Pouring a Concrete Slab

cvgtpc1

In the US with the swings in temperatures where I live you have expansion joints.  Since it never freezes in the PI, are they necessary?  I've never noticed them there in slabs but doesn't mean its right....

edit....an outdoor slab.

Edited by cvgtpc1
Ozepete

Yes there should be cut joints specially for outdoors. At least they will most likely cause cracking to occur at those joint lines and not ugly cracks elsewhere. We usually use a right angle grinder to cut a 25 to 35mm depth line. (Usually the day after pouring. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Daddle

Concrete? Or gray material? ;-)

@Ozepeteis correct. Place or score a joint so the slab cracks neatly.  Concrete shrinks a bit as it cures. Especially if it is mixed very wet (ever seen that here?) If there is plenty of steel reinforcement and designed by an engineer (neither likely to happen here) then cracking can be controlled by it being evenly distributed across huge continuous slabs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cvgtpc1
Posted (edited)

There will be rebar, and hopefully its concrete lol

We also built a wall that turned out really nice.  It's just two sides with a vehicle and person gate, and the gates and metal work have been quoted much higher than I would expect.

Can  anybody share experiences with the metal/gate part?

Edited by cvgtpc1