Why do some stay, while others return to their home country

It has worked out great for me since leaving PI. No problems, no extreme lockdowns, free to travel, everything is open now.

• Like 4
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• to_dave007

• Soupeod

• Jess Bartone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many guys itching to live here are bringing their wife and how many are coming here for a wife or gf.   Some foreigner starts talking to me at ribshack in seaside and we are talking about this ver

15 years ago I lived in Cebu, the thought of living there permanently was on my mind.  Decided I like Wal Mart, Home Depot, car parts stores, rational traffic laws, the list goes on.   Married and liv

Posted Images

Long time ago when I was considering making the P's a home,  I started to notice that at around 5 years people where throwing in the towel and leaving for a myriad of reasons. 

The longer I stayed the more irritated I became with things that should not have bothered me.   Now I find my kumbiah attitude in the P's lasts at most 6 weeks. 

I had a health scare in the US,  which ended my plan to go to the P's once I was no longer mobile.  

Takes a special kind of person to live in the PI's and I am not one of them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
HeyMike

I have a house on Cebu and have lived there for 12 years. I like my life in the province where I live in. I just wish they would bring back the balikbayan privilege. I would get on a plane and return there tomorrow if they could just do that 1 thing. But alas.... 

• Like 3
smokey

I want to leave for freedom i miss it every checkpoint.  Every time i go to mall every time the virus police tell me follow the arrow.  .. the 6 weeks it took me to get truck registered is another thing i wont miss just the drama to move now that the philippines has 7.000 new presidents. ...

.      Was hoping the movie would reopen but dang virus stoped that guess its for our own good well maybe i cqn go to the cock fights and experience social distancing as well as sheilds and mask 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, smokey said:

I want to leave for freedom i miss it every checkpoint.  Every time i go to mall every time the virus police tell me follow the arrow.  .. the 6 weeks it took me to get truck registered is another thing i wont miss just the drama to move now that the philippines has 7.000 new presidents. ...

.      Was hoping the movie would reopen but dang virus stoped that guess its for our own good well maybe i cqn go to the cock fights and experience social distancing as well as sheilds and mask 

The ongoing  lockdown is really getting to me. Not the basic aspects of cleanliness, caution, reasonable restrictions.  As you indicated, the ongoing petty BS. We never go out that much except food shopping anyway.

Went to Landers on Saturday - wearing mask and half face shield - told by guard to go buy a full face one at counter before I could go in. Luckily had been to 138 basement and they were giving away the cheapo full face ones with a purchase.

Went back to car and got it. Yeah.

BUT, the lady in front of me was wearing hers on her head entering and then walking around store. :killself:

• Like 1
BossHog

I haven't been back to the States in twenty-five years but we were actually due go this spring for a visit. On a cruise ship from Yokohama. Yes, from that port. That got cancelled. So booked a flight instead for May and bought baseball tickets for a Cardinals-Pirates series. Flight and games all canceled (and refunded!)

So maybe I'm just destined to be 'stuck' here for another twenty-five years, lol. But if things do clear up by 2021 or 2022 we will try again to make the trip. If not, we're happy enough here. Whatever.

• Like 3
Jess Bartone
20 hours ago, TequilaSunset said:

I can't wait to leave kalifornia and make permanent my stay in the Philippines

I'm with you there brother. It's interesting to hear the different points of view in this thread, I wonder how I will go. I removed my rose coloured glasses long ago, and believe I have a pretty good idea what I'm in for, but extended visits of several months aren't the real thing. A few people have mentioned a five year limit, sort of a burnout I suppose, but I'm generally not too bad at sticking to commitments, and I feel I've done my time at home. My general health is good, but my joints are mostly worn out, I just need to make one more good push to build the house (when the virus situation changes) and I can relax into being a house daddy. When I die, Grace gets the small house (where mama and sis live now) of course, but the big house (I will build on a quarter acre lot) is going into a trust for the girls - Grace liked the idea very much - and they will get my house in Australia too. Not that I'm planning to die any time soon.

Early days yet, but Mary, our eldest at 7 1/2, is already saying she wants to be a doctor, which normally could be dismissed as childish fantasy, but from day 1 she has voluntarily pulled her books out after school and studied what she learnt that day, she devours knowledge and is very astute, fatherly pride notwithstanding. Pikot, our five year old, is showing the same signs, and she has always sat in a non-disruptive way with Mary while she studied. Besides, doctor training in the Philippines will be a damn site cheaper than in Australia. Point is that I will have an emotional investment as well as a chunky financial investment in being there for my girls, all three of them. Sorta painted myself into a corner you might say... another lamb to the slaughter :not_see:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
to_dave007
2 minutes ago, Jess Bartone said:

. When I die, Grace gets the small house (where mama and sis live now) of course, but the big house (I will build on a quarter acre lot) is going into a trust for the girls - 

may i ask what part of Cebu? 

Jess Bartone
12 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

may i ask what part of Cebu? 

Not Cebu but Mindanao, a little place between CDO and Butuan on a tranquil north facing bay... 1,600 pesos a square metre in the quiet part of town.

• Like 2
On 10/19/2020 at 1:10 AM, RogerDuMond said:

No idea, I have no desire to ever go back.

Same here, usually good weather good, lifestyle, food, amazing partner, saving money. On the covid front we have no cases. Suspected cases are quarantines on a neighbor hood level until tests come back. Now they stopped LSI's we don't have that either. 

smokey

I see only the cute puppy dog post are here    opposing views will not be allowed and hidden or removed 

Edited by smokey
  • Confused 2
Ozepete

About ten years ago while visiting my wife's sister interior of Sibonga, I started feeling very ill. Next day worse so we got flown back to Oz later that and next day where I was hospitalised in an IC infectious disease ward because initially they had no idea what was going on. Days of intensive testing etc and they found I had Multiple Myeloma (plasma cell cancer) which wipes out the immune system among other tricks. This caused otherwise harmless bugs to run amuck. I was in so much pain I didn't think I could last a week but massive doses of drugs, three months of Chemotherapy followed by stem cell harvesting etc and since then I have felt really good only need to monitor bloods etc.  

I believe that I am alive today because I got 'to hell out of Dodge' and ended up in an excellent facility (St Vincents in Melb) and with a world renowned Professor of oncology looking after me. 

I doubt that I could have got sorted out in Cebu and why now I only visit there, besides being an Ozzie, I have not paid a cent for any of my treatments, meds etc. all free on Medicare. (That's the Scottish bit in me!)

FWIW if I did live in Cebu I would have a one way ticket to Singapore or back home ready just in case because its too late when the proverbial hits the fan. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
3 hours ago, smokey said:

I see only the cute puppy dog post are here    opposing views will not be allowed and hidden or removed 

There hasn't been any posts hidden or deleted in this thread...