onemoretry

Could the Thai way work for the Philippines

onemoretry

To get foreign people in to the country can they copy the thai strategy ? and you think a wise way to get tourist industry start rolling again ?

here is the thai way 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/1977391/long-stay-visits-possible-this-winter

Long-stay visits possible this winter

Authorities are finalising a plan that would make it possible for retired, sun-seeking foreigners to spend the coming winter months in Thailand in an effort to save the ailing tourism industry, says a prominent hospital executive.

Although the country’s borders have been closed to most foreigners since late March to fight the pandemic, the government is proposing to grant visas to foreigners who want to stay in Thailand for up to nine months, said Boon Vanasin, chairman of Thonburi Healthcare Group Plc, the country’s third largest private hospital firm, which runs hospitals and retirement homes.

These long-term visitors would begin their stay with a mandatory 14-day quarantine and frequent virus tests in of Phuket. After three weeks on the island and negative test results, they would be free to travel to other regions of the country, according to Dr Boon, who said he has direct knowledge of the government’s plan and expects the arrivals to begin before winter.

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn reiterated on Saturday that he supported the idea of a long-stay tourist visa for selected groups.

Speaking at a news conference during a tour arranged for several ambassadors in Samut Prakan, Mr Phiphat said the initial visa would be for 90 days and could be extended twice more for a total of 270 days.

Traisulee Traisoranakul, deputy spokeswoman in the Prime Minister’s Office, said earlier that while the government had approved the plan in principle, it is still finalising measures to reduce the risk of virus infections.

The opening-up would offer a lifeline to the devastated tourism and hospitality industry, which is struggling to survive after five months without foreign visitors. Although Thailand has been one of the world’s most successful countries in curbing Covid-19 — it has not had a locally transmitted case for more than three months — the tourism-reliant economy has been one of the worst-hit globally, projected to shrink by a record 8.5% this year.

The country reported one imported coronavirus infection on Saturday, and none on Sunday.

Also..have not any one react why they have so less death and no one in over 100 days there...I find an interesting story and explanation about it to..but that would be another topic ..

Clark be the pinoy place on the same strategy ?? 

• Like 2

Chris24

The idea could certainly work.  The main difference right now is that the Philippines is much more locked down for in-country travel, and of course it's safer to stay put anyway.

• Like 2

onemoretry

Now thai go thru about it and I really hope it works so Philippine can make some learn from it so I can get back haha.. no I think need for everyone and for the economic in general in the country even if Thai is I guess more depending of the tourist...

Well we all need hope and I hope this is a start

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1985839/cabinet-approves-long-term-tourist-visas

• Like 1