Health Care in the Philippines

cookie47
11 hours ago, Jester said:

If you have a medical plan

And that's is a problem. When your over 70 getting AFFORDABLE cover is virtually impossible .Of coarse affordability is relative to different peoples  income but quite honestly I haven't Found (and I've looked) anything that I could commit too.Yes it's scary relying on savings (which would go in a flash with something serious).. .I've Only had two Hospital visits in over 30 years.The first was Iloilo 1980s. ,(a very very x10 bad stomach bug) was not admitted .The service  was "very acceptable".

Last year I attended Modero medical center in Consolacion for pains in scalp/head ..The service was excellent, Triaged immediately,Having Cat scan within minutes of arrival .The visuals were very Western looking ,clean , organised.....apart from the dogs and peanut vendors on the steps outside. BTW no findings with symptoms..(my GP suggested B12 deficiency). which went away...Maybe  because I'm Australian and "nothing to see here"..😂

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kabisay-an gid

• Salty Dog

• Jester

• Dutch

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody moves to the PI for the medical care. They go for the women. Period. End of story.

Arriving in an ambulance only to be parked outside while having a heart attack, after 8 hours they discover the patient is dead. GF ending up at chong hua because of a kidney infection, only for

Stay away from Dumaguete if you plan on staying alive. After so called care there by an urologist I arrived in the U.S. where I looked so bad even my best friend didn't recognize me when trying to pic

Posted Images

BossHog
11 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

(my GP suggested B12 deficiency)

Pro Tip (and massively off-topic!):

The Reduced Salt version of Vegemite contains heaps of B12 whereas the Original formulation does not.

b12.jpg.350c126f6c3729613e06ee824fc2af1f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
cookie47
7 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Vegemite

👍👍👍👍👍👍🙃

• Administrator
Salty Dog
5 hours ago, Jester said:

Cheap is relative.   $24k US is a HUGE bargain. 

How much does a hip replacement cost, $95,459 or $77,967?

https://clearhealthcosts.com/blog/2019/05/how-much-does-a-hip-replacement-cost-95459-or-77967-or-why-does-the-insurance-company-pay-more-than-the-bill/

That said I have friend in Florida (US) hospital as I type this.   Are you sitting down?    This is his 5th one,  yes not a typo #5!  Dr screwed up, faulty replacement, infection.  Can happen anywhere.  Went to sue first DR and he no malpractice insurance and nothing was in his name!!!  

Maybe for some, but if I had that $95,459 hospital bill here in the USA, I wouldn't have to pay a single penny for it. My Medicare would pay it's portion and my TRICARE For Life would pay the remaining.

Even if I were in the Philippines, there is a $3,000 catastrophic cap per year. Once I've spent $3,000 in Cost Share/Copay, I don't have to pay anymore. I spent 30+ days in the hospital there and my bill was over $30,000. I ended up having to pay only $374, plus some for drugs I had to buy outside of the hospital. Even those would have been covered if I had known it at the time and went to an approved pharmacy.

post-14790-0-62994500-1472246385.jpg

• Like 1
RogerDuMond
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

And that's is a problem. When your over 70 getting AFFORDABLE cover is virtually impossible

Philhealth is 17,000 pesos for a year for senior foreigners. With Philhealth and the senior discount it reduces the bill for your hospital stay by at least 50%. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
21 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

Philhealth is 17,000 pesos for a year for senior foreigners. With Philhealth and the senior discount it reduces the bill for your hospital stay by at least 50%. 

They paid when my wife had an emergency appendectomy. There was a set fee they paid for the procedure. It was around P25,000. I think the total bill was P130,000. Of course the surgeon screwed us. He took his portion of what Philhealth paid and then charged us the entire amount. We had to pay it or she couldn't leave the hospital...

• Like 2
Goetz1965

When Anne my GF was admitted to ChongHua it was an emergency. And 3 days later I transferred her to Visayas Community Medical Center on Osmena Boulevard and the first the doctor there told me was "We here don't do unnecessary checks or treatments".
That alone tells a lot...

So if you in Cebu-City and want to afford the always overcrowded Vincente Soto I recomment the new Visayas Community Medical Center. 

