Looking for immigration attorney for 13A

the chimp

Wondering if anyone might know the name of an immigration attorney in Cebu who would be able to assist me in applying for the 13a visa.Normally I wouldn't require an atty's assistance,but it seems time will be of the essence due to the new policy of having to apply for a visa from the U.S.just to enter Philippines.As I understand it,the entry visa is only good for 59 days,and from what I've read,applying for the 13a can be a lengthy process.All my previous trips to the Phils.involved going to the immigration office to extend entry visa,not even sure if this is an option anymore.Years ago I enlisted the help of Paul Whiteway in Cebu to help me with some visa matters,emailed him 3 or 4 months ago,but never heard back.Anybody know if he is still around? Thanks,appreciate any help !!

Edited by Dafey
aiden9991

Even if you use a lawyer the wait wont be any shorter. 

tried and tested by many in the same situation.

the chimp

THank you,am I still able to extend my entry visa at immigration?

aiden9991
1 hour ago, the chimp said:

THank you,am I still able to extend my entry visa at immigration?

Once you are in the philippines, you can extend your visa this is not a problem. But please be aware that the immigration office is becoming a little more careful when extending visas. as long as you have a reason to stay here such as family members or business then i can't see a problem however if it's related to travel i'll be a little careful when applying for an extension.

• Like 1
the chimp

Thank you,I will be coming with my wife,we will be coming to visit and help her family.I never had a problem renewing my visa at the immigration office in the past,although I did it in Surigao,Dumaguete and Pampanga area,never Cebu.Is it becoming more difficult due to covid,or perhaps somewhat politlcally motivated? Sure wish they would bring back the balikbayan visa,that was the one I had originally planned on using when we first started putting our trip together a year or so ago.

BossHog
18 hours ago, the chimp said:

Wondering if anyone might know the name of an immigration attorney in Cebu who would be able to assist me in applying for the 13a visa.Normally I wouldn't require an atty's assistance,but it seems time will be of the essence due to the new policy of having to apply for a visa from the U.S.just to enter Philippines.

If you have enough time before your planned departure, then applying for the 13a in the States would definitely be your best bet. Find out which Philippine consulate is nearest you and contact them directly.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 4
SkyMan
47 minutes ago, the chimp said:

I will be coming with my wife,we will be coming to visit and help her family.

It would not be cost effective to get a 13A just to come for a visit.  Are you  coming for years?  If not, just get a 9A visa from the embassy for $30 and extend it as needed for up to 3 years.

Also, if you really want a 13A I would suggest getting it at the Embassy there before coming to the Phils.  And you need no lawyer, just find out from the embassy what is required.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
the chimp

Trying to stay for 2-3 yrs. If the 9a needs to be renewed every 2 or 3 months,yeah,been there done that.Can be a bit of a pain in the A$$ to do that depending on where you are.Had to do it in Surigao once,get a little tired of the pompous attitude.From what I understand,it is alot easier to apply for the 13a once you are in Phils.Besides time is getting short,we hope to be leaving in 2 of 3 months. Appreciate your input.

BossHog
3 hours ago, the chimp said:

Trying to stay for 2-3 yrs.

Had to do it in Surigao once,get a little tired of the pompous attitude.

From what I understand,it is alot easier to apply for the 13a once you are in Phils.

Besides time is getting short,we hope to be leaving in 2 of 3 months. 

1. For that length of stay, the 13a is the way to go in your situation.

2. Surigao BI (immigration) is very friendly and professional these days.

3. The opposite is true.

4. Should be plenty of time, at least under normal circumstances. Still doable I'd think assuming you have the required documentation already prepared.

Edited by BossHog
SkyMan
16 hours ago, the chimp said:

From what I understand,it is alot easier to apply for the 13a once you are in Phils.

Not true, and mainly because in the PI you'll have to do it twice.  You'll also need a 9A anyway just to get in to the PI and may need to extend that once waiting for the 13A to process. The only downside to doing the 13A outside the RP is the medical clearance may cost a bit more.

Besides time is getting short,we hope to be leaving in 2 of 3 months.

Should be enough time if you get on it but the embassy may provide a better guess of the time frame.

Appreciate your input.

Just trying to inform.  Had I known it was possible to do the 13A outside the RP I would have done mine that way.

If the 9a needs to be renewed every 2 or 3 months,yeah,been there done that.

Actually, 2 months or 6 months, however, some people have had difficulty getting the 6 month renewals.

Trying to stay for 2-3 yrs.

I would guestimate the cost of obtaining a 13A in the PI to be about the same as 2 years as a tourist.  Maybe less if you get it in the US.

the chimp

Thank you All,appreciate the help.Will be applying for the 9a soon,after wife gets her new Phils.passport.As of right now,her appointment is in NYC the day after the election.OH BOY!!

aiden9991
On 10/21/2020 at 4:35 AM, BossHog said:

If you have enough time before your planned departure, then applying for the 13a in the States would definitely be your best bet. Find out which Philippine consulate is nearest you and contact them directly.

13a process and issuance is temporarily on hold due to covid 19. Any embassy is unable to process the 13a as of the moment. A quick google search and give one the updates.

As for a 13a process from within the Ph its still a possibility as of today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
the chimp

Thank you,will definately wait till we get there,although already a hitch in our plans.Bought our tickets with Air Canada yesterday,already recieved an email from them changing our flight to 3 days later than the original departure date.This is going to be a pain in the ass because I'm sure it will change again.Have to apply for 9a visa from states with both flight itinerary and reservations with covid approved hotel facility.I guess I will need to contact Phil.embassy to see how they want to handle possible future changes to our arrival.

SkyMan
56 minutes ago, the chimp said:

Thank you,will definately wait till we get there,although already a hitch in our plans.Bought our tickets with Air Canada yesterday,already recieved an email from them changing our flight to 3 days later than the original departure date.This is going to be a pain in the ass because I'm sure it will change again.Have to apply for 9a visa from states with both flight itinerary and reservations with covid approved hotel facility.I guess I will need to contact Phil.embassy to see how they want to handle possible future changes to our arrival.

Although you need to include an itinerary with your 9A app there is no requirement that you fly on that specific itinerary. If that were the case, the itinerary would be listed on the visa. The visa is good for 90 days  from issuance and you can arrive any time within that 90 days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
easy44

Just learned that my 13a has been approved and ready for pickup!

Next my icard. That should be another couple of months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2