Windows 10 update crashed my laptop...AGAIN!

mikecon3

I’ve got an Acer laptop running Windows 10. I’ve had two major crashes in the past 3 months, and “coincidently” both occurred after a Windows update. The first time, I kept running the diagnostics and repair disk, it said it was fixing the errors…I think all it did was make them worse.

I ended up having to format that drive and reinstalling Windows 10 again. Fast forward to this week, I get a notice in the notification panel that it needed to restart to fix errors. Here we go again. It tried to fix itself, just ended up crashing again. The system restore points I had were of course no where to be found.

I took the hard drive out and ran repair disk with the hard drive as a USB device. It actually fixed some errors, but still wouldn’t boot up when I put it back in the laptop.

Tried again yesterday, when it started up it says it was fixing errors, then after 4 hours of that, SHAZAM, it booted up and seems to be working fine. Got a message that says “We removed some recently installed updates to recover your device from a startup failure”. Uhh, thank you, I think?! That’s not even close to what come out of my mouth when I read that!

Talked to another guy here, he said he had 2 laptops for his kids go bad last week, ended up sending them back since they were under warranty. Same sort of issue.

Anyone else experiencing this type of crap from Microsoft? I had postponed updates for 5 weeks, can’t figure out how to turn them off permanently…then the time was up and it figured it was time to screw my laptop up again! Hopefully I can go in before the 5 weeks are up and postpone for another 5 weeks.

to_dave007

have a laptop here that is a few years old. Bought it for the wife..  and for last several years she bitched that it was not working, and that I wasn't a good guy because I didn't fix it fast enough and that I wouldn't buy her a new one, and whatever else she could think of.  So my reaction was "F*K-it..  and the laptop sat unused and unrepaired.

Until about a month ago when I needed tp get computer up and running for the kids to start the DepEd school year.

I already knew it needed a new battery (told the wife in 2019 and she ordered makeup and tupperware from Lazada but not the v=battery, and I could see it was trying to do dynamic updates..  and install Chrome.. and virus checker updates.. and a half dozen other updates.  so.. step by step was the order of the day.  But when I got the damn laptop from her it was 95%+ CPU load trying to do all the shit that was queued up.

So..  first got new battery.. at least now I can safely do a dynamic update without worrying about power failure.

Then I went through deleted a bunch of shit.. like expired virus checker I knew I wouldn't want.. and Chrome. (I like Edge)..  Got ride of some stuff at startup.. and services not needed.

THEN I started the dynamic updates..  including updates back to 2017 that had not been installed..  and 48 FULL hours and countless restarts later. all dynamic updates installed.  Then installed Office 360 (I have multi user subscription) and Norton anti Virus (I have multi user sucscription) 

and finally..  after a week or so of cleanup.. it works..  like new.

so..  hope I don't get bitten by any new update. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Jester

I have an Acer laptop with Windows 10 in the US.    I find the Windows 10, non intuitive and very difficult to learn.

I have not had an actual crash, it seems like at least twice a week when I turn it on it starts updating and doing other things,  real pain.   The last big update took hours and it does seem to be working better. The laptop is the lowest price one they had.   I have a newer Acer desktop with Windows 10 and it is 100 times better.  I think the laptop is about 4 years old and the desktop is about a year old. 

• Like 1
mikecon3

Besides the fact it seems to crash my laptop, I dislike the updates because they just start running in the background. No notification, no status bar, no nothing, just all by itself starts running in the background using up all the memory and maxing out the CPU. Everything is sluggish, I'm thinking something is wrong, and I've learned by now it's probably the update, don't try to restart! I think I just got a lemon, doesn't seem normal.

to_dave007

I think the best way to handle the updates is to defer them to a particular day of the month, and schedule them for night time, then leave the lap top on that night.  Haven't actually DONE this..  but like others I am annoyed by WHEN Microsoft wants to borrow my computer to update its; software

• Like 1
Pman

If your adventuresome you can always get rid of it. It can limit a few functionalities, but won't affect typical email/internet browsing/office using people: 

Linus Youtube Video on Ameliorated Windows

No Updates, no Cortana, no spyware... does it open up to more virus??? Not sure. 

There is always Linux.

Or Mac. Had no problem living there with my MacBook. All updates are by choice. 

• Thanks 1
mikecon3
1 hour ago, Pman said:

If your adventuresome you can always get rid of it.

Not feeling too adventurous these days!

1 hour ago, Pman said:

There is always Linux.

I have always thought of Linux as the boogeyman, in reality I think I was thinking of Unix. I always thought of using Unix as having to be a programmer to use. After doing some searches, it sounds like Linux isn't as complicated as everyone has made it out to be.

1 hour ago, Pman said:

Or Mac. Had no problem living there with my MacBook. All updates are by choice. 

My family loves their iphones, and my daughter uses MacBook. I started out using DOS and floppy disks, and I guess Windows is just what I'm used to, faults and all. Maybe when the faults just get too annoying, I'll make the plunge to something else.

• Like 2
Pman

It's so easy you can put a bootable copy on a USB stick for larger distributions or CDROM for smaller and run it from there. Just order your bios to Boot to USB/CDROM first, insert the USB/CDROM and it boots to Linux and you don't have to erase or mess up your Windows on your Hard drive. 

I like Solus if you like windows: https://getsol.us/home/

And Elementary if you like Mac: https://elementary.io

I use puppy ( http://puppylinux.com ) running from a CDROM to fix Mac and Windows computers which have messed up hard drives. Though I wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver. I use the other two listed above for that. 

Mac OS is really just a customized version of Unix. Almost all version of OS X have even been certified.

• Like 2
MickyG

Yes my acer is crashing regularly sometimes it goes all day then it just stops and cannot reboot for hours I see I have a message for a windows up date.......dare I :cry:

• Haha 1
lamoe

Acer = Windows 10 - had a problem of auto-sleep not wanting to wake up

Read that sometime a USB preferential (mouse in my case - had both corded and wireless) could cause this problem  - now remove plug - restarts after pressing on button for 3 seconds. Before did a quick press.

• Like 1
mikecon3
7 hours ago, lamoe said:

Acer = Windows 10 - had a problem of auto-sleep not wanting to wake up

I had the same problem as well...I turned off the hibernation for the hard drive.

• Like 1
CardiacKid

Suggest you look at Distrowatch for a Linux distro that you might be comfortable using. Manjaro Linux is my favorite. It's fast, stable, and secure. It is also a rolling distro. Once you have the first one installed, updates are continuous and you never have to reinstall a new version. One other thing you might like about Linux is that you never have to reboot to finish an update. You only have to shut down when you change hardware. Linux has made tremendous strides in the last 10 years. Lastly, it is free. 

• Like 2