lamoe

CR shower heater

lamoe

Ours on last leg - have to dial to 5 out of 7 before it even starts to heat and flow sh!ty. Landlord paid for new one.

Took old unit off wall - detached hoses - inspected - NO incoming filter. Only  one was at shower head (clogged up).  Cleaned out. Great flow. Gently whacked heater. Shower head filter clogged again. :lol: Which means flow sensor also clogged, hence fully open faucet needed to get heater started.

Admit still in US mindset. Drinkable city water (hard) going through additional charcoal / paper cartridge filters to water heater and mesh filter at shower head.

His agent said "you get heater technician to inspect and install". OK, got maintenance plumber up to watch while I demonstrated problem. Tipped him.

Bought new one  - same as old - but improved  - has 3 included filters - at inlet to external on/off valve which has builtin mesh filter and one at shower head - also has flow control,  Alpha LH-1000, 4,500 W - P5350 Handyman - included shower bar w/ soap holder.

Got tech to detach / attach 2 wires   - could do myself of course but why go though the hassle. Any problems not my fault.:biggrin_01:

rfm010

A recent lightening strike took out our downstairs bath heater.  The only heater, i was quick to point out to wife, that i hadnt installed.  Maid had left the switch to on position and, as i am being careful to avoid mentioning to wife, i never noticed the installers hadnt bothered with the ground.  Lots of smoke and crackly noise but the kid was smart enough to pull the plug and keep quiet about the ground.   I am stupid about electricity, dont know if the switch or the ground actually had anything to do with the burnout.  The maid was impressed by it all and seems to have lost interest in hot showers.

• Haha 1

lamoe
1 hour ago, rfm010 said:

A recent lightening strike took out our downstairs bath heater.  The only heater, i was quick to point out to wife, that i hadnt installed.  Maid had left the switch to on position and, as i am being careful to avoid mentioning to wife, i never noticed the installers hadnt bothered with the ground.  Lots of smoke and crackly noise but the kid was smart enough to pull the plug and keep quiet about the ground.   I am stupid about electricity, dont know if the switch or the ground actually had anything to do with the burnout.  The maid was impressed by it all and seems to have lost interest in hot showers.

It was most likely your flow sensor that got fried. If water flow is too  it won't active power relay - heater won't turn on.

If heater too small (WATTS) can reduce flow to increase temp. 4,500W is too little for pressure we have.  Tata sets at #5 full flow - me max and about 3/4 flow.

Busted Dick

When I moved out here 5 years ago a water heater in the shower was high on my list of essentials. Then I learned about Philippine electrical standards and, particularly, the lack of a ground (called an earth in UK).   Hmmmm I know water is an excellent transmitter of electricity and I also know that human beings are very vulnerable to high voltages. I tell you what, on this matter, I will go Filipino and avoid mixing 220 volts with water and my body.  Yes, sometimes it's cold but most of the time the temperature of the water from the raised tank is tepid and very acceptable to shower in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daddle

Philippine domestic electrical systems are indeed earthed. However the earth connection to the outlet and appliance is often non-existent and unreliable. It would be wise to have an electrician properly earth the heater and associated plumbing. Keep it well maintained.

Better to go without in the warm regions: It is invigorating.

Goetz1965

MY heater is AEG and 5 years old now. Every month I just detach the showerhead and put it into VINEGAR over night  to clean. Theres no filters in the system and I dont care much about that too. When the water flow gets too small I clean the showerhead as its easy.

But vinegar will over time attack the plastic so muriatic acid 1:10 or citric acid is better.
If one day I have a time I will find me a small aquarium pump that I can connect to the hoses and that way I can pump the solution thru the heater also without having it to detach from the wall. Just a bucket with acid and the pump inside will do.

• Like 2