Light Fixtures that I can screw a light bulb into

to_dave007

to_dave007

I have several new light fixtures that I wanted to install and a couple of old ones I want to replace, and I discover that a LOT of the light fixtures available in Cebu Home Builders, Ace, and a store I checked in Bogo, do NOT have sockets for screwing in a light bulb any more.  Instead, they have a built in LED strip.  This means that when the LED strip goes..  I need to replace the entire damn fixture instead of just a bulb, and I don't want to replace the whole fixture.

Just checked one couple days ago at CBH..  and it's got a LIFE of 2 years.. then you nee to replace the fixture.

I bought one fixture about 1 year ago.. i THINK it was Akari.. that took 3 small LED bulbs.. and I want to buy more just like it.  but nowhere to be found.

• Like 1
Paddy

Most of our room lighting is now “flat” LED fittings. If they fail, yes, replace the whole thing. We also have fan lights with LED bulbs and some wall lights that use LED bulbs. All of these were bought in the last two years when we changed virtually all of the light fittings. 
However, what we did with some old fashioned outside lantern fittings was to recondition the fittings (clean up and matt black spray paint) and then replace the bulbs with LED bulbs. 
It is indeed a pain to think of replacing an entire fitting after “only” 2 years unless the fitting is cheap (and you might not want cheap looking fittings) and easy to replace. 

• Thanks 1
to_dave007
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Most of our room lighting is now “flat” LED fittings. If they fail, yes, replace the whole thing. We also have fan lights with LED bulbs and some wall lights that use LED bulbs. All of these were bought in the last two years when we changed virtually all of the light fittings. 
However, what we did with some old fashioned outside lantern fittings was to recondition the fittings (clean up and matt black spray paint) and then replace the bulbs with LED bulbs. 
It is indeed a pain to think of replacing an entire fitting after “only” 2 years unless the fitting is cheap (and you might not want cheap looking fittings) and easy to replace. 

It's not just the REPLACEMENT of the fitting that is a pain.  I live 2 to 3 hours from the city.. and here in Tuburan there is NO lights in the stores..  so every light that needs to be replaced is a pain in the ass trip to the city..  the local stores stock BULBS.. but if the fixtures they sell don't have bulbs.. ..  well.. I'm sure you see the issue.

• Like 1
cookie47

Lazada has a multitude of lamp fittings and fixtures that are able to take a ES27 screw in globe/bulb. I can't accualy visualize what your needs are but they have from simple "batton "fittings to more fancy offerings. Lazada may not be your thing due to your LOCATION however but it is our go to due to can't get out. While "I'm" here.. Im currently converting some downlights (which are 100% throughout our house) using flexible extensions and then a shade to Achieve a More visually appealing result...

• Thanks 1
to_dave007
25 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Lazada has a multitude of lamp fittings and fixtures that are able to take a ES27 screw in globe/bulb. I can't accualy visualize what your needs are but they have from simple "batton "fittings to more fancy offerings. Lazada may not be your thing due to your LOCATION however but it is our go to due to can't get out. While "I'm" here.. Im currently converting some downlights (which are 100% throughout our house) using flexible extensions and then a shade to Achieve a More visually appealing result...

A bit frustrating. Surely I don't need to buy simple cheap light fixtures by Lazada.

The fitting i like the most round maybe 16 inch diameter, and quite flat, and takes 3 bulbs which it hides under a screw on cover.  I have pot lights in most of our rooms.. stupidly..  and I'd like to get rid of them.. Pain in te ass to get the covers back on and they are falling apart...  Nice thing about the 16" flat fixture is that I can just hide the pot light hole through the hardiflex behind it.. and presto..  new look.  wish I'd bought more of these fixtures when I got the one I have.. I'd like to do the same in 3 or 4 more rooms..  but NOT with fixtures that need to be replaced when an LED fails.  

Paddy
6 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

It's not just the REPLACEMENT of the fitting that is a pain.  I live 2 to 3 hours from the city.. and here in Tuburan there is NO lights in the stores..  so every light that needs to be replaced is a pain in the ass trip to the city..  the local stores stock BULBS.. but if the fixtures they sell don't have bulbs.. ..  well.. I'm sure you see the issue.

Silly me! Here I am thinking Masbate is at the tail end of the global logistic chain!😄 

• Like 1
to_dave007

so are LED light bulbs a thing of the past?

cookie47

You mean you got electricity in Tuburan

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

• Haha 1
cookie47

Accualy we had a lot of failures when replacing our incandescent bulbs with 9 watt LED,s.....The Akari (spelling?) brand from Ace only lasted (some not all) about 9 months.My wife (bless her) complained to the manager of Ace at Consolacion .I said before we went,,, you got to be joking.
But no he replaced them (I nearly fell over).Mind you we have spent sheeeet loads there...We now use the OSRAM brand , probably still made in the same factory but have proved themselves more in longevity. OSRAM are about P80 more a box if 6.

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I think LED is the only way to go. Most of my home lights now have LED bulbs. I know you're not talking about tube type light bulbs, but I bought these 48" LED Fluorescent Light Bulbs Replacements for my garage. They are fantastic. The second I turned them on, I was like WOW. Everyone who comes into the garage ask me about them. I don't know if you've dealt much with fluorescent tubes, but they are a pain in the ass, especially if you break one. These have a hard plastic tube that is shatterproof. 

• Aluminum and High Quality
  • Clear cover provides a stunning 2600 lumens, only 22w. Save 65% on your electricity bill
  • No buzzing ballasts, no flickering, no mercury or hazardous materials, no UV or IR radiation
  • Easy Installation, just remove or bypass the starter and ballast before installation
  • 6000K super bright white to enhance the environment with fresh and bright atmosphere
  • Normal service life of 50,000+ rated hours ( lasts up to 10x longer than conventional lighting )

e49a890c-aada-4579-80cb-831dad2f5f20.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
to_dave007
12 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I think LED is the only way to go. Most of my home lights now have LED bulbs. I know you're not talking about tube type light bulbs, but I bought these 48" LED Fluorescent Light Bulbs Replacements for my garage. They are fantastic.

Hadn't even heard of those..  but looks like good idea.. i have one application for those as well.\

But I want BULBS that I can screw into the fixtures not fixtures with the LED built in.    

• Like 1
cookie47

I have had quite a bit of experience with conventional floruorecent lamps of various flavours and sizes. My last trip to Singapore I swapped out an old 4ft unit ant my nieces unit to the type you have mentioned. (led).and yes difference is dramatic.No flick on starting which as you say is immediate.I swapped the complete housing/mounting  so there was only two wires to reconnect .And I agree glass tube's are a risk and I found out emmit a powder that is quite toxic if the glass is shattered.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

so are LED light bulbs a thing of the past?

News to me. I thought they were the future.

You can go into a Lowes or Home Depot and probably 90% of the light bulbs they sell are LED.

I've never had one go bad and I've been using them for over 5 years now. 

• Like 1
to_dave007
6 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

News to me. I thought they were the future.

You can go into a Lowes or Home Depot and probably 90% of the light bulbs they sell are LED.

That's exactly what I thought as well..  but for some strange reason Cebu Home builders, Ace, and other stores are selling fixtures that don't take the bulbs.  Its not the LED BULBS hat is issue..  I can buy them easily..

• Like 1
KID
23 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Funny timing, have had one of the bulb screw in types going bad over the last 2 days. weird shit. gets brighter then dims and will even glow dim after the switch is shut off. newly replaced with a good old fashion 60watter and all is well. My mother did the rope type LED's in her kitchen around her cabinets probably 4 years ago and they work out great--- no problems and they really light up the whole room well

• Like 1