The Forum Seems Dead

Headshot

Swissrider
Yet, you're first post in over 5 months is to start over where you left off. Complaining about something you assumed staff had done to wrong you. 
Do you want to try this again? Complain one more time about staff, or the way they run the forum, and you're gone for good.
You've called me a liar and accused me of things I had no part in. Paul would have canned your ass a long time ago. 
By the way, I wasn't even the one who suspended you...
Until you can learn to play nice, you will be on moderation. That means all of you post will have to be cleared by staff.

I like this forum. Very useful. But I think the rules are too strict. Saltydog gave me a warning twice already. To my surprise really. I lived for some time in Thailand and I'm still a menber of the forum THAIVISA. What a difference. They also have rules. No insults or imflammatory posts. BUT the generale tune is much more lighthearted, funny and ironic . Go and have a look. Lucky this one in Cebu has at least a section: jokes and humour. In the other sections it seems you have to be careful what you are saying. Papa watching you...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• Headshot

• Ozepete

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What ever happened to Wombat? I joined in 2009 after I got married, and quickly became a daily fixture for 2 or 3 years, but then I inadvertently got caught up in some sort of factional war, whic

Also back then ..many of the guys had projects that they documented . Building a house Building a wall Making hollow blocks Digging a well Owning a business ( piggery , sari sari , internet cafe

Posted Images

Swissrider
Maybe there's not many of us expats left here in Cebu?
Also wondering if site is SEO optimized/ friendly? It would affect the placement of pages on Google searches (ie for new potential members).
Just a thought. I'm happy that this forum exists. It provides a ton of useful info that I can't find anywhere else. 
Aren
what is SEO optimized/friendly?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Chris24
1 hour ago, Swissrider said:

what is SEO optimized/friendly?

SEO is Search Engine Optimization, basically it means that content from posts can be detected and indexed by google and other internet search engines.  There are SEO-driven settings and techniques that make it more likely (or less likely) that a post will show up in an internet search, for example "cost of an apartment in Dumaguete".  Good SEO increases search hits and (in theory) traffic to a site, whereas as bad or lax SEO  makes a site miss opportunities to attract traffic.  I'm not an SEO expert by any means, but my own opinion is that LinC is very well optimized and does just fine showing up in searches and attracting traffic from people using search terms that are relevant to its content. 

• Like 1
mikecon3

I’m that guy on Facebook with 50 friends, most of them family, that posts once a week if that! I’m on here several times a day, and I read all the posts; there is a lot of very useful information. But I am not there, so I don’t really feel I can contribute as much as guys living there. Once I’m there and trying to find this and that, and maybe even meet some of the members, I do expect that to change.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
12 hours ago, Swissrider said:

I like this forum. Very useful. But I think the rules are too strict. Saltydog gave me a warning twice already. To my surprise really. I lived for some time in Thailand and I'm still a menber of the forum THAIVISA. What a difference. They also have rules. No insults or imflammatory posts. BUT the generale tune is much more lighthearted, funny and ironic . Go and have a look. Lucky this one in Cebu has at least a section: jokes and humour. In the other sections it seems you have to be careful what you are saying. Papa watching you...

You've never been given a warning by me or any other staff. Well not until now.

You have however posted about how the staff was running the forum on several occasions. You assumed my moderation post below was directed at you and responded as such in the following post, which I responded to.

On 8/31/2020 at 5:01 AM, Salty Dog said:

Let's stay with the humour please.

This isn't a general thread for discussions about all things Australian. If that's what you want to discuss, then open a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Just remember that discussions about politics and controversial government programs/policies (except for Philippines) aren't allowed anywhere on the forum except in "The Comfort Room Forums".

On 8/31/2020 at 7:51 AM, Swissrider said:

You seem to be an overly sensitive person. I think nobody seems to be offended here.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:30 AM, Salty Dog said:

When staff post something concerning moderation of a thread, it's not open to debate in the thread. If you have something to say about it, put it in a PM to staff.

Speaking of the rules, you might want to read them.

Especially the following:

On 1/10/2018 at 1:17 AM, Member #1 said:

12. Forum Staff and Members

• Administrators / Moderators - Each of the staff know their respective duties and what is required of them to help maintain order on the forums. If you have an issue with one of the Staff, contact an Administrator via a PM to sort out your issue. Do not post your issues on the forum. Doing so will result in a warning with a suspension or banning.
  • Forum Members - Please leave moderating to the staff. If you believe a topic or post violates the rules, click the "report" button at the top right corner of the post. Alternatively, you may send a PM to one of the moderators or administrators on the site. Please include a link to the post in question. Do not police the forum yourself, as that often leads to arguments, flaming, and someone getting a warning or banned. If you have an issue with the forum or how the forum is being managed, contact one of the staff via a PM. Do not post your issues on the forum. Doing so will result in a warning with a suspension or banning.

Apparently you didn't read it very well, because in your next post you again commented about staff moderation.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:54 AM, Swissrider said:

emoji16.png. Saltydog reprimanded me. He says my text was inappropriate. So no more comments. Sorry.

The above statement is untrue. Either you have a problem with the interpretation or it's an outright exaggeration or even a lie. Regardless, you should have taken you own advice.

So here we are you're making a false statement against a staff member, yet again. Even if it had been true, you were just last week told If you have an issue with the forum or how the forum is being managed, contact one of the staff via a PM. Do not post your issues on the forum. Doing so will result in a warning with a suspension or banning. 

That makes 3 strikes and you've only posted 19 times. I'm not even counting the sexual innuendo you made about a member's wife, which in itself is a bannable offence. 

