The Forum Seems Dead

Headshot

• Administrator
Salty Dog
1 hour ago, PeteHK said:

I think quite a lot of us need to recognise we are part of a, dare I say it, declining demographic. My association with Cebu goes back to 1986. Joined the Forum originally in 2005 I think. I am now 71. The web-based forum platform model has been in decline for a long while. Today I tried to find the Yahoo Groups that I was also a member of. Gone. The reality now is the social media group as in FB. Our expat successors here are far more familiar with social media and these groups seem pretty active. They are also moderated.  I don't know the financial/commercial implications of the web-based forum model but one option to ensure the long-term vitality of the LINC forum might be to think about transitioning to social media. This is not intended as a criticism or attack on present platform - just speculating on other options.

The forum has a FB Group with the same name. You can access it by clicking on the FB Icon on the bottom of any LinC page. This is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/cebuforum

We get a lot of members joining, but very few ever post. I would guess it doesn't average a new discussion per day. Some new discussions might have active comments for a day or so.

I think that just being a member of a FB Group is some type of status symbol, especially for Filipinos. Some of them are members of hundreds of FB Groups. Not enough hours in a day to be active on that many groups.

Some join just to advertise on the Group.

Currently, there aren't any rules other than FB rules that apply to everyone.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• Headshot

• Ozepete

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What ever happened to Wombat? I joined in 2009 after I got married, and quickly became a daily fixture for 2 or 3 years, but then I inadvertently got caught up in some sort of factional war, whic

Also back then ..many of the guys had projects that they documented . Building a house Building a wall Making hollow blocks Digging a well Owning a business ( piggery , sari sari , internet cafe

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog
12 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Never really considered the fact that only the CR has a dramatic site banner which is very noticeable, while the open threads don't.

Expecting something to be there and not noticing when it isn't....

It should show up on the sides as well...

Capture.JPG

• Haha 1
Topper

Maybe it's time to bring back Whippy. He'll get the ball roiling again for sure. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Soupeod
18 minutes ago, Topper said:

Maybe it's time to bring back Whippy. He'll get the ball roiling again for sure. :) 

Topper, you might want to read other topics.

rizla

965053141_Screenshot2020-09-09at13_46_51.thumb.png.05b9b3e6d063cce1b8dfc34c6e11aa0d.png

How can one tell quickly which threads are open and which are in the CR?

1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

It should show up on the sides as well...

Capture.JPG

To be honest I never look at the surroundings on any thread, I just read the posts, hence my suggestion that the title be a different colour or highlighted, that way there can be no mistake.

Edited by rizla
added pic
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
8 hours ago, Headshot said:

I haven't checked the stats in a while. Do you think there is somebody on the forum who posts more than you do… 

Touche. :biggrin_01:

lamoe
10 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

The note is working - prevented me from making an inappropriate post - will make a MEME

13 hours ago, Headshot said:

I haven't checked the stats in a while. Do you think there is somebody on the forum who posts more than you do?

Depends on which thread / section

smokey
On 9/9/2020 at 4:18 PM, Gus said:

Also back then ..many of the guys had projects that they documented .

Building a house
Building a wall
Making hollow blocks
Digging a well
Owning a business ( piggery , sari sari , internet cafe )
Wombats Womb, one of the most notable.
Building a boat .

Those were the type of threads that I found really interesting and often educational.
Sad to say theyre few and far between nowadays.

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

Hey i am about to make some tea    want me to make.a report?

• Haha 1
baby43

Over the years I have been a member of another forums, however they all seem to go dead, maybe same people on them all the time, sometimes I notice someone people on here who has not been on here for a long time, again same ones making comments, pity those ones who maybe come here once a year or less the administors should make a time limited for them make a ruling some many times a year they should comment or give the a warning to get involved again maybe they got pissed off also , better we got those members to have a say instead same ones day after day making comments.

I do agree with Smokey, I do enjoy what some members are doing house building etc with interest.

I know I should say more at times.

There was another member here called Enuff , i found him very interesting, he seemed to give very good information where to buy things are the right price, hardware products, where to eat the special deals, I even meet around 2 years ago , went to his place had lunch 2 other members turned up, I asked Enuff why he don't contribute to this forum any more , he told me he got pissed off no reason given, for me most of the time I am happy here, however there are some smart ass here if you ask about something they make stupid remarks at times has pissed me off, the administrator should cut this out give those member a warning.

This forum at time had had a lot a valuable information especially for me who only come there as tourist.  

• Like 1
cvgtpc1

I was gone for awhile and happy to see some of the old timers are still here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
smokey
8 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

I was gone for awhile and happy to see some of the old timers are still here.

hey you did your time dont let anyone give you grief and i alway thought you were a victim of mistaken identity there are lots of people out there with 7 fingers on one hand  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
savarity

Could also be that the Philippines, or Cebu City, just isn't as popular of a retirement/visitors destination than before?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
rfm010

"The forum seems dead". 

Then it seems that venus might be one up on the forum.  Has become a hot topic in the past few hours:

http://astrobiology.com/2020/09/phosphine-detected-in-the-atmosphere-of-venus---an-indicator-of-possible-life.html

Phosphine Detected In The Atmosphere of Venus - An Indicator of Possible Life?

There is a big press release coming out tomorrow (Monday, 14 September) morning at the Royal Astronomical Society. They want you to know its big news. The press release has been issued in advance to some journalists under embargo - but not others (like us). We have not seen the press release. But according to several sources knowledgeable with the details of the announcement (who are not under embargo) phosphine has been discovered in the atmosphere of Venus. Its presence suggests - suggests - some strange chemistry going on since phosphine is something you'd only expect to see if life (as we know it) was involved.

The presence of phosphine is seen by many astrobiologists as a "biosignature" i.e. an indicator of the possible presence of life. The detection was made by the Atacama (ALMA) array located in Chile and the James Clerk Maxwell telescope located in Hawaii. The research team includes members from the University of Manchester, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Cardiff University. A paper will appear in the 14 September issue of Nature Astronomy.

From what we're told the researchers have concluded that abiotic mechanisms (i.e. ones that do not involve life) that might produce phosphine cannot account for the large amount that they have detected. The phosphine has been detected in the region within the atmosphere of Venus that is considered by some to be potentially habitable. As to what spin the researchers put on this, we'll have to wait for reporters who have the press release or are allowed to participate in the Zoom press conference thing tomorrow at 15:00 GMT to let us know.

Keith's 11:19 pm EDT update: This video just appeared online. Apparently someone got it from MIT and reposted it on their site - with a somewhat misleading title.

A youtube link follows but i havent watched it yet, am up to my eyeballs in dolomite.

Maybe could be a separate topic?

• Like 1