Forum Software Upgrade IPS Community Suite 4.5.3

Salty Dog

• Administrator
Salty Dog

The forum has had a major upgrade completed.

It may take awhile to get everything back to normal (as we can get).

There are a lot of changes both visible and in the background.

Some themes have been discontinued or are not compatible with the new software version.

Same goes for most of our 3rd party applications and plugins.

I am running some of them to see if they cause a problem.

Let me know in this thread if you have a problem with something.

For you tech types, here is the release notice with links to New Features and Enhancements.

IPS Community Suite 4.5.3

Released 10/05/2020

Key Changes

We are pleased to announce that Invision Community 4.5 is now available and packed with new features, enhancements, and even a new look! 

Major New Features / Enhancements

New Front-End Design
AdminCP Dark Mode
Site StatisticsSearch Insights, and Club Statistics
Marketplace now built into the AdminCP
Mobile App for iOS and Android (Beta)
Zapier Integration for Invision Cloud Communities

In addition to these new enhancements, there are countless other additions and improvements. Check out our product blog to see what we have been up to.

Before Upgrading
Before proceeding with your upgrade, please note that all third party resources are disabled during the upgrade process. We strongly recommend ensuring that all of your installed applications, plugins and themes have Invision Community 4.5 compatible updates available to allow continued use. 

Please see the full release notes for other important changes, feature removals and deprecations.

Additional Information

Deprecations

The following items have been marked as deprecated in Invision Community 4.5. This means that while they currently work, they will be removed in a future version and will no longer receive bug reports.

Commerce:

• Authorize.net Payment Gateway.
  • Web Hosting & Domain support.

Core:

• BBCode parsing support - upgrading users will be asked during upgrade if they wish to retain BBCode parsing support, while new installations will have the option off by default.
  • APC, Memcache, Wincache and Xcache caching engines , we recommend using Redis instead

Feature Removal

The following features have been removed in Invision Community 4.5.

Core:

• We will no longer address any issues specific to Internet Explorer 11 and below and will not ensure compatibility with those versions.
  • ImageProxy has been removed. On upgrade, there is an option to restore the original remote image links, or direct links to the cached image which will be retained.

Downloads:

• REST API 'files' response in REST API, see /downloads/files/{id}/download instead.

https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

One of the first things I noticed is that the edit and report buttons are now in the hamburger menu (3 dots) on the upper right of your post. Your may have different options than shown below.

edit.JPG

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I've found out that while you can edit your OP in a thread, you can't un-edit it. In other words, once you've made a change via the edit function, you can't cancel the edit. Currently the only work around I've found is to just leave the page and the edit won't be saved.

There is still a Cancel Edit option in all other posts.

I'll report this to IPS.

trthebees

It's not a big deal, but I've found that when on the Unread Content page, if I click on a topic it goes to the start of the topic rather than the last unread post.

• Thanks 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
6 hours ago, trthebees said:

It's not a big deal, but I've found that when on the Unread Content page, if I click on a topic it goes to the start of the topic rather than the last unread post.

If you click on the dot or star to the left of the thread title, it will take you to the first unread post.

• Thanks 1
trthebees
17 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

If you click on the dot or star to the left of the thread title, it will take you to the first unread post.

Ta for your reply. Couldn't see a dot or star, so hunted around. I found it's easy...clicked on my name, then settings, and there's account view behaviour, and i selected go to last unread. As I'm generally crap on theses things I'm feeling quite pleased with myself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
25 minutes ago, trthebees said:

Ta for your reply. Couldn't see a dot or star, so hunted around. I found it's easy...clicked on my name, then settings, and there's account view behaviour, and i selected go to last unread. As I'm generally crap on theses things I'm feeling quite pleased with myself!

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks... :P

It's been so long since I used that, I forgot about it. 

Some options shown below aren't available to everyone..

setting.JPG

settings.JPG

• Like 1
cookie47

I'm now using the Skyblue background.Love it,,Much brighter.

Was using the coffee brown one before.(whatever that was called).?

Chris24
13 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I'm now using the Skyblue background.Love it,,Much brighter.

Was using the coffee brown one before.(whatever that was called).?

Must be the same for me - much brighter.  Like it so far and no functionality issues. 

• Like 2
lamoe

Can't edit topic title - as everyone knows  - editing for me after posting is a biggie:biggrin_01:

HongKongPhooey
On 10/10/2020 at 5:12 PM, Salty Dog said:

It looks like I'm going to have to disable the current Default Magnum Theme because it's no long supported in this version of the forum software.

I have no idea what the Magnum Theme is, so I googled it —>

I will pay you not to re-enable it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
7 hours ago, lamoe said:

Can't edit topic title - as everyone knows  - editing for me after posting is a biggie:biggrin_01:

You should be able to as per your group setting:

edit.JPG

lamoe
8 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

You should be able to as per your group setting:

edit.JPG

I'll try again - It's not like I don't many mistakes:biggrin_01:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

As you may have already noticed. I've placed an Edit and Report button at the bottom of the post... :thumbs_up:

You can still use the new three dots (...) menu on the upper right as well.

Myself, I do a lot of editing and still can't get used to having to go to top right to select Edit.

Having it on the bottom as before saves one less task as opposed to the new way that requires you to open a drop down menu first.

It was a free plugin...:thumbsup:

• Like 1