So now what should I do? I don't want to be accused of not enforcing rules fairly from one member to the next.

Maybe I should ask the member whose wife you posted about, what he thinks I should do.

At the least you deserve a warning with a suspension, but a banning is the more appropriate action.

I may regret this, but being as you're a New Member and English isn't your native language, I'm giving you one last chance before being banned permanently. 

Thanks to all the forum members who have taken the time to read this post. I wanted to put it all out here in the open because this is the second time a member has posted lies about staff in this thread.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
softail

I think that the forum started struggling when some of the larger than life personalities like Paul and Big Rob among other’s either died or left. As someone mentioned that it was similar to a Wild West environment, was something of an adventure loging in every day. 

I try and contribute regularly however being stranded in the US for the time being , haven’t dome much lately. 

• Like 4
Ozepete
8 minutes ago, softail said:

I think that the forum started struggling when some of the larger than life personalities like Paul and Big Rob among other’s either died or left. As someone mentioned that it was similar to a Wild West environment, was something of an adventure loging in every day. 

I try and contribute regularly however being stranded in the US for the time being , haven’t dome much lately. 

I think you nailed it... tuning in to see what they, the watchman etc., and who could forget the onion trader to name just a few were up to. (There were dozens) They certainly added a spark to the day!

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 4
I think you nailed it... tuning in to see what they, the watchman etc., and who could forget the onion trader to name just a few were up to. (There were dozens) They certainly added a spark to the day!
Also back then ..many of the guys had projects that they documented .

Building a house
Building a wall
Making hollow blocks
Digging a well
Owning a business ( piggery , sari sari , internet cafe )
Wombats Womb, one of the most notable.
Building a boat .

Those were the type of threads that I found really interesting and often educational.
Sad to say theyre few and far between nowadays.

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
lamoe
On 9/7/2020 at 1:58 PM, Headshot said:

I take it that the admins are on vacation. They haven't posted in a few days, and the forum is really dead as a result. Roger only posts when he wants to jump on somebody, so I seldom notice anyway. I suppose if we had no staff dedicated to keeping fresh material coming, the forum would look like this all the time. Maybe Lamoe is also on vacation. I know that Skyman is on vacation, but even on vacation, he still finds the time to post every once in a while. I suppose everybody else is asleep.

Vacation / suspension  I violated a  rule - same rule as received last warning warning for.

Considered a post to be political and responded as such without realizing was in open section.

Must remember to verify where the post is. Now have Post-IT-Note "CR?" stuck on laptop :biggrin_01:

• Haha 2
KID

MAYBE, we are all just getting old and crusty :D I know in the 14+ years I have been a member, I have worn some tread off the tires. Hell half the time, I have a hard time seeing the keyboard

Edited by KID
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Headshot
On 9/7/2020 at 8:35 PM, Salty Dog said:

There are only 3 staff now, so I hardly think our posts have been carrying the forum...:unknw:

How about not creating a single word/clickbait tread title (Fixed). You of all people should know better...:rolleyes:

I haven't checked the stats in a while. Do you think there is somebody on the forum who posts more than you do? I have nothing against you  posting as much as you want. It just becomes very noticeable when you don't.

Sorry about the title. It was just what popped into my head when I noticed how few posts had been entered in the days before I commented.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
PeteHK

I think quite a lot of us need to recognise we are part of a, dare I say it, declining demographic. My association with Cebu goes back to 1986. Joined the Forum originally in 2005 I think. I am now 71. The web-based forum platform model has been in decline for a long while. Today I tried to find the Yahoo Groups that I was also a member of. Gone. The reality now is the social media group as in FB. Our expat successors here are far more familiar with social media and these groups seem pretty active. They are also moderated.  I don't know the financial/commercial implications of the web-based forum model but one option to ensure the long-term vitality of the LINC forum might be to think about transitioning to social media. This is not intended as a criticism or attack on present platform - just speculating on other options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
rizla
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Vacation / suspension  I violated a  rule - same rule as received last warning warning for.

Considered a post to be political and responded as such without realizing was in open section.

Must remember to verify where the post is. Now have Post-IT-Note "CR?" stuck on laptop :biggrin_01:

It would make sense to have some form of highlighted topic heading or coloured to emphasise the difference between hidden and open forums. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
1 hour ago, rizla said:

It would make sense to have some form of highlighted topic heading or coloured to emphasise the difference between hidden and open forums. 

The theme in the CR is significantly different. It's a forced theme and should show regardless of a member's chosen default theme. It shows on tablets and smartphones as well. I'm not sure if it shows on Tapatalk though.

tcrw.jpg

As you can see, the thread lamoe thought he was in "Coronavirus Articles, Discussions, and Videos (CR)" shows that it's in the CR in its title. I try to do this for CR threads that have similar thread titles on the open forum.

lamoe
5 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

The theme in the CR is significantly different. It's a forced theme and should show regardless of a member's chosen default theme. It shows on tablets and smartphones as well. I'm not sure if it shows on Tapatalk though.

tcrw.jpg

As you can see, the thread lamoe thought he was in "Coronavirus Articles, Discussions, and Videos (CR)" shows that it's in the CR in its title. I try to do this for CR threads that have similar thread titles on the open forum.

Never really considered the fact that only the CR has a dramatic site banner which is very noticeable, while the open threads don't.

Expecting something to be there and not noticing when it isn't.

Hence my to self to check

image.thumb.png.cdb6bf12b30b4701456995361a956e11.png

• Thanks 1