Health Care in the Philippines

baby43

One of the reasons brought up for why people would not live in the Philippines is medical, and yes some of the local natives do travel overseas for medical is correct.

i know about medical i was there over christmas got sick spent 1 week in hospital in Cebu, you pay for every little thing even 1 little tablet, thats why anyone who visit there and living there should be saving money just in case of emergencies, we are lucky here in Australia our taxes we paid in the years past pay for everything, i was lucky had travel and medical insurance which paid all my medical expenses of $2,800. I was prepared to write that offbecause I srill alive,however I got all that money back,credit cards do come in handy for medical emergencies as long as you got plenty of money in them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kabisay-an gid

• Salty Dog

• Jester

• Dutch

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody moves to the PI for the medical care. They go for the women. Period. End of story.

Arriving in an ambulance only to be parked outside while having a heart attack, after 8 hours they discover the patient is dead. GF ending up at chong hua because of a kidney infection, only for

Stay away from Dumaguete if you plan on staying alive. After so called care there by an urologist I arrived in the U.S. where I looked so bad even my best friend didn't recognize me when trying to pic

Posted Images

Kabisay-an gid

I hear a good number of expats say they left because they couldn't get good enough medical care. It's simply not true that you can't get excellent medical care in the Philippines. Metro Manila has five hospitals that are accredited by the prestigious Joint Commission International. Cebu doesn't have any internationally accredited hospitals, but it has a few very good ones.

If you have a medical plan that provides good coverage in the Philippines, you can get Western-quality care at any of the following medical facilities:

Asian Hospital & Medical Center - Muntinlupa 

Makati Medical Center - Makati

The Medical City - Pasig 

St. Luke's Medical Center - Global City 

St. Luke's Medical Center - Quezon City

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1
Kabisay-an gid
11 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I wonder how many LinC members can get to those good hospitals within an hour when they have a heart attack or stroke?

I was speaking primarily about expats with long-term, ongoing medical problems.

You're talking about emergency medical care, and there are numerous hospitals outside of Metro Manila that can keep you alive after heart attack and stroke.

In event of heart attack and/or stroke, I would MUCH prefer Chong Hua or Cebu Doctor's University Hospital over a lot of city/county hospitals in the USA. 

• Haha 2
Jester
2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I hear a good number of expats say they left because they couldn't get good enough medical care. It's simply not true that you can't get excellent medical care in the Philippines. Metro Manila has five hospitals that are accredited by the prestigious Joint Commission International. Cebu doesn't have any internationally accredited hospitals, but it has a few very good ones.

If you have a medical plan that provides good coverage in the Philippines, you can get Western-quality care at any of the following medical facilities:

The Medical City - Pasig 

I would not consider living in Manila living!  That said I would not live in any major US city either.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

The Medical City - Pasig 

Good hospitals in Cebu? I don't know any...
I've heard many people say Chong Hua is "practically a western hospital", but honestly from what I have heard and seen myself, it is just dirty and outdated, malpractice and negligence seems to be the standard.
If I had some serious health condition I wouldn't trust the hospitals here, it just seems too risky.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Personal experience with Chong Hua for a simple day surgery for my wife was adequate.

Sure it seemed old and beat up with outdated equipment. It was so crowded that it looked like a mall during Christmas shopping season.

As with most things in the Philippines, the paperwork and procedures during each step were cumbersome and tedious.

When it was all said and done, the surgery went without a hitch.

Note: Now it's six years later and she will have to have the surgery all over again. Is this normal, or did the doctor fail to do something she should have done during the original surgery? I think it wouldn't be the fault of Chong Hua, but the doctor who performed the surgery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
RogerDuMond
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Good hospitals in Cebu?

Perpetual Succor is fairly new and well kept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
liquido
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

If I had some serious health condition I wouldn't trust the hospitals here, it just seems too risky.

I felt the same way when I was living in Davao city...Lets face it the Philippines is not a destination for medical tourism..My plan was always if I was ABLE(keyword) to travel I would go to Bumrungrad hospital in Thailand.Yes,my first choice would be my home country but Bumrungrad hospital is a good choice and of course its closer...

• Thanks 2
govoner

Anyone having faith in the hospitals in Cebu at this time are definitely in the glass half full camp.....

https://www.manilatimes.net/2020/06/21/news/regions/virus-cases-overwhelm-cebu-city-hospitals/733232/

‘Virus cases overwhelm Cebu City hospitals’

ByRhea Ruth Rosell

June 21, 2020

CEBU CITY: A company nurse of a telecommunications company is alarmed by the extent of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in both private and public hospitals here because she had difficulty getting an employee admitted despite showing severe symptoms of the disease.

On Friday, Emma (not her real name), told The Manila Times that one of their employees, a 60-year-old lineman who had been experiencing cough, cold and fever since last week, had difficulty breathing at about 10 a.m. on Friday.

It is Emma’s job to make sure that the employee is well taken care of and confined in a hospital and intubated. It took Emma 14 hours before a Cebu hospital could accommodate the very sick patient.

Emma said the lineman, a resident of Barangay Banilad, was boarded into an ambulance and was first taken to Chong Hua Hospital in Barangay Capitol Site in Cebu City but when he reached the hospital, he was not accommodated because the hospital was full.

He was taken to Chong Hua Hospital’s Mandaue City branch but was refused once more.

“Afternoon came and the lineman skipped lunch,” said Emma in Visayan. “He waited until 2 p.m. but was still not admitted.”

