Cebu 3rd Bridge to Mactan (Update September 07, 2020)

Woolf

That would be great! Driving over the old bridge is very congested.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• Headshot

• Flakes

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite interesting for for those like me that haven't been out for a while.

Perhaps it's really being put in place to make it feasible to bring the 1000's and 1000's of truckloads of fill that will be required to reclaim all that Cordoba swampland, and turn it into reclaimed

I'm all for the 3rd bridge, but if they don't widen certain roads on Mactan, there will still be serious traffic problems. With the roads as they are now, it's a long haul across Mactan from Cordova t

Headshot

Well, having a toll bridge will ensure that the numbers of vehicles on it will remain low. Jeepneys and buses will certainly avoid it as will many private vehicles. I'm sure that taxis will only use it is passengers agree to pay the toll.

• Like 1
bargeman

Why not put a small toll on both the existing bridges as well.

That way, when they need repairs, the toll income should cover, or nearly cover, the cost of repairs.

Self financing, better than having to raid the depleted coffers of the municipalities responsible.

SkyMan

I can see the PUJ/PUB crowd refusing support without get a free pass because they supporting the poor people.  

I'm sure that taxis will only use it is passengers agree to pay the toll.
But they won't tell the pax until they get to the toll booth.
Woolf

Self financing, better than having to raid the depleted coffers of the municipalities responsible.

As far as I know both bridges are maintained by DPWH (Department of Public Works and Highways)

a central government department

Buko Beach

Why not put a small toll on both the existing bridges as well.

That way, when they need repairs, the toll income should cover, or nearly cover, the cost of repairs.

If there was a toll on the existing bridges, where do you think that money will end up? Exactly.

One thing is certain it wouldn't go towards repairs.

Kind of like the NAIA airport terminal fees, a lot of money coming in but very little improvement (if any).

• Like 2
bargeman

Kind of like the NAIA airport terminal fees, a lot of money coming in but very little improvement (if any).

Do you have figures to support your comment?

Buko Beach

Do you have figures to support your comment?

Figures in the Philippines are like aswangs, everyone talks about it and some have claimed to have actually seen them but they are not to be believed.

If you think every peso of revenue brought in by a toll will go towards bridge repairs or into the general revenue funds, you have an overly optimistic view of things.

• 1 month later...
contraman

THE cost to build a third Mactan-Cebu bridge has grown from P17 billion to P27.9 billion and this would not do the public good.

So said the legal officer of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 as he cautioned the agency on the increase of the project cost to be “grossly excessive and detrimental to public interest.”

From the original project cost of P17 billion when it was first proposed to the government in 2014, the project cost now stands at P27.9 billion due to capitalized interest and inflation adjustment, according to the proponent, the Metro Pacific Tollways Development Corp. (MPTDC).

In his legal opinion on the implementation of the Cebu Cordova Bridge Infrastructure Project, DPWH 7 regional legal chief Brando Raya said the increase in the total project cost by P10 billion will be the basis for the amount of toll that will be collected from motorists who will use the bridge.

“In other words, it is the public who will ultimately shoulder this increase while the said money will go to the pockets of private individuals,” Raya said.

This is contrary to the principle that the toll to be shouldered by the public “must be commensurate to the actual cost of the project, given a reasonable rate of return on the part of the investors,” he said.

SOURCE

Edited by contraman
  • Like 1
samatm

article confuses me discussing two different bridge projects.... the 3rd Bridge is already full steam ahead.. but now.. its getting stacked on by a lot opportunist looking for a cut in the action.    The  Bohol Bridge is a still a pipe dream.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi has construction started yet of the Mactan third bridge? What do u think will change for the better in Mactan soon as it is completed?

Kabisay-an gid
  1. They just had the groundbreaking ceremony for the project in March. I'm not sure if actual construction has started yet.
  2. The bridge most likely won't be completed until at least 2021.
  3. It will be a toll bridge.
  4. The Cebu City end of the bridge will start at the mouth of the Guadalupe River, and the Cordova end at Barangay Pilipog.

to_dave007

I saw article in one of the papers in about June to report that all bank financing was in place for the project.  I'm curious when we see first construction as well.

I "suspect" they may want the Talamban underpass project completed before they do anything to disrupt SRP traffic.  Just IMHO.

Headshot

I would try to avoid using western logic when trying to figure out the hows, whys and whens of local projects. Trying to apply logic will only get you more confused than you already are. The officials who see themselves as over these matters will move when they are comfortable that their skim has been secured and well-hidden ... and not before. And, if they figure they can get more skim by dragging their feet, then you can count on numerous delays.

• Thanks 2