And when I have more time I sure will do a video comparison on my YouTube channel between the prices of ChongHua and VCMC as I now have bills from both.

• Thanks 2
cookie47
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

Yes Thanks Roger,I've tried to get Philhealth twice at different locations but was refused both times on the basis that I was on a Balakbayan privalage  and "apparently " needed an ACR card FOR THEM complete the application, (NOTE,,Other persons about this matter may have had a different outcome)...this was mine...even with the help of my wife NOPE.. Thus I gave up. Fast forward to Covide.I was forced to convert ?? my expired Balakbayan to Tourist visa in July AND apply for an ACR card which has now ALL been completed. When I can get to Philhealth again I will give it another shot... Thanks..

• Like 3
Swissrider
Cheap is relative.   $24k US is a HUGE bargain. 

How much does a hip replacement cost, $95,459 or $77,967?
https://clearhealthcosts.com/blog/2019/05/how-much-does-a-hip-replacement-cost-95459-or-77967-or-why-does-the-insurance-company-pay-more-than-the-bill/
That said I have friend in Florida (US) hospital as I type this.   Are you sitting down?    This is his 5th one,  yes not a typo #5!  Dr screwed up, faulty replacement, infection.  Can happen anywhere.  Went to sue first DR and he no malpractice insurance and nothing was in his name!!!  
But I also found this link:

https://health.costhelper.com/hip-replacement.html

So I don't who is right. All I can say Switzerland is the most exepensive country for hip replacement. The price otherwise in Europe is something like 8 to 16 K us$. As I said, mine was over 20 K. So if it is 95 K in the US I would consider this as a modern form of fraud.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

baby43

Hi everyone, i spent 1 week at christmas atchong hua  i had a mild stroke  i found thst hospital excellent the doctors and nurses were good and caring, luck for me my wifw ex boss family are doctors and nurses they msde certain i got the right doctors to look st me ans had family member spend time with me and my wife,my wife ex boss wife checked my final bill and picked up on somethings i was overchrgwd on and thingd thst that was not uded no me got my final bill reduced.

• Like 1
Jester
4 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Maybe for some, but if I had that $95,459 hospital bill here in the USA, I wouldn't have to pay a single penny for it. My Medicare would pay it's portion and my TRICARE For Life would pay the remaining.

Even if I were in the Philippines, there is a $3,000 catastrophic cap per year. Once I've spent $3,000 in Cost Share/Copay, I don't have to pay anymore. I spent 30+ days in the hospital there and my bill was over $30,000. I ended up having to pay only $374, plus some for drugs I had to buy outside of the hospital. Even those would have been covered if I had known it at the time and went to an approved pharmacy.

post-14790-0-62994500-1472246385.jpg

I have medicare and VA.   I find the care at VA to be second to none.   So I pay nothing for care and medication.  Which is a good thing the years are taking a toll on me.  Been to the DR more in the last 5 years than I want to think about.   I kept the medicare in case of emergency visit.   The VA now covers emergency visits but the next administration could screw that all up! 

• Like 2
Soupeod

Last February, was visiting Biliran and saw a friend I barely recognized. 
Turns out he developed cancer in his mouth, so he traveled to Medical City (takes Tricare ins) to have surgery etc and got Typhus while there as well.

He survived and usually I hear good things about Medical city Hospitals.

• Like 1
smokey
5 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

That great roger have you ever been in a public hospital here and phil health and discount will barley cover 8% if ur lucky at the private hospitals

streak03
16 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

Last February, was visiting Biliran and saw a friend I barely recognized. 
Turns out he developed cancer in his mouth, so he traveled to Medical City (takes Tricare ins) to have surgery etc and got Typhus while there as well.

He survived and usually I hear good things about Medical city Hospitals.

Hey Soup, what medical City was your friend in?

Soupeod
47 minutes ago, streak03 said:

Hey Soup, what medical City was your friend in?

He flew to Clark ... so it must be near there. Oh, and going there they bill tricare, no initial cost to you. Then you pay 25-30%. 

they can also enroll you in tricare with an ID card.

I haven’t goggled it but there are medical cities in a lot of areas. Manila, Clark, Iloilo etc..