My attic is too hot, how to....?

lv2play

Hi Guys, i recently build this house, it,s not finished yet at the outside, inside need little work but it's very comfortable to live in but the house is really warm. We relieved our carpenters when the Corona outbreak started in Cebu and i can,t contact them anymore, most likely they found and other project, no problem.

i just sticked my head though the manhole and the attack ( more an openspace under the roof ) is really hot, the roofconstructors made small openings in the overhang to cool off and i told them to triple them, good thing but still too hot.

what can i do, I thought of attic fans,  the tilestyle roof, quatro aquas  is hard to to make something like a chimney, so the overhang is most likely the best place without damaging the roof ( worse have a chance of leaking )

The overhang will probably not be the hottest part of the attic, so whats the best solution.

the roof is +/- 220 sq meter and the elevation is +/- 2 meters

One or the other way i cant send pics, will try later

Edited by lv2play
  • Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cookie47

• lv2play

• lamoe

• hyaku

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like you have the first item taken care of -- a white roof.   Your vents under the overhang are not enough.  Google soffit vent for ideas that may apply to you.   Looks like putting in

We just cut long strips of plywood and tacked them up to hold the sheet in place, The side ones over lap so you can just slide the new sheet underneath before fixing. Just like putting up wallpaper. F

Tree shade is good but keep the branches off the house or you'll be inviting the ants in.   If you can find biriba trees to plant that's my personal favorite.  Quick growth with a nice mix of ver

Posted Images

lv2play

if it works, a pic of the roof and the overhang ( 1 meter width )

house.thumb.jpg.ab330d5c402bb1ed510a84c4f13314da.jpg

overhang.thumb.jpg.46d5e03289a67c70d1f53f19a6e00b90.jpg

to_dave007

How many hours each day do the walls of the house, and the windows, have direct sunlight on them?  Direct sunlight through the windows adds a lot of heat.  Warm concrete also adds a lot of heat.

Your solution may not be entirely in your attic.  Some well placed trees may help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
rfm010

Looks like you have the first item taken care of -- a white roof.  

Your vents under the overhang are not enough.  Google soffit vent for ideas that may apply to you.  

Looks like putting insulation, the aluminum foil lined foam (not the fake aluminized plastic), properly under the sheet metal would be a tough job now. 

A ceiling fan to push air into your attic that can exit your vents may help, but how air tight is the attic relative to the inside? 

Other things could be done if you dont mind messing with the roof.  

Of course if you could see the job i'm doing replacing my upstairs flooring (termites are demanding an upgrade) then you would know to take your advice from someone other than me.

• Like 3
cookie47

Hi, Firstly I'm not a house builder,I used to be a bit of a DIY ,,er. However I have lived in the tropics ( Darwin Australia and now the Philippines).and have had houses in both locations. The pictures appear to show the soffit openings quite small..Ours in Cebu are at least twice the width between each opening slit and are virtually the total width/length of the Eve's around the  house.. Also although you have soffit vents do you have also a Ridgeline vent (of some sort) ,there are a couple of designs ( only really a rain protected hole in or near the Ridgeline),, but all do the same job to vent the rising hot air. Without an escape point the hot airs got no where to go,,,yes some hot air will exit from the soffits but if the house is in a protected area you won't get the benefit of crossflow  and that won't happen on still air day's anyway.... BUT the roof  design might allow some breathing along the ridges that can't be seen in your photos????...Also.other than what's already been mentioned,Insulation and shade protection with trees,a fan of some sort. A common device in Australia is a rotating roof vent (can be retrofitted to tin or tiled roof.They require a small breeze to work but are very effective.  But I'm not sure even available in the Philippines. You also say that you stuck your head into the the access hole and it was hot. Well even with foil/polystyrene type Insulation fitted to the roof space in my house in Darwin the roof space was impossible to stay in during midday. So this is just a non professional opinion /observation..

• Thanks 1
Headshot

The best solution would be to put closed cell foam insulation directly under your steel roofing (yes, you would need to remove the roofing temporarily to install the foam under the steel roofing). That would cool down your attic space as well as cooling down the house. If you don't want to do that, then your best option is probably to install fiberglass insulation just above the ceiling in your house. The attic would still be hot, but at least the heat wouldn't transfer down into the living space below. An attic fan would help you cool down the house, but if you install one, you also need to install a roof vent high on the roof. The vents you have in your eaves are totally inadequate to keep the attic space cool.

• Like 1
lamoe

Had same problem in summer in the states.  One section of overhang was  36" wide - put in a  30" x 72" metal screen door (15 SqFt) - bolted in place - in hallway installed a 3 speed 36"   "whole house fan" belt drive - w/ louvers (winters get cold in Chicago - would insulate).

Around 3pm walking under vent really let you know how much hot air was being taken out.

Looked it up - attics can reach 140F+ (60C) -

Also added  insulation  - a lot of insulation - helps when one of your neighbors does it for a living :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
Paddy

I have never understood why houses here (generally) have only soffit vents - especially when one answer I got was “the hot air comes down out of them”. Per @cookie47 a ridge vent (or other high mounted vents) is required for the roof space to “breathe” unless some powered fan is used. The total area of low (soffit) vents should be approximately equal to the total area of high (roof or ridge) vents for efficient, unpowered “breathing”. Finding weatherproof and critter proof roof vents to match your colorroof will likely be a challenge. 