Emma said their company doctor called the Cebu Doctors Hospital in Barangay Capitol Site in Cebu City, but when they got there, they were also turned down.

“We got concerned because he (lineman) could not disembark from the ambulance [as he was having difficulty breathing],” she added.

The ambulance took the patient to the North General Hospital in Barangay Talamban, but evening came and he was still not accommodated by the hospital.

Emma said she spoke with the supervisor of the nursing department of the North General Hospital over the phone, but they refused to accommodate the patient because they lacked the staff to attend to his needs.

Emma said the lineman waited inside the ambulance while she looked for other hospitals that could accommodate him.

“I called Mactan Doctors Hospital and ARC Hospitals (in Lapu-Lapu City), Cebu Velez General Hospital (in Barangay Ramos), Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC), St. Vincent Hospital (in Barangay Sambag 1), Perpetual Succour Hospital (in Gorordo), but all were full.

“They all refused the patient, even in Sotto (Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center or VSCMMC),” added Emma.

Emma said government hospitals in Cebu City like CCMC and VSCMMC cannot facilitate emergency and monitoring because they are full.

Emma said she called all the hospitals in Cebu City, including Southwestern University Medical Center (in Sambag 1) and Miller Hospital (Barangay San Nicolas), but the phones just kept on ringing.

“I even called Mendero Medical Center (in Consolacion town, north Cebu), but it will not accommodate,” added Emma.

Emma said she called all the hospitals in Cebu, even the ones in Mandaue City, but no hospital would accommodate the patient.

“I even begged that the lineman be admitted to the emergency room but they will not accommodate,” she pointed out.

Emma said the oxygen supply inside the ambulance ran out and their company doctor advised them to go back to Chong Hua Hospital in Cebu City.

“Our company doctor used his personal connection in Chong Hua so that he can be confined,” said Emma.

The lineman was confined in Chong Hua Hospital in Cebu City at midnight on Saturday.

Cebu City Mayor Edgar Labella told The Manila Times that this might not be the case because the private hospitals have adjusted to accommodate Covid-19 patients.

Labella pointed out that Cebu Doctors Hospital augmented 54 beds dedicated to Covid-19 patients and Chong Hua Hospital committed to augment up to 200 beds dedicated to Covid-19 patients.

Labella said Cebu City had 52 village isolation centers (BIC) that could accommodate positive asymptomatic Covid-19 patients.

Labella said 1,000 patients were confined in the BIC but the number was decreasing because many asymptomatic Covid-19 patients have recovered.

“They (asymptomatic Covid-19 patients) are isolated, fed and supported by the city government,” said Labella.

The Manila Times sent a text message to the regional director of the Department of Heath in Central Visayas but the latter did not issue a statement as of press time.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Swissrider
I felt the same way when I was living in Davao city...Lets face it the Philippines is not a destination for medical tourism..My plan was always if I was ABLE(keyword) to travel I would go to Bumrungrad hospital in Thailand.Yes,my first choice would be my home country but Bumrungrad hospital is a good choice and of course its closer...
I lived for a while in Thailand and yes, Bumungrad is a good hospital. And some others in Bangkok likewise. BUT, they are not cheap. Small example: A friend of mine (rich) had a hip implant done at the Bumungrad. Cost him 24 K us$. Was well done. I had mine done in Switzerland. Cost (insurance paid) 22 K Swiss Francs. Conclusion ? Think for yourself.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Jester
2 hours ago, Swissrider said:

I lived for a while in Thailand and yes, Bumungrad is a good hospital. And some others in Bangkok likewise. BUT, they are not cheap. Small example: A friend of mine (rich) had a hip implant done at the Bumungrad. Cost him 24 K us$. Was well done. I had mine done in Switzerland. Cost (insurance paid) 22 K Swiss Francs. Conclusion ? Think for yourself.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Cheap is relative.   $24k US is a HUGE bargain. 

How much does a hip replacement cost, $95,459 or $77,967?

https://clearhealthcosts.com/blog/2019/05/how-much-does-a-hip-replacement-cost-95459-or-77967-or-why-does-the-insurance-company-pay-more-than-the-bill/

That said I have friend in Florida (US) hospital as I type this.   Are you sitting down?    This is his 5th one,  yes not a typo #5!  Dr screwed up, faulty replacement, infection.  Can happen anywhere.  Went to sue first DR and he no malpractice insurance and nothing was in his name!!!  

Edited by Jester
  • Haha 1
smokey
10 hours ago, Jester said:

I would not consider living in Manila living!  That said I would not live in any major US city either.  

Oh so if sick and u live in say cebu u fly to manila bring an over night bag and check in ?  Well if its longer then 2 weeks bring a stack of credit cards and there is insurance that covers the bill ? How much a month is it?  I stayed in cebu doc 3 days cost 330.000 peso  wonder what st luke would of charged

Jester
20 minutes ago, smokey said:

Oh so if sick and u live in say cebu u fly to manila bring an over night bag and check in ?  Well if its longer then 2 weeks bring a stack of credit cards and there is insurance that covers the bill ? How much a month is it?  I stayed in cebu doc 3 days cost 330.000 peso  wonder what st luke would of charged

If I have to get on a plane to go to hospital,  it will be either Thailand, Guam or Hawaii. 

• Like 2
davehud

Nobody moves to the PI for the medical care. They go for the women. Period. End of story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2