The Forum Seems Dead

Headshot

Headshot

I take it that the admins are on vacation. They haven't posted in a few days, and the forum is really dead as a result. Roger only posts when he wants to jump on somebody, so I seldom notice anyway. I suppose if we had no staff dedicated to keeping fresh material coming, the forum would look like this all the time. Maybe Lamoe is also on vacation. I know that Skyman is on vacation, but even on vacation, he still finds the time to post every once in a while. I suppose everybody else is asleep.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• Headshot

• Ozepete

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What ever happened to Wombat? I joined in 2009 after I got married, and quickly became a daily fixture for 2 or 3 years, but then I inadvertently got caught up in some sort of factional war, whic

Also back then ..many of the guys had projects that they documented . Building a house Building a wall Making hollow blocks Digging a well Owning a business ( piggery , sari sari , internet cafe

Posted Images

Ozepete

Yes it's sad. There are lots of members but very few who pitch in and post anything,

but how do we get them involved? 

• Like 1
Ozepete

Just hope that the forum can hang in there until everyone is released from Covid prison and start living again. Once a vaccine is available, (Hopefully early 2021) I think there is going to be an explosion of activity with cashed up escapees keen to travel and live again. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey
3 hours ago, Headshot said:

I take it that the admins are on vacation. They haven't posted in a few days, and the forum is really dead as a result.

I never knew you liked our posts so much nor that you need us to entertain you. Maybe you could like a post once in a while to let peeps know?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
Kreole

This seems like the normal flow of things without being alarmist.  When important issues arise, there are plenty of us who post or reply.  It is important not to depend on any one source for your information or stimulation.  This forum serves a very important service by keeping us informed when it matters, so, "no news is good news" for me.

As per the explosion of activity after everyone is vaccinated, I wouldn't jump the gun.  I predict that we are in for a series of rolling lockdowns because lockdowns don't really do anything but kick the can down the road, since this is the only "weapon" in the arsenal of this so called "war on covid" here in the Philippines.  It hasn't worked anywhere else in the world, so it is pure magical thinking that it will work here.

The evidence of this disastrous policy is becoming universally acknowledged, and was as obviously predictable as it was avoidable.  So many crashed economies, unemployed, loss of businesses that will never return, loss of freedoms that will never return...the list just goes on and on. 

But, you know that governments can't admit that they were wrong, so they just double down, in order to avoid losing face, by which time economies will be driven into the ground and the countries are forced into a debt they will never be able to repay in order to prop up their economies until the next so called pandemic occurs.

It is as simple as this;

1.  the virus explodes and government and media hysteria ensues

2.  many people are infected and some die

3.  lockdowns are enforced until the areas are supposedly "virus free"

4.  lockdowns are suspended until the population of people, who have not been infected or exposed to the virus, become infected

5.  lockdowns are reimposed

6  ad infinitum

Any bets?

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 2
PeteHK

Many of the kinds of topics that I would post on are just not likely to appear during an extended lockdown. This includes where to  eat out, where to stay, where to buy stuff. One other major factor is the growth of alternative groups associated with social media. These groups, a number of which are Cebu specific, seem to be quite active.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Bama
4 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Yes it's sad. There are lots of members but very few who pitch in and post anything,

but how do we get them involved? 

Stop banning/ suspending LinC members for nonsensical reasons might get a few people back.

My last suspension that lasted for a week was for asking why I had been banned from LinC when I hadn't posted anything here for months.This sure cut my post count down to zero in a hurry !!!! 

Edited by Bama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Headshot
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

I never knew you liked our posts so much nor that you need us to entertain you. Maybe you could like a post once in a while to let peeps know?

Well, to be fair, I was just pointing out how such a large proportion of topics and posts are due to the efforts of just a few. That becomes very obvious when those few stop posting. It had nothing to do with whether or not I liked them... :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
RogerDuMond
6 hours ago, Headshot said:

Roger only posts when he wants to jump on somebody,

I am still under total lockdown here, so there aren't many things that I have current knowledge of. Yes, I do "jump on somebody" when they say something that has no basis in fact in order to attempt to set the record straight.