Too late now, but the foil/foam rolls installed immediately under the roof sheets do seem to work. The attic space is still hot, but not as hot as it could otherwise be. I’d hate to pull those sheets to retrofit insulation - you’d never get them back without the odd old screw hole and bent sheets when someone manages to drop one! Retrofitting insulation above the ceiling could certainly help the house temperature. Of course, that depends on how the ceiling is installed. We have a grid arrangement of metal furring strips to support hardiflex panels which would make it a tiresome job to fit fibreglass batts (while working in a very hot space!)

At this point I’d probably look for a powered extractor fan (possibly thermostat controlled and possibly more than 1) to install somewhere out of the way in the soffit. I would expect the soffit vents and general non-airtight nature of metal roofing sheets to allow sufficient (cooler) air intake. 

Edit: I might also try a duct inside the attic so that any soffit installed extractor fan pulls air from high under the metal sheets. 

Edited by Paddy
  • Like 1
cookie47

This is the product that I was mentioning.Comes with adjustable rotating angled base so as to follow the roof line so ends up vertical.Not very cosmeticly appealing but does work in "most" circumstances79b2acbd5ea5ff4fb22fd2b2b166c231.jpg

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

Edited by cookie47
  • Like 1
Paddy
5 hours ago, cookie47 said:

This is the product that I was mentioning.Comes with adjustable rotating angled base so as to follow the roof line so ends up vertical

.79b2acbd5ea5ff4fb22fd2b2b166c231.jpg

The OP has the “fake tile sculpted” colorroof sheets by the look of it. He might have to shape the base and/or otherwise bodge a weatherproof seal - but it will do the job. A can of the roof sheet touch up paint will deal with the colour. 

• Like 2
cookie47

@ Paddy ,,Yep,,,,, exactly.. I think there is an optional fitting kit depending on the current roof design/style, so it's just a matter of removing the appropriate amount of tiles or tin .

Edited by cookie47
Update
Ozepete
10 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Hi, Firstly I'm not a house builder,I used to be a bit of a DIY ,,er. However I have lived in the tropics ( Darwin Australia and now the Philippines).and have had houses in both locations. The pictures appear to show the soffit openings quite small..Ours in Cebu are at least twice the width between each opening slit and are virtually the total width/length of the Eve's around the  house.. Also although you have soffit vents do you have also a Ridgeline vent (of some sort) ,there are a couple of designs ( only really a rain protected hole in or near the Ridgeline),, but all do the same job to vent the rising hot air. Without an escape point the hot airs got no where to go,,,yes some hot air will exit from the soffits but if the house is in a protected area you won't get the benefit of crossflow  and that won't happen on still air day's anyway.... BUT the roof  design might allow some breathing along the ridges that can't be seen in your photos????...Also.other than what's already been mentioned,Insulation and shade protection with trees,a fan of some sort. A common device in Australia is a rotating roof vent (can be retrofitted to tin or tiled roof.They require a small breeze to work but are very effective.  But I'm not sure even available in the Philippines. You also say that you stuck your head into the the access hole and it was hot. Well even with foil/polystyrene type Insulation fitted to the roof space in my house in Darwin the roof space was impossible to stay in during midday. So this is just a non professional opinion /observation..

Totally agree Cookie.  Hot air rises so it is best to exhaust at the peak of the roof.  Insulation should be laying above (and on) the ceiling and not under the roof lining. Best to use insulation bats as trying to insulate an existing ceiling with polystyrene panels and getting them to seal would be difficult. Also their should be a 'silver sake' lining under the roof sheets to reflect heat.

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
cookie47

One of the best decisions we made in Cebu was to have ALL our windows tinted.(two story house).. Fortunately my BIL is a car tinter so it was easy and a no brainier to get done.I must say when we have visitors (particularly from home owners in the same sub division) comments about the coolness are regular ..

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

• Like 2
hyaku
16 hours ago, lv2play said:

Hi Guys, i recently build this house, it,s not finished yet at the outside, inside need little work but it's very comfortable to live in but the house is really warm. We relieved our carpenters when the Corona outbreak started in Cebu and i can,t contact them anymore, most likely they found and other project, no problem.

i just sticked my head though the manhole and the attack ( more an openspace under the roof ) is really hot, the roofconstructors made small openings in the overhang to cool off and i told them to triple them, good thing but still too hot.

what can i do, I thought of attic fans,  the tilestyle roof, quatro aquas  is hard to to make something like a chimney, so the overhang is most likely the best place without damaging the roof ( worse have a chance of leaking )

The overhang will probably not be the hottest part of the attic, so whats the best solution.

the roof is +/- 220 sq meter and the elevation is +/- 2 meters

One or the other way i cant send pics, will try later

Why didn't you insulate? The roof will get so hot you can fry an egg on it. An extractor fan in the soffit will act as a temporary measure. Send somebody up there and insulate. This stuff works and there are no fibres to break off and endanger your health.

images.jpg

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 2