknow:

I'm not sure what the typical path actually is. Searched and this is what I found. 1980-2005

Perhaps it has been less of a spaghetti pattern the last 15 years.

typaths.jpg.3d4cb549b265bf8058627e00b2ac4921.jpg

• Like 1