But hey, if you want to know anything about raising goats for meat or milk in the Philippines, ask away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
12 hours ago, Headshot said:

I take it that the admins are on vacation. They haven't posted in a few days, and the forum is really dead as a result. Roger only posts when he wants to jump on somebody, so I seldom notice anyway. I suppose if we had no staff dedicated to keeping fresh material coming, the forum would look like this all the time. Maybe Lamoe is also on vacation. I know that Skyman is on vacation, but even on vacation, he still finds the time to post every once in a while. I suppose everybody else is asleep.

There are only 3 staff now, so I hardly think our posts have been carrying the forum...:unknw:

How about not creating a single word/clickbait tread title (Fixed). You of all people should know better...:rolleyes:

On 5/15/2019 at 4:49 AM, Salty Dog said:

Thread Titles & Clickbaiting 

There are numerous definitions for clickbaiting. In the forum's context, we'll just call it a thread title that is deceptive, or gives no idea as to the topic of the thread.

Regardless if it's your intention or if you're just unaware you're doing it, please insure your thread title conveys the topic of the thread. 

It's fairly easy when posting from an online article or a YouTube video. Using the title of the article/video or at least part of the title, will usually be enough to convey the topic of the thread.

The thread title should give some idea as to what the threads topic is.

Titles like "Neat Video", "You won't believe this", "Here we go again", "Guess what I did yesterday" and so on, in no way convey what the topic of the thread is about.

If you're going to the trouble to create a thread to ask a question, post more than a word or two followed by either !!!!! or ?????. Give members an idea of what your question pertains to.

While on the subject of thread titles, they should not contain an emoji and should not be in all caps.

• Administrator
Salty Dog
7 hours ago, Bama said:

Stop banning/ suspending LinC members for nonsensical reasons might get a few people back.

My last suspension that lasted for a week was for asking why I had been banned from LinC when I hadn't posted anything here for months.This sure cut my post count down to zero in a hurry !!!! 

Yet, you're first post in over 5 months is to start over where you left off. Complaining about something you assumed staff had done to wrong you. 

Do you want to try this again? Complain one more time about staff, or the way they run the forum, and you're gone for good.

You've called me a liar and accused me of things I had no part in. Paul would have canned your ass a long time ago. 

By the way, I wasn't even the one who suspended you...

Until you can learn to play nice, you will be on moderation. That means all of you post will have to be cleared by staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
arentol

Maybe there's not many of us expats left here in Cebu?

Also wondering if site is SEO optimized/ friendly? It would affect the placement of pages on Google searches (ie for new potential members).

Just a thought. I'm happy that this forum exists. It provides a ton of useful info that I can't find anywhere else. 

Aren

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Chris24
1 hour ago, arentol said:

Maybe there's not many of us expats left here in Cebu?

Also wondering if site is SEO optimized/ friendly? It would affect the placement of pages on Google searches (ie for new potential members).

Just a thought. I'm happy that this forum exists. It provides a ton of useful info that I can't find anywhere else. 

Aren

It's on the first page (hit #4) for me when a enter a google search for "living in Cebu".

The normal things to discuss like where you went on vacation recently and other travel plans are pretty much off the table for now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
savarity

Yes, there can be apprehension about saying the wrong thing on here, but also it makes sense that many may have left the Philippines due to covid. I certainly did.

• Like 2
Busted Dick

Whilst I read this forum most days, there are a few reasons why I don't post so much. 

I used to post quite a lot but stopped posting a few years ago when the idiots took over.  They are gone now but I never got back into the habit of posting. 

Facebook has taken over social media leaving message boards largely defunct. 

Also, I tend to use my phone to read this board; easy to read but not so easy to reply. It has taken me almost 10 minutes to type this reply; I could probably have done it in 2 minutes on the computer but I rarely use it these days. 

• Like 2