Forum Software Upgrade Version 4.5

Salty Dog

• Administrator
Salty Dog

It looks like an upgrade is coming to the forum. I know some of you hate change, but that's life in the online world of social media.

There will be a learning curve for changed or new features. None more than for me, since I will have to test plugins and maybe have to redo some themes.

I won't be doing the upgrade right away. I like to wait awhile to let them work the bugs out of it first.

We are pleased to announce that Invision Community 4.5 is now available and packed with new features, enhancements, and even a new look! 

Major New Features / Enhancements

- New Front-End Design
- AdminCP Dark Mode
- Site Statistics, Search Insights, and Club Statistics
- Marketplace now built into the AdminCP
- Mobile App for iOS and Android (Beta)
- Zapier Integration for Invision Cloud Communities

In addition to these new enhancements, there are countless other additions and improvements. Check out our product blog to see what we have been up to.

4.5: Introducing our updated default theme

If you've been around Invision Community for a while, you'll know our frontend default theme hasn't significantly evolved since the early days of 4.0. Indeed, the last significant refresh came with 4.2.

With the upcoming release of 4.5, we wanted to revisit the default theme and give it a facelift for 2020, as well as make incremental improvements to the underlying codebase as a stepping stone to a bigger re-engineering in a future version.

In this entry, I want to talk a little about some of the design decisions that went into building the new theme.

Goals

Redesigning for the sake of it is never a good idea, so we first laid out what we wanted to achieve:

A brighter UI with more saturation & contrast and simpler overall color scheme

Improved typography

Better, more consistent, spacing around and between elements, especially on mobile

Better logical grouping of sections of each page

Reducing underutilized links/buttons on the page and finding alternative ways of making them available

Improving how post states are displayed

Modernizing and enhancing the underlying code that powers the default theme

Let's talk a little about each of these.

Brighter UI

The most obvious change will be that our default colors are brighter and more saturated than before. Before making any changes, we first created a color scale for both neutrals and the brand color (blue, of course). This gave us a flexible but consistent palette of colors to choose from, with appropriate contrast built in. Neutrals have a touch of blue too to avoid seeming washed out.

We've simplified the style, in particular reducing reliance on background colors to differentiate sections within cards (a card essentially being an ipsBox, for those who are familiar with our framework). Instead, we use spacing, borders and appropriate typography to achieve visual separation.

• Like 2
Soupeod

It’s always better to do or allow OT&E before implementation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1